navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Coming out about poetry
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Coming out about poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
greco
since 2003-09-27
Posts 85
buffalo ny

0 posted 2004-01-28 10:15 PM

Hey i am 16 years old and i am sort of afraid to come out to my parents that i write poetry but not really scared just nervous because i have gone to my english teachers and other teachers and they like it and i think its weird to open up to them and not my parents like that i am just nervous of what they might think
any advice
thanks  

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone

© Copyright 2004 greg - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2004-01-28 10:30 PM

Greco, I do not know if you are male or female, and I am not inclined to make a sexual connotation; but there is nothing in my book that says one should be afraid of being known as a poet.

Yes, I do understand that it's not the "norm".

But who do Presidents, Statesmen, and other honorifics repete, but if not, poets?

It is MY fear [and I am only talking for myself] that my words are not good enough to be considered, "a poet".

But I have always revered one who is known as a "Poet".

I wish you God Speed into poetry.  And, Please, let your peers and others know that someone thinks as you do.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2004-01-28 10:36 PM

Greco- Only you truly know your parents, however, my suggetion is tell them. As Sunshine said, There have been many "great" men and women who have been poets. Not only the one's that she mentioned, but also:
World Class musicians (Jim Morrison, Paul McCartney, etc.)
Sports figures
teachers
etc.
Poetry is such an integral part of this nation's history, and culture, that EVERY presidential inauguration, for BOTH parties has a poet read at the ceremony. Such noted poets as Maya Angelou and Carl Sandburg have spoken at these momentous occasions.
Again, just my thoughts, however,I say you tell them. I think you're going to find the fear is worse than the event.

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-01-28 10:58 PM

What Ringo said.

greco
since 2003-09-27
Posts 85
buffalo ny
4 posted 2004-01-29 06:18 AM

Ok thanks for all the great advice i think i will soon thanks again it has been helpful

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2004-01-29 06:47 AM

Greco - Just keep on writing... and writing... and writing... You'll find a comfortable niche that you'll be proud of, and you eventually won't mind sharing your work.  PiP is a great place to help you build that confidence as well.  We're here to read whatever you write... Write??...
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

6 posted 2004-01-29 01:10 PM

My father doesn't know I write...he'd think I was delusional.  
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2004-01-29 01:38 PM

Dunc, You ARE delusional.  You think you're a porch puppy, remember?  

Greco, I truly understand about being shy in showing others one's work.  When I first started sharing my poetry here, I was VERY shy and then as I started learning more from others, it became a challenge to be as good as they - to learn where my weaknesses and strengths are in writing - to open myself up to varying opinions on how one's work is interpreted.

I still have a private feeling about my poetry - and the truth is, poetry is not for everyone.  But for those who truly care to see how people will bend a thought - it's everything!

Write on!

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2004-01-29 01:45 PM

I guess I can't really relate to this one very well.

I don't go out of my way to tell people that I eat, nor do I avoid telling anyone that I eat. While I certainly don't mind discussing good food, eating just seems like a normal part of life to me, not worthy of comment in and of itself.

Same with writing.

Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets
9 posted 2004-01-29 02:46 PM

Nice analogy, Ron.
greco
since 2003-09-27
Posts 85
buffalo ny
10 posted 2004-01-29 04:59 PM

Wow thanks for all the great info and i do guess the more i write the more comfortable i will be thanks all you have been a great help

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Coming out about poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary