navwin » Discussion » Q & A » I need help badly with PDF files
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic I need help badly with PDF files Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands

0 posted 2004-07-06 09:08 PM

I had adobe acrobat 4.0 (writer) on my computer and today I messed up pretty bad and now I can't make a PDF file anymore, wich I need to do badly. It wasn't working well with my Word and I copied the files to my other harddrive because I wanted to uninstall the whole thing in order to reïnstall it again.(I don't have the disc anymore)
But...the copying didn't go well and I discovered that after uninstalling 4.0, I can't set it up again. I still have the files and the program opens, but some files are missing wich are needed in order to set up the PDF printer.
I've managed to retrieve the PDFWritr.drv and the PDDWLIB.dll and the PDFWIN32.dll, but the one I'm missing is PDFhlp.hlp

Any tech guy or girl out there who is able to help me out on this?

I need to send my foto/poetry booklet to the printer's office and they aquire I put it in a PDF file, but as it seems, I'm stuck here and my exhibition is at the end of the month. I'm getting quite nervous, because it's not a program one goes out and buy, is it.

So if anyone has this file or has any idea how I can make PDF files in another way (a more less expensive program?) I will be very grateful.

A very stressed Dutchie here.

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

© Copyright 2004 Titia Geertman - All Rights Reserved
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
1 posted 2004-07-06 09:32 PM

Have you tried going to Adobe's website and looking for the file you need? I found this but I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for. I will keep searching and if I come up with an answer I will be back. Good luck with your search.

Also you may want to look at these web sites
Gymnast (Text to PDF converter)  http://www.oakworth.demon.co.uk/gymnast.htm  
HTML doc (HTML to PDF converter)  http://www.oakworth.demon.co.uk/gymnast.htm  
PDF-o-Matic (HTML to PDF converter)  http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/pdf-o-matic.php  
PrintToPDF (Shareware for the Mac)  http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html  

I've never used any of these so I can't vouch for their ease of use or anything, but they are supposedly freeware.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
2 posted 2004-07-06 09:38 PM

Jeffrey, thanks, but yes I've tried them all and they download perfectly, but not that specific file.

Those files are needed to set up the PDF printer wicht got removed when I uninstalled the program. And yes, I'm a dumm Dutchie doing that.

Thanks for your support pal.

Titia

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
3 posted 2004-07-06 09:40 PM

Ok, I'll keep looking... there has to be a way to get that file...
Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
4 posted 2004-07-06 09:56 PM

Hi Titia, I found a forum that may be able to help you ... http://forum.planetpdf.com/wb/default.asp

Good luck!

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
5 posted 2004-07-07 01:16 PM

Thanks again Jeffrey, that's a good site. I signed in and I'm sure I will find something.
Didn't know there were so many other programs to write PDF files with. Much cheaper than Adobe.

Titia

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2004-07-07 02:57 PM

Hi Titia,

Your thread got my interest. I need to create pdf files too but can't justify the cost for Adobe. A little google searching found one that I downloaded and tried. It looks pretty good so far. Click win2pdf to download the trial copy. It has a little nagging reminder and adds a page at the end of the document. The cost to register is $35 USD if you like it.

Pete

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2004-07-07 03:08 PM

Titia, I'm going to send this link to my brother...he may be of some assistance...

Oh, Fagin....

Fagin
since 2004-05-07
Posts 126
Ca
8 posted 2004-07-07 04:33 PM

I didnt really have a whole lot to add, here's one where the reviews are quite good, and its only $99 for the piece. I know thats not free, but nothing any good is. Hope this helps.
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
9 posted 2004-07-07 04:34 PM

Just my bad luck! I finally found a good one, DocucomPDF writer, costs $49, works very well, but in the trial version there's a watermerk in all pages, so I can't use the trial. I decided to buy the full version, because it was not too expensive (very cheap compared to Adobe)and they had this digital key wich would change my trial into full.
Everything went well and then I got the message that my order had been flagged for manual review, wich takes a few days.
There was this line saying that if I needed the program sooner, I should write to them why.
I immediately send them an email, that I understood their purpose of manual reviewing completely, but that I was getting very nervous here, because my exhibition is in 3 weeks time. Hope they'll understand.

It's a great site Jeffrey, thanks again for finding it for me.

Not a poet, visit the site, there's lots and lots to see and read about PDF.

Sunshine, you're a darling, but I think I stick with the one I've found now.

Fagin, you forgot to put the link in LOL

Titia

Fagin
since 2004-05-07
Posts 126
Ca
10 posted 2004-07-07 04:35 PM

DOH! Here;s the link http://www.eprintdriver.com/eprintPDFconverter.html (whatta dork)
Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
11 posted 2004-07-07 05:57 PM

My pleasure! Good luck with it!
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
12 posted 2004-07-08 07:27 PM

Thanks to all for your support.
The people of Zeon Corporation http://www.planetpdf.com/webexpo/exhibitor.aspx?exhibitorId=90 were very coöperative and handled my application within a few hours.
I got such nice advice from them and if the program wasn't doing what I needed, they were altogether willing to change programs.
Isn't that something?
So, if anyone needs a PDF driver, go there.
Never encountered an internet company with so much care for their customers.

Thanks again Jeffrey for finding planetPDF.
And thanks all for supporting me the way you did in Passions way. I love you all.

Titia

Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
13 posted 2004-07-10 11:17 PM

You're quite welcome Titia! Glad I could help!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » I need help badly with PDF files

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary