navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Photography
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Photography Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda

0 posted 2000-01-27 09:58 AM

This is probably too much of an editorial, and might be crappy poetry, but thought i would share anyhow

Native Americans
Say a Photograph
Steals
The soul

That the shutter
Clicks
Something away
Takes a piece
And prints it back
As a third eye
Looking at us
Looking at ourselves

And I think
What was it like before we
All had cameras
To take
Pictures
Of birthdays
Smiles
Walks
Vacations
Holidays

There seemed to be more control
Without
Methinks
Sans Camera
We owned our eyes
We saw the day
As it was
And it was
As it should be

We still had birthdays
We still smiled
Laughed
Even cried
I’m sure
And there wasn’t
A flash in sight

Only faces
Looking at faces
Of people
Looking at people

Like a zoo
We now put bars
In front of the world
With cameras
Lenses
Camcorders
And turn the world
Into an exotic animal
That we have removed
From its normal home
So that we can see
Something we have
Never seen before

So we photograph Things
Like A barn
That has a sign near it
MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN THE WORLD

And I asked someone
What they were taking a picture of
They said
“That Barn”
“Didn’t you see the sign”

I saw the sign
And felt
Maybe
The Native Americans
Understood something
Because I couldn't see a barn
All I could see was
"That barn"

And wondered if anybody
Had seen it
Before
It had quotation marks

[This message has been edited by patchoulipumpkin (edited 01-27-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 patchoulipumpkin - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-01-27 10:27 AM

Patch:

I like introspective work and I like this.  The only problem I have with it (and this is only my opinion) is the format.  Again, this is only my opinion, but this seems to me to be more like parenthetical prose (very good prose, at that) than free-verse poetry.  I just want you to know that I do not intend this to be a slam.  This is how I would break it down:

"Native Americans say a photograph steals the soul, that the shutter clicks something away takes a piece and prints it back as a third eye looking at us looking at ourselves.  [And -- conjunction use at beginning of sentence --] I think [perhaps "wonder" here instead of "think] what was it like before we all had cameras to take pictures of birthdays, smiles, walks
vacations, [and] holidays.  

"There seemed to be more control without, methinks, sans camera.  We owned our eyes, we saw the day as it was, and it was as it should be. We still had birthdays, we still smiled, laughed, even cried, I’m sure, and there wasn’t a flash in sight. Only faces looking at faces of people looking at people

"Like a zoo we now put bars in front of the world with cameras, lenses, camcorders, and turn the world into an exotic animal that we have removed from its normal home so that we can see something we have never seen before.  

"[So -- conjunction use] we photograph things like A barn that has a sign near it "MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN THE WORLD" and I asked someone what they were taking a picture of.

"They said, 'That barn.  Didn’t you see the sign?'

"I saw the sign and felt [perhaps thought?] 'Maybe the Native Americans understood something,' because I couldn't see a barn all I could see was THAT barn and wondered if anybody had seen it before when it was a barn."

In this you clearly state your thesis, develop your position well, and your conclusion is a slam dunk.  Thanks for the read.

< !signature-->

Jim

"If I rest, I rust."  - Martin Luther

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 01-27-2000).]

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
2 posted 2000-01-27 11:55 AM

patch--

this is an awesome piece, i absolutely LOVED it.  and i disagree with jim here entirely, this is very, very good poetry, in my opinion.  for example, the lines

... the shutter
Clicks
Something away

have a impact that you just don't get from jim's prose version.  you do that so well throughout the piece, isolate a word or phrase by a line break, giving it maximum effect.  this is not prose arbitraily cut up into short little lines.  i thought this piece was excellent, patch, in both content and form (with the possible exception of the lines "methinks / sans camera"... thought this was a bit of a misstep).  very provocative, very original.  thanks for a great read!

jenni

[This message has been edited by jenni (edited 01-27-2000).]

DesertJana
since 2000-01-26
Posts 19
USA
3 posted 2000-01-27 12:10 PM

patch...

I have to agree with jenni. This is a highly provative work with a true and clear voice. Powerfully played and resonant.

"I saw the sign
And felt
Maybe
The Native Americans
Understood something
Because I couldn't see a barn
All I could see was
"That barn"

And wondered if anybody
Had seen it
Before
It had quotation marks"

EXCELLENT!

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2000-01-27 12:33 PM

An innovative and insightful piece of work you've wrought, Patch.  I, too, think the format is fine and effective the way it stands.  One comment pertaining to your subject matter (has nothing to do with the poem itself):  The memories that the mind loses are kept alive in photographs.

great work,
warmhrt

P.S.  Jims thinks he's grading research papers.     i.e. thesis, positions, conclusions ...

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2000-01-27 12:50 PM

Patch:

Remarkable!  A piece that reads well as both poetry and prose!    Nice work here Patch.

WH:

Always the smarta** ... you have to admit, though, that it does (1) have all the elements of good prose and (2) reads well as prose.  

Back to Patch:

Since Warmheart suggested I was grading this I don't want to disappoint you so I would give the prose an "A" and the poetry an "A-".  Not too shabby, huh?     Thanks again for the read.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Photography

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary