navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Quiet Tears
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Quiet Tears Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
CherryBlossom
since 2001-10-13
Posts 14
Communicate!

0 posted 2001-10-13 09:46 PM

The dark embrace of the Night wraps my body
As the cold caress of the Breeze soothes my angered soul
And the rustling leaves of the nearby trees send whispers to my ears
Do not fear... do not fear...
Sadness never remains...
Anger vanishes within time itself...

Words that dissipate in the wind
But stay true in my heart
I repeat them
I savor them
I adorn them with my endless quiet tears
In humble appreciation...

[This message has been edited by CherryBlossom (edited 10-13-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 CherryBlossom - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2001-10-25 12:59 PM

I think you have some potential with this but if you branched out more, hit more tangents, got more specific with what you are trying to say it would work better and have a more definite impact on the reader. Do some more exploring and expand on these ideas, as is it's a bit too vague.

I eat only sleep and air -Nicole Blackman

Kevin Taylor
since 1999-12-23
Posts 185
near Vancouver, BC, Canada
2 posted 2001-10-25 03:57 AM

Dark embrace... cold caress. They're fine but if you are going to capitalize Night and Breeze then perhaps you might consider dropping the article...

The dark embrace of Night wraps my body...

You go on to say that such-and-such soothes your angered soul - do you have a soul or are you one?

If sadness does not remain then why are your tears endless? Perhaps the ideal and the real are at odds but it is not clear where you want the reader to go with this.

I agree that titles can be a chore at times - it is often easier to refer to the poem by it's first line or by the first few words...

The dark embrace...

Kevin

"Poetry is, at once, what you get... and how you get there."

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2001-10-25 11:42 AM

Hi CherryBlossom,

I seemed to have missed this one the first time around. Thanks Kevin, for bringing it back up. I see that this is your first post in the CA forum and I wanted to welcome you to the group.

I think Hush and Kevin have both given good advice. On first reading, I didn't relate but after giving it more thought as it deserves, I agree that there is potential but I would like just a bit more information. I get the feeling it refers to something more specific and perhaps would like some hint as to what it was.

Check you email for a message.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

The Lady of Shallot
since 2001-10-03
Posts 818
USA
4 posted 2001-10-31 01:43 PM

This is loaded down with modifiers, prepositional phrases and  cliches and says nothing at all!  I would first know what thought you are trying to get across and then follow it through, less wordy, more specific, in day to day language. Good luck!

-befriend yourself and you will never be alone-

CherryBlossom
since 2001-10-13
Posts 14
Communicate!
5 posted 2001-11-05 08:28 PM

Ah, great advice. Finally, people who are not afraid to tell it as it is.  

Ok, when I wrote this I was going thru' an awful depression, I didn't feel like writing all I felt, that's why it's lacking. Now that I'm feeling better I'll work on it and take the advice you have given me.   Arigatou!!

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
6 posted 2001-12-30 06:05 PM

I love the way you use the words in this poem, Cherryblossom...
especially the internal rhyme here

"And the rustling leaves of the nearby trees send whispers to my ears"

but the poem as a whole seems a bit disjunctive...as if you were discussing several topics at one time.
Try to center your work on one theme.
I think you are off to a good start with this one, though.  With a bit of tweaking, it could become excellent.

copyright2001 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Quiet Tears

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary