navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Life
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
cougaryouth
since 2000-01-10
Posts 25

0 posted 2000-01-12 07:15 PM

Anxiety is high
                         doubts are set
                         what ifs have been thought
                         but still you are shy

Decisions are made
                         fellings are hurt
                         insults are said
                         and paths have been laid

And time rolls on
                         and you learn new things
                         your body gets older
                         and you lose romance
                         but you gain new freinds
                         and your mind gets wiser
                         it goes so fast
                         but time rolls on

you meet the one
                         but you hesitate
                         and after sometime
                         you know shes the one
                         you face new problems
                         and you think you should run
                         but you stick around because the world scares you
                         to live all alone
                         without the ones you love

And time rolls on
                         and you learn new things
                         your body gets older
                         and you lose romance
                         but you gain new freinds
                         and your mind gets wiser
                         it goes so fast
                         but time rolls on

© Copyright 2000 cougaryouth - All Rights Reserved
Hawk183
since 1999-12-24
Posts 130

1 posted 2000-01-13 03:13 PM

Cougar,

I really like this one...especialy the third stanza...the simple stages of life.  I think you could make this poem even better with specific description(events)that take place in these stages.Just a thought. I am looking forward to future post...

Hawk

ps-Welcome to Passions

Artur Hawkwing
since 1999-06-30
Posts 444
USA
2 posted 2000-01-16 01:07 PM

Welcome, cougaryouth!

I liked this poem a lot, as a matter of fact.

1. You are direct to the point and the way you say things come from a fresh perspective.
2. You think with depth about situations arising around you. You come up with your own answers, and you explain things in a way that makes it more meaningful.

I am a person who likes to read poems that are simple and direct to the point. Well done.

My suggestion: stay simple and direct to the point.

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
3 posted 2000-01-16 02:04 PM

Hello,

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the poem but rather just a few pointers about technique etc.
If someone shows you a lost red scarf, do you think it is more interesting to say to the person, "It is a red scarf." or to say, "The scarf, red in nature, lost it's neck thereby reducing its pride to knitted contemplation about its purpose in life."...okay so maybe the second one wasn't all that interesting but I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. Blue sky, yellow sun, wet water, dark night...etc. doesn't tell me a anything I don't know all ready and it certainly doesn't tell the reader your thoughts on the sky or the sun, etc. For example, in this poem you say, "Decisions are made/feelings are hurt/insults are said/and paths have been laid" What decisions, what feelings, what insults and what paths?? You're telling me the sky is blue (I already know this) but you give me no insight to why you think the sky is blue or how the sky became blue. Don't tell me you have a slice of pizza, tell me how it smells, how it tastes, how much it costs, how you earned the money to buy the slice or how you made the pizza....ya get get my drift? Anyways that's my advice....and I don't think there is anything wrong with minimalism as long as it has depth....very tricky thing, perhaps ask Haze for some more advice on this, if that is the form you're searching for.
Also I don't think the repetition of the "And time rolls on...." stanza is not necessary. It's not a song, it's a poem and doesn't really need a chorus, nor is the stanza that important to warrent repetition. Just my opinion.
It also be nice to hear comments from the other on their feelings about comments made towards their work. What did you think about the whole "Tonya" debacle and what do you think about the advice offered towards you're work by the other poets here? It always helps to communicate and be courteous to those who freely offer their advice, otherwise they might feel like their efforts are unappreciated, you don't have to talk their ears off but a few words once in awhile wouldn't hurt, once again, just my opinion. Thanks for the read,
Trevor

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary