navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » September, Kansas
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic September, Kansas Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas

0 posted 2001-09-21 08:10 PM

September, Kansas

Tonight, the rain's
cicadal hum drowns out the
howls of dog day humidity.

Tomorrow, the falling
sun will accent the
trees in shades of
red, like the road
below.

Sigur Ros

© Copyright 2001 Ryan Williams - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2001-09-23 02:23 PM

I like the opening lines... but usually I think of dog days as hot and dry, not humid...

I kind of thought this ended just a bit abruptly... 'like the road below' sort of came out of nowhere, and seems like it should have some great impact, but I just can't make the connection between the trees and the road....

I eat only sleep and air -Nicole Blackman

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2001-09-24 11:28 AM

Hi Ryan,

I shouldn't have read Hush's comments before forming my own. Now I really con't think of anything else to say.

I didn't have a problem with the humidity though. To me, the dog days just implies hot, sweaty and pretty miserable. Humidity seems to fit that mold pretty well.

I'm not sure that abruptly really defines the end but something about the road just felt out of place. Sorry I can't come up with a more meaningful description yet. Maybe later.

Pete

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

3 posted 2001-09-28 11:28 PM

Ryan,

I liked the way you put so much imagery into so few lines. I agree with Pete that "dog days" are usually hot, humid, and sticky.

The second stanza paints a beautful picture of a sun setting on a red dirt road. Nice work.

Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » September, Kansas

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary