navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the jump
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic the jump Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.

0 posted 2000-01-28 02:13 PM

In the morning class they tell you
All the different ways you can possibly die.

And indeed it is surprising how many there are.
You think it would be simple;
Parachute doesn’t open,
You hit the ground.  Splat.
You’ve already considered this.
But they want you to know
It’s much more complicated than that.

You have a reserve chute, of course,
But they want you to be aware
That it may not open either.
Or that your main chute could be twisted,
Streaming like the stem of a giant exclamation point;
The reserve chute, if deployed then,
Might ensnare itself in the main,
Warping all to a silken, futile question mark.

They want you to know details:
That you can be electrocuted landing in powerlines;
You can drown landing in water;
You can break your neck landing in trees;
You can be run over landing on a highway;
You can be gored landing in a bull pasture
(Oh, you think it hasn’t happened?);
There are countless ways you can die doing this.

You still want to jump.
You sign three different waivers,
Including one printed entirely in red,
All saying the same thing:
Don’t come crying to us if you die,
We told you so.
(Or well-intentioned words to that effect.)

And then, well, it’s time.
You walk down the runway,
Leaning under the weight of your pack,
And climb aboard.  This is it; one last look
At the unforgiving, weed-dotted concrete runway,
And you’re off.  

At 5,000 feet they open the cockpit door;
You know not to look down
But you can’t resist
Such a beautiful, sickening sight;
Standing at the edge, rocking on your heels,
The noise, the noise, propeller roaring just ahead
Wind screaming through your ears
Beating, buffeting you
Frigid sunny sky tugging and pulling
Until you jump.

You remember their last little instruction,
To close your eyes and count five seconds
Before checking the chute.
There is no turning back, of course;
This is merely to give you time --
While you plummet -- to think
Of all the different ways you can possibly die.

© Copyright 2000 jenni - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-01-28 02:42 PM

Jenni:

You left out "Landing in an alligator infested swamp" (don't think this hasn't happened!).  Once I started reading this I had difficulty stopping.  Very well written.  What is most surprising is, after all the "you could die this and this and this and this way" the person in the poem (you?) still went through with the jump.  Did he/she (you?) lose your mind?  

I liked this one, Jenni, and I am sure I am missing something in one of the layers to this so I'll sit back and watch what others have to say.  Hasta luego.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda
2 posted 2000-01-28 03:11 PM

that's so cool that you jumped, and survived.  I've been having all kinds of skydiving dreams lately, so i think i'm going to get myself up there and jump from a cloud.  Loved the poem, it was a good read.  I was thinking about weird ways that some people die, and you mentioned a couple, i.e. being gored by a bull, landing on a highway, and getting hit by a car...Crazy, it seems so ironic, doesn't it..performing such an insane act, only to get hit by a truck, or gored by a bull....its funny.  Anyway, great writing.  keep it up.

quote:
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
- Charles Bukowski

merely_a_jester
since 2000-01-14
Posts 67
Arkansas... that's all you get
3 posted 2000-01-28 03:13 PM

for some reason i smiled the whole time i read this one
my favorite is the last of the last paragraph, the stark raving inevitability of it all
i'm not much of a critiquer, but i do like freestyle, so that's just so much more enjoyment i got out of it
thanks for little pleasures

just another twice invisible boy

To Be, contents his natural desire,
He asks no Angel's wing, no Seraph's fire;

Alexander Pope, "An Essay On Man"

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
4 posted 2000-01-28 05:01 PM

Whattdya MEAN merely-a-jest,  "for some reason I smiled" ... "for some reason" he he the reason you smiled was that the whole poem was just uproariously funny from start to final splat.

The only “layers” in this were the clouds, at least that’s all I could see amid the tears of laughter .. and fear.  Meanwhile it just might have something to do with the paranoia of entering the unknown with all its fears .. maybe something like a major change of life direction or some such traumatic event.

It was really great Jenni .. however I really do need to consider our ongoing friendship in the light of this poem if the speaker was indeed you, I’m not accustomed to associating with crazy ladies (said in my best posh British accent Jim)....  Lol    

Take care with your jump Jenni, but there’s no problem they forgot to mention that the mortality rate is less than .000001% ...... ~smile~

Philip

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
5 posted 2000-01-28 05:10 PM

jenni...this is excellent work...You pulled me through with this (on the edge of my seat the entire time) Your ending is spectacular!
The realization of "what-if's" flying in seconds that seem like hours!

So now I must ask you...having faced death and survived (was it a total rush?)! You have my vote as gutzy-gurrl of the year! DAMN!

Kudos Poet!

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
6 posted 2000-01-28 08:19 PM

jenni: *waa haa haa haa -- maniacal laughter* i love it!! wonderful writing and incredible idea mixed with a heavy dose of irony... beautiful... i especially love the lines "(Or well-intentioned words to that effect.)" and the last few... very good job...

sincerely,
jerome the boy that wants more kool-aid

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2000-01-28 09:01 PM

Jenni,
You're one hell of a brave lady if you are the speaker!  And you did a great job of telling the tale ... and how doing something so fantastic was spoiled by their mandatory lectures and forms.  That's how I read it ...
Nice work,

Kristine

Vincent Spaulding
since 2000-01-16
Posts 59

8 posted 2000-01-29 05:23 AM

Captivating poem.  It reminds me of a joke I heard.  A sergeant told a soldier, when he was about to make his first jump, "Jump, count to ten.  Pull the cord, and the shoot will open.  If it fails to open, pull this second cord, and the backup shoot will open.  And a truck will be waiting to take you back to the base."  The soldier jumped, counted to ten. The shoot failed to open.  He pulled the second cord.  Again, nothing. "Oh great!" he said, "and I suppose the truck won't be there either!"
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
9 posted 2000-01-29 03:54 PM

Which reminds ME of a joke ... :

The Archbishop of Canterbury, a Boy Scout and Jim Bouder were flyin over to the States together from the UK on a special chartered flight just the three of them and the pilot.  Halfway across the pond there was an enormous bang and one of the engines blew.  "No sweat", said the pilot over the intercom, "I can fly on one" ...... Two minutes later though BANG, and the other engine went.

"Oh bother !!" (censored for Brad!) said the pilot "We're goin down and there's only three chutes" ..
"Well" he continued, "I must certainly have one of them as I'm a highly trained pilot" .. with that he grabbed a parachute and jumped to safety.

Jim Bouder eyed the other two furtively!   "Well now" he began, as the plane headed down, "you can't deny my supreme intelligence, far greater than either of yours" .. the Bishop shook his head sadly .. "I must have the next chute" said Jim, and so saying he strapped it on and jumped ........

The Bishop looked the Scout squarely in the eye,

"My son" he said, with a tear in his eye, "you are young and have your life ahead, I am old and have lived a happy and fulfilling life, please..... , you take the final parachute."

The Scout smiled up happily at the old Bishop:

"No problemo your Worship, Jim Bouder just picked up my backpack !!!!!!!"

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 01-29-2000).]

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
10 posted 2000-01-29 04:56 PM

FOUL!  FOUL!  Now I'm the brunt of jokes?  FOUL! FOUL!  

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
11 posted 2000-01-29 06:24 PM

Actually Jim ... That should have been FOWL FOWL ... check out my next post  

yes you heard right I AM about to post a real live poem ... well sorta poem anyway..
(you are the hero btw) heh heh

P

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the jump

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary