navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Unsuspecting Traveler
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Unsuspecting Traveler Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Great Below
since 2001-07-17
Posts 13
Massachusetts, USA

0 posted 2001-07-27 11:49 PM

A yellow bucket
Sits on the horizon of a grassy knoll
Shifting through the wind
Gale breeze spills fourth
A sea of crimson

Hung carefully during midday’s night
A scarecrow mimicking human features
Sways peacefully, lurking

Passing on as if nothing happened
Back turned, moon bright
The shape shifter takes life
Seething through tall grasses

Striking quickly
Savagely dismembering
Precision terror
Perfectly crafted
Expertly wielded

What a way to kick the bucket

© Copyright 2001 Jeremy Graves - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2001-07-29 12:15 PM

This is.... interesting. I think you have real potential with it.

'A yellow bucket
Sits on the horizon of a grassy knoll'

I like this, because it seems to me that giving the grassy knoll a horizon emphasizes its importance, as if it's the whole world, or the only world that matters in the poem. Also, the bucket being yellow seems to indicate cowardice. Good opening.

'Shifting through the wind'

I'm assuming the grass is shifting in the wind, but the phrasing makes it seem like it's the bucket, which doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

'Gale breeze spills fourth
A sea of crimson'

This confuses me, because I don't see where you get a sea from a gale breeze.... maybe if you indicate that the breeze is coming from the sea of crimson it would work better.... but personally, I'd work on making these two lines more original anyway, I've read the 'sea of crimson' description way too many times.

'Hung carefully during midday’s night'

Midday's night sounds really corny to me.  

'A scarecrow mimicking human features'

Again, kind of corny... and sounds like an obvious setup for a metaphor about conformity and its dangers.

'Sways peacefully, lurking'

This image seems silly... when I think of lurking, i think sinister, I think tiger, I think prowler or rapist... and I don't imagine any of those things peacefully swaying while they lurk... lol.

'Passing on as if nothing happened'

Who is passing on? The subject of the poem? Is that the scarecrow, or someone seperate? I was confused.

'Back turned, moon bright'

I didn't realize this was set at night. It surprised me too much.... maybe something indicating night in the beginning of the poem? And once again, whose back is turned?

'The shape shifter takes life'

This line seems to be talking about the scarecrow... is he about to prey on the subject of the poem, or is he himself the subject? I'm still confused.

'Seething through tall grasses'

I think this is a cool image, since seething is usually applied to an emotion, but you already tlaked about grass... maybe use a synonym, I think blades would be cool, but it's your poem.

'Striking quickly
Savagely dismembering
Precision terror
Perfectly crafted
Expertly wielded'

Too vague. First of all, it's a series of actions with no subject or object, and that makes it weak. the quick machine-gun flow does create a sense of chaos, but the chaos has no foundation, no reason behind it if you see what I'm saying. Like if the poem had a definite protagonist/antagonist, it would make more sense, but since there isn't, I felt kind of bewildered.

'What a way to kick the bucket'

LOL, I like this, it's witty and it ties the oddball opening in with the general theme.

What I would do if I were you is just work on turning the general them into more direct statement, by using more explanatory words and images, especially in a poem with characters...develop the characters. Give us something tangible to work with, not just little clues.... I think this could be revised into something really good... I hope to see a re-write posted. Hope I helped.

BTW- forgive any spelling errors, but it's very late and I've been typing for a very long time.  

You are more than the sum of what you consume
Desire is not an occupation
-Nicole Blackman/KMFDM

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Unsuspecting Traveler

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary