navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Let's bring it up one more time
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Let's bring it up one more time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 1999-12-30 11:01 PM

Tonight I received an e-mail from my good friend and mainstay poet of our group, Sy. For anyone who doesn't know Sy, he is one of the kindest, gentlest, most peaceful, uncontroversial people I know. His letter was a plea for me, or any of us, to please do something about the multiple postings. He wants to read the poetry and give comments but he simply cannot keep up, due to people coming in and dropping 4,5,6 or more poems at a time. If it brings someone like Sy to the point of mild complaint, I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.
     I know this has been discussed before and some things have been tried, like e-mailing new members and asking them to refrain from the multiple posts, but we do not seem to have accomplished much.
     We need a solution. With the exception of having someone sitting there counting poems(and the job doesn't pay that much), I don't know how we can keep control of this, unless there is some sophisticated bit of programming that would do the trick.
     Plus, if we were to come up with some guidelines and, if people disregarded them, we exercised deletion rights, there are members always on the lookout for any criticism possible who would decry us as Nazi sympathisers.
     So what do we do? Help, please. Sy could use some help......me, too.

© Copyright 1999 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 1999-12-30 11:05 PM

When a new member registers, an email is sent with the password..I wonder if a reminder in that email would be a good thing? Although I've seen members who've been here some time, post several in a row.. The guidelines ask that members do not post too many at a time..but do we know if they are reading the guidelines?  
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 1999-12-30 11:22 PM

When a new member receives that initial email with their password, a note with some friendly advice is included.  Among other information, are these excerpts:

quote:
The very first thing a new member typically wants to do is post their poetry. After all, that's what Passions is all about and you've probably got quite a bit of it that we've never seen. And I assure you, we're all looking forward to it, too. But I'm afraid if you jump in and immediately post several poems back-to-back, you might be a little disappointed with the results.....

....Here's my advice. Comment on a number of poems first, maybe a half dozen or more. Everyone likes to see comments on their work. And, as they see your name, they'll start looking for YOUR poetry. Then post one of your poems, two at the most. I can practically guarantee you that you'll get more responses. Most of the members try to comment on two or three poems for every poem of their own they post.

So, these new folks are certainly getting the information... Now how to get everyone to heed it is the next "Conundrum", eh, Sy???    

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 12-30-1999).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 1999-12-30 11:34 PM

Thank you both for your responses. You have successfully described what is being done that is obviously not doing the trick. Does anyone have a suggestion that might work?
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

4 posted 1999-12-30 11:35 PM

I can relate to the frustration. Although I try to read and comment on all the poetry posted in Open as well as a couple others, I have found lately that I can't keep up. And I find also that I am missing many that have fallen to the farther back pages before I have a chance to see them. It does frustrate me to the point that I have turned off the computer early the last two nights. Although I don't think deleting a post is the way to go, initially, perhaps the time has come to move from 'suggestions' to 'rules' of a determined number per night and then follow the protocol when a rule is broken. Then if that doesn't work.....maybe deleting is the only way to go.    

Denise

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 1999-12-30 11:51 PM

What if everyone only read ONE post in a multiple posting from a new member..and if the first reply doesn't mention the courtesy rule of no multiple posts, please feel free to mention it. They get the hint after a bit...  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 1999-12-31 12:11 PM

Unrealistic, Sharon. We need to deal in realities here, something that might actually  work...and, seeing that even the inexhaustable computer of Denise is being retired early, it's worse than I thought!
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

7 posted 1999-12-31 04:00 AM

Perhaps set a limit on the number of originating posts a new member may post per day and per forum?

It would give new members time to learn and observe how the system works before they are given free rein in posting.

Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©
-------------------------------------------------------
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

Count Donatien Alphonse Francois de Sade
(Marquis de Sade)

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
8 posted 1999-12-31 07:12 AM

I'm finding the same problem as Denise...I usually read everything and am having a terrible time keeping up with the sheer volume of postings. I have found myself getting so frustrated that I end up not reading as much as I might have read to begin with, as the situation seems hopeless some night. And when they post 5 or 6 in Critial Analysis at a time, it's even worse. In that case, I usually don't even attempt to read them. Brad and I have actually e-mailed members when they post like that in Critical Analysis asking them to respect the rules and please refrain from posting so much at one time to allow everyone a chance to have their poems looked at by others.
Having said that...she punishes herself for posting two poems in a row yesterday in Open 5... sorry...I won't do it again.
I'm not sure what the solution is Balladeer, but with over 2000 registered poets, I don't see this situation getting any better. I'd like to see everyone limited to one, or at the most, two poems a day. What strikes me the funniest...is the people that are doing the multi posting the most, are the ones who reply to others poetry the least. I can think of a few names I've seen right off the bat.
**Steps down off her soap box**

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
9 posted 1999-12-31 09:06 AM

Ron has addressed this many times - and clearly says that he really doesn't want to put those kind of restraints on the boards. I'm not sure what will work - but Ruth - I don't think you should feel guilty about posting two poems.... Geesh......
Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
10 posted 1999-12-31 09:22 AM

I have to agree with Hoot and Denise. I've been overwhelmed with all the mutiple postings as of late. I too, get so frustrated at missing posts and not being able to keep up, that I haven't been visiting here as much as I used to....I just end up being TOO OVERWHELMED!!!!
I haven't a clue as to how you are going to resolve this....it seems like nothing that is in place now is working...
Thank you Balladeer for bringing this into the light again.....

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
11 posted 1999-12-31 09:54 AM

I don't feel I have reply to every poem. I do respond to every members first post though! If they post multiples, I only respond to their first one.

I also send each newbie their first post as an E-card (unless they don't show their email address)..I welcome them and...let them know gently that multiple posts in one day is discourteous...that they are less likely to be read! It also shows them that spelling and format are important...

Anyway..that's another 2 cents from me..  

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
12 posted 1999-12-31 10:32 AM

As Nan says, every time this issue has arose my response has been a reluctance to add any restrictions. But, while I'll admit to being a bit stubborn, I assure you I'm not deaf. I hear you.

This has been a very busy week at the forums. With just a cursory glance, it appears that posts are hitting over 150 percent of normal, with quite a few new members as well. I'm sure that has made a difficult situation worse. But everyone is right about one thing - it's unlikely to get better. And suggestions and guidelines don't seem to help much.

I think I have a compromise that might work. Please let me know what you think of it...

Someone comes in and posts their first poem of the day in a particular forum. It posts same as it always has, moving to the top of the index page. Nothing new. They then post a second poem in the same forum on the same day. That poem (and all subsequent poems in that forum for that day) is posted with a date for the previous day. The result, of course, is that it will be listed behind all of the other posts for the current date.

As before, this places no restriction on the number of poems posted. It should, however, discourage the dickens out of it once people realize their posts are being buried right from the get-go. Appropriate warnings can be added to the submit form.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

13 posted 1999-12-31 10:49 AM

I think that just might work Ron! The combination of appropriate warnings on the submit form that people couldn't miss seeing and subsequent posts not being at the top of the list would certainly discourage multiple posting, in my opinion! I say let's give it a try!  

Denise

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
14 posted 1999-12-31 11:10 AM

Oh dear...I'm another one who hasn't been around as much either for the same reasons...there is so much wonderful poetry being written and I'm usually downloading when I'm here so things go a bit slow...but I'm starting off replying to those on the last page (set to 2 days)first now..and I miss many because I find it takes me about 3-5 minutes, reading and replying to each one and because it's so family orientated..I want to reply to all and can't..

So, after being so long winded, I think Ron's idea is a neat one..

Just one last thing: Did you really mean you were bringing it up for one last time...oooops..*g*

HUSG

Don't ask me where I'm going, just listen when I'm gone and far away you'll hear me singing softly to the dawn.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
15 posted 1999-12-31 12:26 PM

Let's give it a try! Can't hurt....and again, if you are in touch with newbies.. stress the less will get more theory!  

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
16 posted 1999-12-31 04:38 PM

I must admit....I too have been overwhelmed by all these multiple postings and not been on Open much for that reason....it just is too much....I can't keep up. : (
Anyway, isn't it possible to allow every member to submit no more than 2 original posts per day, in each forum ? If that rule goes for every member, nobody can complain, right ? ; ) And it still allows you to reply as much as you'd like. : ) : )
Otherwise.....I'll go for Ron's solution ! ; )
Almost midnight on this side of the ocean....Happy New Year to all of you ! : )

Munda

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

17 posted 1999-12-31 05:16 PM

Ron, I have one question for you.

What of those creative souls that are more than capable of writing several good pieces in one day?

The problem I see with multiple postings are the individuals who deluge Open forum with several of their pieces at once. Perhaps a time limit between posts would be more effective since the traffic we have will bury the first post in short order.
< !signature-->

DreamEvil©

(Marquis de Sade)

[This message has been edited by DreamEvil (edited 12-31-1999).]

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

18 posted 1999-12-31 05:17 PM

Happy New Year to you, too, Munda! Have a safe and happy one!  

Denise

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
19 posted 1999-12-31 06:15 PM

Well, there are certainly enough people who recognize this as a major problem. Ron, your suggestion has merit but I don't see it as being too feasible. The problem is this:
   The majority of the people doing the multiple posting are new members. Poet deVine, as she has stated, sends out e-mails informing them of rules and guidelines and asks them not to engage in multiple posts. They do anyway. If you arrange it so their subsequent posts after the first one goes to the previous day, they will simply find it and, either themselves or a friend they have on the site, will bump it to the front. Don't think they won't. They have already disregarded the rules to get that far.

The only way I see is to restrict the posts. The only way to post a poem is to hit the POST NEW TOPIC button. In a perfect world, that action could be programmed as to where the same user, or computer, could only use that function, say, twice per 24 hour period and would receive an EXCEEDING DAILY LIMIT message when attempting to post more. I say in a perfect world because I do not know what intricasies are involved here with the POST NEW TOPIC function....and I hate the thought of even attempting to impose on you, Ron, for more programming after all you have already done but I see no other way. We have asked, requested, and almost insisted that the guidelines be followed and still that's not working. I personally feel two posts per day is a fair number. For those prolific poets mentioned who can produce more than that, well, poems are not ham....they don't spoil or turn green. Surely it's not that big of an emergency that they get on the same day they are created.
     We are in danger of losing the participation of our good members for the sake of kamikazee kommandos who come in, drop their load, and crash.

(the soap box is now vacant)

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
20 posted 1999-12-31 07:30 PM

...Not to mention, Deer Balladeer - Just because they have a posting limit in one forum doesn't mean they can't contribute to some of the other "slower" forums, does it?  
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
21 posted 1999-12-31 07:33 PM

Why not just make a pact...if you see more than two posts by any member, don't read them...I know it's simplistic but we are getting bigger and bigger..there will come a time when the members post so many poems in one day that, even without multiples, we won't be able to read them all!  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
22 posted 1999-12-31 07:47 PM

Absolutely right, Nan. That would be a good by-product.

deVine one, how's the weather there in Fantasyland? hehe. Wouldn't it be a little more feasible to prevent the multiple posts rather than form pacts to ignore them...and how would you know they were multiple posts? What if a new member came to Passions, read a poem by Poet deVine, and was so impressed by it he searched for your other works and commented on them, putting them all on page 1? Would some say, "Look at that deVine and her multiple posts!". Would you then click on the poem to find out when it was submitted and then look to see how many other posts that person made to know whether or not to post a reply? No, my friend. The only solution is to prevent multiple posts....period.

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
23 posted 1999-12-31 09:48 PM

Balladeer, the only fault I can see with your and Ron solutions is that in the publishing poetion, I sometimes post two or three things at a time because I do that when I have the extra time...It would have to change the way I do things there, but I can handle that
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

24 posted 2000-01-02 06:09 PM

Revered Elder there lies a small flaw within your argument. Anyone could have all their work brought up but the sheer number of replies would indicate that the posts could not have been recent. Moreover, what is wrong with reading the work of a favorite poet and commenting on it? That is why Open 1-4 are still open for replies.

Since all are in agreement that it is the new members deluging Open with their work, the logical alternative would still be to limit the number of posts by Junior members and not every member. That would allow the newbies time to adjust and to see how Passions works. I agree that limiting posts is the way to go but doing it across the board to all poets is unconscionable, especially when the established poets know and follow the rules, for the most part.

DreamEvil©

(Marquis de Sade)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
25 posted 2000-01-02 07:14 PM

Fantasyland is fine!  

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

26 posted 2000-01-02 07:27 PM

They probably would bring up their posts once they found them, wouldn't they? Or have a friend do it for them. I never thought of that. I guess a restriction of some sort is the only to go. I haven't noticed multiple posts by the 'older' members so perhaps a restriction for the 'newbies' is all that would be needed if that could be programmed in without too much trouble.  

Denise

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

27 posted 2000-01-02 07:38 PM

Well, solutions have been debated and debated. SOMETHING has to be done - I have come back from ONE day away - and have found so many new pages of new poems I can't possibly keep up! When I go back to studying in 2 months I fear it is going to be impossible for me to keep up with the time allowances I will have!

It seems like whatever is done there will be someone who is unhappy in hopefully only a small way - I would say that is going to be unpreventable. This place is HUGE and it is only going to get huger and I think the problem has to be remedied now.

I do think multiple posts should be prevented - ignoring them won't work - not everyone will abide by that and I am sure it will lead to hurt feelings eventually, perhaps justifiably.

It is true that if the guidelines in place are being ignored - then that is the responsibility of the reader, but still, like 'deer - I simply think we should limit starting posts.

That's me!

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
28 posted 2000-01-02 10:11 PM

Well, I'm late and far behind here.  I find this just as aggrivating as everyone else.
I have given up on trying to read everything, I just can't.  I have an idea, and I just don't know if it would work or not.  Ron I think we could give yours a try. I'm sure it would definitely make them stop and think when their poem didn't show up on top.

If they post multiple ones, maybe they could be emailed with this warning...The rules state not to do multiple postings.  You can choose to keep two of your poems on here,(in a 24 hr period) and let us know what those will be.  Or if we are not notified within 24 hours of your decision, we will choose 2 and delete the rest.  

I don't know if it's too harsh, but they certainly aren't heeding anything else!  Maybe something like that, at least they were warned and then we just delete the rest.

<*\\\><
Where there is faith,
there is love.
Where there is love,
there is peace.
Where there is peace,
there is GOD.
Where there is GOD,
there is no need.

Hallmark

Mike
Member Elite
since 1999-06-19
Posts 2462

29 posted 2000-01-02 10:59 PM

I have this friend I met at work...
er... maybe that one wouldn't work.  
seriously... I may be off base here... but multiple postings do not seem to be the sole cause of the problem...  it would appear to me with 2000+ poets you are going to have a lot of postings, and I don't see limiting mulitple postings as being a solution to the problem.  I recognize that there are a limited number of people that will respond to my poetry and basically it is the same group of poets.  I readily admit that most trips into passions I restrict myself to a small list of poets just because of the time factor and don't respond to some poems because I know because by the author they will receive multiple responses by virtue of the fact who they are and responding will be pushing off less popular authors.  I guess the bottom line is... certain authors because of the quality of their work and their recognition will always be near the top... and others who include some exceptional works will not receive much time on the first page.  After all of this rambling, I guess my response is.. it is the nature of the beast when you have this many poets and the nature of these forums.  Certain poets will be on top along with certain types of poetry.  Some poets including exceptional works in my non-intellectual opinion, I know will quickly slide into oblivion because of factors which multiple postings may play a small role, but not the predominate one.  It does not hurt my feelings to see multiple postings of some of our better poets.. and I doubt it does a great many people.  Anyway... enough ramblings.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
30 posted 2000-01-04 02:54 PM

I agree with all that limiting only new members would be ideal since our established member are more responsible in their actions, however, I did not mention it because, from a programming standpoint, it would add more steps to be done. After hitting the POST NEW TOPIC button, the number of previous entries for the past 24 hours would have to be checked AND THEN there would have to be a check as to whether it was a new member or not. I hesitate to ask for more programming duties. Besides, it's a moot point. If the established members would be following the guidelines, so what if they are being checked? It wouldn't matter.
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

31 posted 2000-01-04 05:03 PM

Please correct any flaws in this.

The system distinguishes between Junior, Senior, and Emeritus members already so it performs the very checks you speak of anyway. From my own standpoint, a non-programmer, it seems easy enough to set the system to allow only a limited number of posts to Junior members. I will defer to anyone with more knowledge of programming than I.

DreamEvil©

(Marquis de Sade)

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
32 posted 2000-01-04 05:07 PM

Might a most humble newbie proffer an opinion and suggestion?

I think Hootie has an excellent point in that many only get to visit here in spurts... self included.

And, being a firm believer that less rules works better (every rule precipitates more problems than the ones they are presented to solve) perhaps the paradigm shift should be away from attempting to read every work.

Perhaps a solution could be to offer a subscription service so members can subscribe to preferred members works and be notified when that member posts -- thereby not missing any favorites.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
33 posted 2000-01-04 05:23 PM

One more thing...

Being the engineer and statistician that I am I've noticed that deer has a ratio of about 7% originating posts to total... Toerag has about 18% and I have about 12%.

Perhaps, if there is a desire to set some software solution in place it should be to hold a ratio in check at some agreed upon level.

Thanks for offering this forum!  

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
34 posted 2000-01-04 10:09 PM

I find myself selecting certain poets to read and ignoring the newcomers, for lack of time. And sometimes I don't answer responses to my own poem so as not to bring my poem to the top, and some readers may be offended that I didn't respond to their comments even though I read them all. I think every poet should be restricted to 2 poems per day. That is certainly enough.There is some great poetry being pushed to the back
I also think the page is shorter with the new format, Could they put more entries to a page?
Liz

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
35 posted 2000-01-05 12:44 PM

I'm even later here, but I think limiting junior members to one posting a day is fair enough..
Like even if you have 5 new poems you want to post at one time, you can wait, why shouldn't you wait??  It is self indulgence under another name.  
As our numbers grow I fear problems will too.
But basically I shall stand by your side and hold your hand on this one Sir Balladeer  

At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet. (Plato)
~Isis~
(Daughter of Mystery)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
36 posted 2000-01-05 09:29 AM

Adding my two cents here...

First I was sick, then on vacation, then sick again.  You can imagine that in a week's time, I lost a lot of reading.  I came back to hundreds of new names - so KUDOS, Ron, on the successes you have garnered.  And while some of the works of the newer poets I have read seem to suffer in substance, there is a lot of new, really good stuff.  

I have not posted anything myself in some time.  I am guilty [early on] of multiple postings myself:  I was so hungry to see what responses I would garner - if anyone felt I was "good enough" to pursue this love of poetry.

I don't know if any of the above will work with new members, other than having the computer read and limit any and all members to one posting a day in any forum.  This will frustrate some members and they will leave. Others who are passionate in their work and have formed wonderful alliances here will understand and stay.  This will weed out the true poets from the wannabes.

I have [although not in New Years Resolution Form] decided that I need to work more on my poetry before posting.  I need to spend more time on perfecting the words so that the art of the piece will sing at a higher level.  That's my contribution to "less posting, more reading, and harder working at the art I love."

A belated HNY to everyone.

Sunshine
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

37 posted 2000-01-05 09:40 AM

Happy New Year to you, too, Sunshine! I hope you are feeling better!  

I think one post is a bit restrictive. I'd set the limit a little higher...maybe 2-4 per day(per 24 hr period)...I think I could handle that...  

Denise

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
38 posted 2000-01-05 07:07 PM

I knew I should have gone home on time... for after a relatively happy day, I came here and read this... and my mood plummeted.
Since the updates to the forum, accessing from home has been a nightmare for me... the graphics are more than my dinosaur can bear so I've turned them off... that allows me to access, but it's a laborious process because I get 7-8 domain security errors between each and every page. To read and answer a single poem, I've gone through 28 or more OK clicks on a slow computer. It's not what I'd call a fun way to pass the time.
Which is just my long-winded way... hell, this is my 2000th post so I'm not even going to apologize for being long-winded... of saying that my access time suddenly went from brief moments at work and leisurely hours at home to read and enjoy poems to brief moments at work... and my office was closed for 10 days over the holidays!
Still, I came back eager and full of anticipation... which all vanishes with this talk of limitations. Yesterday, I posted poems for the first time in at least two weeks... and now I'm feeling GUILTY for posting two in one day??? I exceeded some quota??? NOOOOOOOO!
I'm sorry, folks... it doesn't make sense to me to keep soliciting new members if we're only going to complain about the volume. Yes, I'd love to read every poem. No, that isn't possible. So I make choices even while wanting it all... I can't have every dessert at Piccadilly, either! *G*
It bothers me very much to see quality poems drifting down the list so rapidly... and that problem seems exacerbated now that I'm not seeing 50 poems listed on the first page. It particularly bothers me if one of those poems is mine! LOL. (You'll note, I dropped the quality adjective. *G*)
But I do not feel it is self-indulgent to post two poems within a 24 hour period... and I can't bring myself to apologize for doing so!
And I shudder to think that's the direction these forums may be heading...

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
39 posted 2000-01-05 09:20 PM

Don't shudder, Suthern girl. I assure you no one would ever consider limiting poets to less than two poems per day...and that is 14 poems per week. I would hardly call that unfair limiting...would you? Toerag, of course, would be limited to one per week LOL!
Bojopy
since 2000-01-03
Posts 391

40 posted 2000-01-05 11:53 PM

As a new member I can see why u want to post so many poems at once it is a listener u never had.. I apologize about this and maybe a good solution would be to allowing just 3 new poems a day or in so many hours. I think this site is wonderful and I think the soul purpose of it should be giving responses and I have learned that quite quickly.  Maybe that should be said in the first email one recieves!

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
41 posted 2000-01-06 12:12 PM

Ok..another two cents from me.. let's try education. Perhaps Ron can make the Guideline about multiple posting stand out more in the e-mail that is sent to new members (the one with their password)...yesterday, I sent out several E-cards to newbies with their first poem..if I noticed that the had multiples, I gently 'advised them'..if there was no e-mail address, I told them in a reply!

Not sure I like the idea of limits..I know I'm a bottom feeder (remember the T.P. war?)..LOL

The site is growing and will continue to grow..there is nothing to stop it. I've predicted we'll have 10,000 members by the end of the year (yes that includes the Justins and the MissMillis!)...the Pub was created as a quieter place to post....you might try posting in there for a time..

I will now leave the podium (going back to Fantasyland! LOL)..thanks for listening!

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (edited 01-06-2000).]

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
42 posted 2000-01-06 07:44 AM

Okay, I'll add my two cents worth. Balladeer, How dare you imply that Sy is more "kind, gentle, peaceful or uncontroversial than me?.....I'm crushed!...And another thing...."Toe would be limited to one per week?".....Obviously, you haven't been reading my crap....I'm lucky if one the pieces of garbage I post can even be considered a poem in a week!!....And last but not least, the title of this?...I thought it was gonna be something Balladeer said to his lady friend last night before they went to sleep?...

[This message has been edited by Toerag (edited 01-06-2000).]

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
43 posted 2000-01-06 08:35 AM

ROFG @ title... I knew I could count on Toe to regenerate my smile. *S*
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
44 posted 2000-01-06 10:39 AM

Toe... It's pretty difficult to conceive of putting any kind of limits on you, Sweets.....
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

45 posted 2000-01-06 01:21 PM

You always leave me with aching sides from laughing so hard, Toe! You are a gem!  

Denise

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
46 posted 2000-01-06 02:21 PM

Yeah, he's a gem alright.. a useless piece of rock that only serves a purpose when someone gives it a finger! Don't encourage him, Denise!!! He'll keep coming up with those insane comments about me that have me ROTFLMAO!!!   
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
47 posted 2000-01-06 03:21 PM

And in comes Elizabeth, Procrastinator Emeritus. LOL at some of these posts in here.

I don't know how to fix this problem (deVine isn't the only one out there in Fantasyland) but if a limitation is the way to do it, then I say go for it, and a thankyou to Ron for all he has done for this site!

Anything else you would like my most valued opinion on?  

Elizabeth

"Boys and girls together, me and Mamie O'Rourke
Tripped the light fantastic on the sidewalks of New York."

Betty Gravitt
since 1999-09-11
Posts 222
Georgia United States
48 posted 2000-01-06 04:23 PM

I am a fairly new member, and I do love this place. I don't post that often, but I do read the poems everyday. However I have found that there are so many new post by the same poet that I am skipping them. I know that is not fair, but I don't have time to read every one, and I still like reading poems by my favorites. I have been guilty of posting two poems in one day. Please we all make mistakes.  
If I spend what time I have reading my favorite poets post, then I will miss some terrific stuff posted by the new members. I want a solution that will allow me to read more of all the poems posted.
The rate I'm going now it will be March before I catch up to January, and no I'm not that slow honest. Maybe a limit to two poems is the answer to this question. If not I hope one is found very soon. I don't even post as many replies as I once did.   That is bad.

B Gravitt

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

49 posted 2000-01-06 08:04 PM

This place would certainly not be the same without the antics of both you and Toe, Balladeer! Sooooooo entertaining...you have no idea!  

Denise

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
50 posted 2000-01-07 07:28 PM

Two cents is all I've got to throw into the pot.  
Funny how the 'store' opened up and ADVERTISED for customers to come in ...
well, by golly, they came ...... now is it possible to say ... ~Whoops !  Well, we really didn't mean for you ALL to come in at the same time.~

Ron, I believe that your site is growing because of the very diversity that brings us all here.  We are poets ... some of us write lots of poetry to share ... some of us do our part and respond to the poetry of others and then we post ours and hope for some response also ...... I don't think that you want to limit people from posting.
I personally don't believe there should be any limits on the number of posts ... not by the new people we invite ... and not by the members who were here from the beginning and those who filtered in somewhere in the middle.
If I can't get to them all ... my problem ... that certainly doesn't mean they should be limited anymore than one of the 'old-timer' posters should be accorded more posts.  We all know that the number of posts doesn't make a GOOD poet ... the reader determines who the 'good' poets are.

I hope the site grows so unbelievablly large that it takes more staff, more bandwidth, and more of the stuff poets are made of.

Ron ..... don't limit yourself by letting others convince you that it need limits.
It doesn't ... GROW !  GROW !  
The 'oldies' aren't going to go anywhere ... and shame on anyone who purposefully dodges a newcomer that happens to be reaching out with multiple posts.  

WELCOME TO PASSIONS POETRY ..... MAY WE ALL GROW IN FRIENDSHIP AND NUMBER OF POSTS !
~Marge Tindal~

[This message has been edited by Marge Tindal (edited 01-07-2000).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
51 posted 2000-01-07 07:43 PM

To reply to Marge's post "and shame on anyone who purposefully dodges a newcomer that happens to be reaching out with multiple posts"

This applies directly to me..I made that statement and I will stand by it.

I don't have all the time in the world to read every post. I will choose one post from a newbie (right now, it's their first post) and read it.  If I see multiple posts by one poet, and I know they were posted within minutes of each other, I will read one! It's great that poets feel so free to post a lot of their work when they first come in..if you look in the archives, you'll see that it has happened a lot..but where are those poets now! It's hard to maintain that quantity of postings! Unless you write 5 or 6 poems a day! And if you do that, where do you find the time to READ all the poems by other members?

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (edited 01-07-2000).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

52 posted 2000-01-08 05:56 PM

I do agree with PdV - BUT I still think the education just isn't working. It either isn't obvious enough - or is being ignored. These poets need to be aware of the feelings about multiple postings - NOW.

There are so many people here and everyone deserves to be listened to, and have their poetic voice respected and encouraged - but I think it works both ways.

I personally know of one poet who, that I was last aware of, had made 80 posts - 74 originating. This does not seems particularly fair. Certain rules need to be respected to ensure the smooth running of our second home - and I stand by the idea of limiting originating posts in Open on a daily basis.  

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
53 posted 2000-01-08 07:25 PM

Okay...one more word from me on this one...NO,/b> there is nothing that says we have to read every post...but quite frankly, I hate to miss a single one for fear the one I pass up will be the one that touches me like no other. I am a faithful reader and replier, but also do more than my fair share of posting....but with a ratio of 5140 posts to 236 originating posts, I think I can afford to post as often as I should and do not post more than 2/ day unless I'm posting to different forums. I do not think there is going to be an easy answer to this solution, and I think as PDV stated...education is probably going to work as well as anything, but I'll agree to what ever solution Ron comes up with.
JTF
since 1999-08-09
Posts 319
France
54 posted 2000-01-11 06:04 AM

adding my 2 Francs to the subject ... First ROFLMAO @ Toerag's comment ... Man, your wit will always impress me ...   ... As you can see I'm a small "poster", about 260 messages, 0.5 originating (0.5 cause my poem was posted by my Partner in Crime *s*) ... and like many I don't have enough time to read them all (no to mention that I have to translate them .. LOL) but I do not think that there should be limitation on the number of poems one can post every day ... if I miss some great poems, and unfortunately I'm sure I do, I blame it on me (or on my boss *g*) ... It's *my* choice and I wouldn't like to have restraints on posting just so I can be sure I won't miss something ... people posting several poems in a row take the risk that they won't be read ... it's their choice ... and frankly I can't remember a time when the number of new poems prevented me from reading the ones I wanted or was looking for ... it's not that difficult to go to page 7 or 10 is it ? ... and I wouldnt mind reading 5 or 6 poems in a row by a talented poet ...  

Geeesh, is it me, the French, talking to you about freedom of speech ? ...  

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
55 posted 2000-01-11 05:45 PM

Now that you mention it Jef -- the thought did not occur to me that limiting numbers of posts ensures that everyone would be missing quite a number of works.

But alas I am but an alien on this poetry planet.  

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
56 posted 2000-01-11 09:41 PM

JTF: ROFL @ Partner in Crime ..that takes me back..  

HUSG

< !signature-->

Don't ask me where I'm going, just listen when I'm gone and far away you'll hear me singing softly to the dawn.

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 01-11-2000).]

JTF
since 1999-08-09
Posts 319
France
57 posted 2000-01-12 04:49 AM

Hawk : yep sir, you're damn right ... Hey watch out for men in black ! ..  

Rainbow : you mean when we were young ? ... ROFL ... HUSG

FreeByrd
since 1999-11-03
Posts 267

58 posted 2000-01-12 12:37 PM

What’s all the fuss? I think this topic has received way too much attention.

All I see here is people trying to justify their actions and jump on some bandwagon to enforce arbitrary restrictions. In case you haven’t heard, the wall was taken down between East and West. Let’s not build another one.

The only sensible words I’ve read here are from Marge Tindal. Despite what Disney would have you believe “ It’s not a small world after all ” . If your looking for that cozy little fledgling Passions in Poetry forget it, it’s gone. Learn to change and GROW.

Remember the old saying “ Be careful of what you wish for. You might get it”. Start putting these types of restrictions on people and that’s exactly what your going to get. A cozy little Passions in Poetry where the big topic of conversation will be.

Where have all the Poets gone?

Ron, It works. Don’t fix it.

Sally S.
since 1999-06-07
Posts 847
Ohio
59 posted 2000-01-14 01:03 PM

GEEZ!!!!  Ok..ok...Listen, I personally do not post mutiples.  I don't have the time to write as much as I'd like to.  BUT, it is in my opinion that if you start adding more and more rules, you will discourage newcomers in general.  I agree with much of what Sharon has said and I feel in general, the guildlines should stand.  If a newcomer doesn't take the hint from the "Welcome" email, then I, myself...would have to pass on reading the LONG LINE of works they've posted.

Ron's original idea from this post was not that bad...yet many of you shot that down.  Why?  Because many of us "older members" are as gulty as the so-called "newcomers".  Which is fine...if you want less of a response.  I was talking with another member recently and I commented, "I could spend all my waking hours on this site...had I the time, but I don't.  The number of posts is overwhelming and if I miss a day or two, I'm LOST.  It doesn't keep me away but, it does limit my responses."

Balladeer, I don't know the answer.  I would go with Ron's idea.  It would definately work!!  I can't imagine anyone wanting their second post put on the back pages.  The only problem I see is to make sure it only effects one forum at a time.  A limit of one NEW post...per forum...per day.  What's wrong with THAT?

If you're someone who has the ability to write TONS of poetry in a short period of time.  Save it.  In my opinion, you will be rewarded much more, not to mention it would give you time to go over it again...to make any editing changes. (If nessasary   )

Well, I guess I've said enough.  Thank you.

Kevin Taylor
since 1999-12-23
Posts 185
near Vancouver, BC, Canada
60 posted 2000-01-16 02:14 AM

lovestories.com has an interface that only lets you post so many in a 24 hour period. Works fine.
But without actually imposing restrictions there is a practical solution to at least the multiple posts (someone said 5 or 6 but I must have missed that) in Critical Analysis. Solution is to actually do what the forum is for. Some folks do a little crit but much of what I've seen is mutual admiration society stuff. Not to say that there isn't some damned fine stuff there... there most certainly is. Other works require ... work. I recently made the error of criting a poem very directly and using a word that was unusual or misunderstood by some and the forum disolved into a first aid station and was distracted from its mission. There were more than a few injuries on that one and I think that had the forum adopted and held onto strict / high standards of crit and analysis that the problem would not have occured. My opinion and we all have one... I know.
Still, I think that a more Socratic approach to the new writers, challenging them along poetic lines etc would ... I'm beating this to death aren't I...

Kevin

"Poetry is, at once, what you get... and how you got there."

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
61 posted 2000-01-16 05:31 PM

Well I am upset by the whole topic at present.  I asked a member of DP to cut back on multiple postings and now he is threatening to leave.  I did it nicely, perhaps he has misunderstood, I have since sent emails, even a card!!  I sent this topic piece and the forum guidelines in hopes he will understand.  He hasn't responded to anything I have sent.  I am really upset by the whole thing at present.
I agree to everything here of course, but gosh when it goes the wrong way as this did, it is so upsetting.

Let your heart guide you. It whispers, so listen closely.
~Isis~
(Sovereign of the Spirit)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Let's bring it up one more time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary