navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » blink
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic blink Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA

0 posted 2000-01-17 10:02 AM

blink

at the empty intersection
the bobbing traffic light
silently changes
green slips to amber turns red
without so much
as a hypnotic clicking blinker
let alone
the growl of restless engines
or the rasp and crackle
of tires
on deep-veined pavement

momentous occasions
marking all of our lives
approach
silent and bright as neon signs
flashing
beer    beer    beer

looking back
the crossroad’s already behind
I missed it
I blinked
shouldn’t there have been trumpets
or something
to warn me?

and this magnificent
boring blue day
that lures me
out of my bleak old apartment
into the sunshine
is just as quiet or loud
as the days
that changed my life forever

"My empire is of the imagination." -- She

© Copyright 2000 karneliann - All Rights Reserved
haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
1 posted 2000-01-17 11:46 AM

"momentous occasions
marking all of our lives
approach
silent and bright as neon signs
flashing
beer    beer    beer"

Fabulous imagery up there!

Now I know what you want...can I feel this? Yes, but I cannot put it into words...Its almost as if you are saying that the major events and turnings in our lives happen without the pomp & circumstance we expect, and within this philosophy I agree.

The poem itself is well written, honed just right. It is not too abstract and the intersection imagery tied to your thoughts is through and through a true thread.

I like your voice, admire your work. You are a very talented writer and touch on much more than the emptying of images into a basket. Karneliann...I am becoming a fan.

Til Again...
~haze

*Side Notes:
I find it interesting that we are working with in the same color scheme...But we have been crossing crimson and white much...very interesting...more on this later.*

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
2 posted 2000-01-17 04:30 PM

Wow...I don't know what to say except Great job.  I absolutely loved it.  
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda
3 posted 2000-01-17 04:42 PM

THis is great. The last stanza is absolutely wonderful, great paradox. So true.
karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA
4 posted 2000-01-17 04:53 PM

thanks folks!  i'm glad y'all are enjoying my work.

haze- such high praise from a poet such as yourself is making me blush!  you hit the nail right on the head with the philosophy behind this poem.  i'm really excited that you can relate to the connection i tried to make between the intersection and my thoughts.  now i'm feeling all this performance anxiety.  i'll try to see it as a challenge.  thanks!

"My empire is of the imagination." -- She

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
5 posted 2000-01-17 05:48 PM

karneliann: you did it again (*jealous*)... the sounds and descriptions are so vivid and the idea (though i was unprepared for the thought-provoking aspect of the poem when i came to it) is incredible... i hope i'm getting what you intended out of this, but the last 3 lines hit me pretty hard... that every day is no more special than the last in and of themselves, but rather it is the experiences and the choices we make that create significant, life-changing days... something i've thought for a long time but never could find a forum to convey... and now you beat me to it ^_^;;  oh well... at least i was beaten by one more worthy...

sincerely,

**jerome the boy whose brain got left out in the rain and nobody bothered to dry it off when they put it back in

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » blink

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary