navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Publishing question
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Publishing question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now

0 posted 2010-06-15 07:45 PM

Okay, `nuther question..  I`m gearing up to submit some of my work for publication (hope hope dream dream).. copy of Poet`s Market in hand.. yet I`m wondering: is it legal (or `wrong`) to submit poems I have previously posted on the internet? I know typically it is then considered `previously published`.. yet what I`m talking about are poems that I `workshopped`, or polished.. so that the poem I`d be sending to an editor resembles the online poem, yet.. is not the same animal. Does that make sense? I can`t seem to find an answer concerning this grey area on Google, etc. .. any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated!  
Many super-thanks~
Amaryllis
.ps: (I guess what I`m REALLY saying is: how would an editor feel on this issue??!)  

© Copyright 2010 Amaryllis - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2010-06-15 08:54 PM

Is it okay to sell a used car?

Well, sure it is. You own it, after all. What isn't okay, of course, is to sell your used car while representing it as a new one. Some buyers only want new cars. Some want used ones. So long as you are honest and the buyer gets what he wants, everything should be copasetic.

Editors are pretty much the same as car buyers. Meaning they run the full gamut of all possible scenarios. Some will want one thing. Others will want something else. Publication is essentially a contract and everything is negotiable.

Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
2 posted 2010-06-15 10:15 PM

Thank you so much, Ron.. if I`m correct, you`re saying it should be okay with some editors, but to be sure to disclose the fact along with the submission.. I wonder, though, since I cannot know the stance of the submissions editor, might I irritate by doing so..? I`m imagining an editor, swamped with subs to pore through, seeing that on the cover letter and.. whoosh!  Two points, in the circular file.   I`m just beginning to dip my toe in.. and I sure don`t want to create a name for myself as a nuisance! Heh.
Might be better to start out, at least, with a new car..  
Thanks again, Ron!
Amaryllis

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2010-06-16 03:08 AM

Usually, you'll see the editors specify exactly what they're willing to take in Poet's Marketplace.  

Always specify that a poem has appeared in another medium, even on the net, even on pip.  Some magazines will disqualify the poem right away as previously published.  I believe that Poetry will do so.  Most magazines want original and previously unpublished poems.  Don't use Poet's Marketplace only for the listings of magazines, they have a number of other useful articles that are worth your while offering advice about cover letters and what the conventions are about the sort of thing you are talking about.

I am not good with any understanding of the new web magazines.  You'd have to get information from other folks for those.

If you can find a local group of poets you can trust and whose work you like and with whom you can meet weekly or monthly, it's a great idea to do so.  You don't have the same publication issues that you have with online groups, which are wonderful in their way.  You can also find a level of critique that you can frequently negotiate with each other.  Some groups will never say anything critical of each other, other groups can be highly specific and very opinionated.  Everybody has their particular need and comfort level.  I find this the most valuable part of dealing with fellow poets.  Uncritical acceptance is something I find that holds me back.  On the other hand, when you find somebody asking if you mind them being brutally honest, say "yes" quickly and ask them to give you the same information with consideration and empathy.

I'm talking too much.

Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
4 posted 2010-06-16 03:28 AM

No way, it`s never too much, Bob.. thank you very much for the helpful info!  I believe from all I`ve gathered that it`s `safer` for me to simply submit unpublished pieces.. I`ll save my workshopped ones for my chapbook, when I get to it. (*sigh.. also attempting to find a reputable house to go through for my chapbook.) And yes, I agree with you on the issue of critique.. I value supposedly `brutal` crit.. I cut my poetic teeth at a site that was quite in-depth, and grew to like it.. it does indeed help the writer improve. I adore pip for it`s friendliness and welcoming atmosphere, though.. yours & Ron`s helpful replies being evidence of that!  
I have also been attempting to find a local poet`s group, as you mentioned.. I`m finding quite a few in Seattle, but that`s too far to drive. I`m still looking!  
Hey thanks again.. truly appreciate it!
Best~Amaryllis
ps: Oh.. and I`m a little old school, maybe.. I hadn`t even really considered the online mags.. I should look into it! (Me and my ol` dream of being in ink & pulp..ha!)  

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2010-06-17 08:03 PM

I'm a magazine with covers kind of guy myself, but a lot of good magazines seem to be branching out to include online versions, including, I think, The Kenyon Review.  It's worth looking into.

Angel4aKing
since 2006-09-27
Posts 1372
USA
6 posted 2011-07-31 10:12 PM

I did not now this about previously published poetry as I too was thinking of compiling some of my poetry into a short twenty four page book including 12 poems. Thank you for this important information.

~~~kingsangel~~~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2011-08-01 12:38 PM

I have no advice but I can't wait for you to come on here and tell us where to buy it.   Now if you could just convince a few other favorites of mine to publish - sigh.

Finally, we are getting some sun, as will you be?

Carpe'Diem
~ Mysteria ~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Publishing question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary