navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sing a Song of Sixpence
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sing a Song of Sixpence Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wendy Flora
since 2000-01-11
Posts 182
Virginia

0 posted 2000-01-29 02:21 AM

Sing a Song of Sixpence

When I was a child, I spoke like a child
All Mother Goose
and Dr. Seuss
I reasoned like a child, I loved like a child.
I can hear the blackbirds sing . . .
With first blood
came first love
The kiss of a maid and her king
We danced by the light of the moon.
The trickling of the glass' sand
Modesty and decency hand in hand
The dish ran away with the spoon.

"I am everything you want
I am everything you need.
I am everything inside of you
That you wish you could be
I say all the right things
At exactly the right time
But I mean nothing to you
And I don't know why."
-"Everything You Want"
Vertical Horizon

© Copyright 2000 Wendy Flora - All Rights Reserved
Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
1 posted 2000-01-29 06:32 AM

Very playful poem, reminded me of a large book of fairy tales I once had.... and still have somewhere dusty. I liked the poem, even the references (which I'm usually against) fit in beautifully. The only part that didn't seem to fit was "With first blood/Came first love". Maybe I'm not totally up to date on my Nursury Rhymes but I didn't see how it fit. Any elab. would be helpful cause right now when I read that part I can't stop thinking of RAMBO, First Blood....sorry but it's the truth, but besides those two lines, which may or may not fit, I really enjoyed this poem and thought you ended it well. Thanks for the read, take care,
Trevor

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
2 posted 2000-01-29 07:37 AM

Wendy:

This was an interesting poem.  Lines 1 and 4 are unmistakenly references to 1 Corinthians 13.  I thought that would end up being the skeleton of your poem and the lines in between would flesh out a clever application.  Lines 2 & 3 seem to be just this.  While I enjoyed what followed I suppose I wasn't prepared for the detailed elaboration on Line 4 that followed.  But the effect was still positive.

I also don't know about "With first blood/Came first love".  "Blood" and "love" are near rhymes and preserve your rhyme scheme but I, like Trevor, think of Rambo when I see "first blood".

I thought that the last three lines were wonderfully written, by the way.  I enjoyed it.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Wendy Flora
since 2000-01-11
Posts 182
Virginia
3 posted 2000-01-29 12:07 PM

"First blood/first love"  is a sexual allusion... of a rather virginal nature.  (Its supposed to be ambiguous.  ) -wen
haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
4 posted 2000-01-29 01:55 PM

oh I loved this! Wen-This is great. Its light but sings of becoming..WOW!
EXTREME KUDOS!

"and the dish ran away with the spoon"
that moment of awakening is gone with that touch?...Beautiful layers!

Wendy Flora
since 2000-01-11
Posts 182
Virginia
5 posted 2000-01-30 02:53 AM

Thanks!   -wen
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

6 posted 2000-01-30 09:09 AM

This is lovely and, I'm sure you know, you could probably add much more.  Please, never put away all your childish things.
Buffpimp
since 2000-01-23
Posts 39

7 posted 2000-01-30 09:18 AM

When I started to read this, the first thing that popped into my mind was Green Eggs and Ham and Cat in the Hat.  This is very entertaining and fun to read.  IT is better than those monotonous love poems that I always write  .  And when I first started to read it, IT sounded more and mroe like a Nursery Rhyme.  Keep it up.

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
8 posted 2000-01-30 04:19 PM

Hi Wendy .. I'm Jimbane ... lol or Philip with one ell.

I see Jim got here before me and said exactly what I told him to say which means that I don't have to say it again .. all I have to do it reiterate what the others thought about this being a fun poem with a kind of serious side hidden away there (ie the Biblical refs and the loss of innocence and virginity) ..

Nice work

Philip

Wendy Flora
since 2000-01-11
Posts 182
Virginia
9 posted 2000-01-30 04:51 PM

Wow.  I never thought this would have so much response.  You all made me appreciate this one a lot more than I did.  Thanks!   -wen

"I am everything you want
I am everything you need.
I am everything inside of you
That you wish you could be
I say all the right things
At exactly the right time
But I mean nothing to you
And I don't know why."
-"Everything You Want"
Vertical Horizon

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

10 posted 2000-01-30 06:44 PM

Wendy,
I loved this! A unique spin on an old theme ...fresh, matter-of-fact, and just a bit flip. Good work...keep it up.

Kristine

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
11 posted 2000-01-31 05:33 PM

Hi Wendy,

Well, here I am late again. Got to start getting up earlier. And I see that Philip passed my instructions on to Jim and then claimed them as his own. Naughty boys, but what can one expect.

An excellent job of imbedding a serious side into a seemingly light-hearted poem. Congratulations, one cannot help but read it more than once.

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
for the mere enunciation of my theme?
Edgar Allan Poe

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
12 posted 2000-02-01 03:02 PM

wendy-
i really love your use of child-like images in here.  this is a really great poem.  no need to elaborate really, i think it's pretty clear.

Wendy Flora
since 2000-01-11
Posts 182
Virginia
13 posted 2000-02-01 09:38 PM

Thank you!

You're sure there's nothing I should do to it?  (make sure, before I send it off to this official thing...)   -wen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sing a Song of Sixpence

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary