navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » untitiled
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic untitiled Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dr. Jo-Bizz
since 2001-06-06
Posts 97

0 posted 2001-07-07 01:10 PM

bitterness of death
flows from two souls,
taints every breath.
smoldering rage,
saturation of perverted pride
lies!
whispered by
the darkest of messengers
and treasured up
in dying human minds.

their spoken daggers
pierce old scabs,
reciprocating
hatred for hatred
in endless momentum of
imagined injustice-
while blood drips
  gushes
from emotional wounds
left unstaunched,
rubbed with the salt
of malicious tears
from the slitted eyes
of a serpent.

my blood mingles with theirs
while being trapped
between two I love,
beaten down by a storm of anger
beyond comprehension.
stretched by their seperation,
until ties to each and to me
slowly, painfully
rip my heart
in two, useless halves.

But His word was in my heart
like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
I was weary of holding back,
And I could not.

© Copyright 2001 Dr. Jo-Bizz - All Rights Reserved
Jonathon A. Lowry
since 2001-07-07
Posts 38

1 posted 2001-07-08 12:12 PM

whats up doc
   beautifully put  your imagery gave me chills i felt as if i was in your mind  i am very impressed nice work

jonathon

scout
since 2001-06-16
Posts 175
no place owns me
2 posted 2001-07-09 10:56 AM

So gothic, How  can I be brutal when you already have?  I shall pray for your soul that your heart may be one in the Lord, and never factioned towards anything except that of which God has given you.  And you shouldn't huff stuff, because  that's a no no! tsk tsk...  (I really like the poem, even though it's dark, i don't know why it's dark, tell me why is it dark?)

In His Presence,

xscoutx
"Son of man with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes. Yet do not lament or weep or shed any tears."-Eze.24:16

the_rescue
since 2001-05-23
Posts 316
Japan
3 posted 2001-07-09 11:05 AM

jo is this what I think it's about that thing you asked me to pray about last week cause if so i can understand where these feelings are coming from, I hope all is better soon.  

As for the poem itself I liked it there is something about your writting that has a sense of power as well as visualization and such.  you capture the readers attention from the start which is always a good thing.  

Later
The Rescue

we fall like the stars then rise like the sun..Repentence.Forgiveness.We are blame worthy hold us to our wrongs..but don't hold our wrongs against us

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
4 posted 2001-07-09 12:45 PM

I think your wording is too distant- like 'the darkest of messengers'? Nobody I know of would talk like that, and while a poem isn't supposed to mirror everyday speech exactly, it shouldn't be that far of a cry from it (in my opinion at least). It just makes it sound really unnatural and forced. I also think this imagery has been used over and over again- the more you read, the more you'll see it- and the more bored you'll get of it. It's a starting point, but focusing on the way you would really talk is a good way to get out of that habit. Hope I helped a bit.

everything's fine.

Dr. Jo-Bizz
since 2001-06-06
Posts 97

5 posted 2001-07-09 02:43 PM

scott, you know i only huff animal crackers, and i've even cut back on that....
its dark because this part of my life is dark.
jimmy, thanks for the encouragement.  yes you are correct.  please keep praying.
hush, thanks for the critism.  i will take that to heart.  they say the same things of my sister's poetry also; perhaps its a family trait?  and i tend towards imagery because i am an artist and to me i must see things even through my words.

But His word was in my heart
like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
I was weary of holding back,
And I could not.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
6 posted 2001-07-09 07:01 PM

Hi Jo, firstly I really enjoyed this poem and from the images and your replies to the others I can tell that the subject matter is quite personal so I don't want to let rip. Very powerful images, very visual, and being an artist can help, I know (if you can call animation an art form..maybe maybe not, not talking Disney here by the way) but my one problem and I think Hush touched on this is the type of images you used, classic gothic images... serpents, daggers.. I think you can see where I am going with this. As an artist I am sure that you can create more less used images. Personally I think it would give the poem more impact, and show off your poetic skill more. enjoyed the read.

"Like Sand underneath the snow, I make you mine." Kristin Hersh

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » untitiled

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary