navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Do we know them well
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Do we know them well Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands

0 posted 2001-09-10 06:59 PM

This is one I wrote in Dutch long time ago, I recently translated it into English. (Some of you might have read it on Open #15)

People live together
but do we know them well
or are we just assuming we do
appearing it is not that true

People work together
but do we know them well
if someone needs our care
are we truly willing to share

People believe together
but do we know them well
brotherhood is what should be
but holy wars is all we see

People talk together
but do we know them well
do we listen in such a way
that we hear what they've to say

Maybe if we could stop to be
less superficial we would see
that although we thought we knew
we really haven't the faintest clue

We should really take more care
we should really try more to share
cause if we really think it's worth
we have a chance to a peaceful earth

After the events of today sept. 11, I wonder if we will reach peace ever.

People lived together
we didn't know them well
they came and took the lifes
of so many husbands and wifes

It didn't help that we took care
it didn't help we tried to share
they took away all we thought worth
will this ever be a peaceful earth

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace/

[This message has been edited by Titia Geertman (edited 09-11-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Titia Geertman - All Rights Reserved
paladin
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.
1 posted 2001-09-19 12:25 PM

I invite you to read my poem "Peace".

paladin

aries_luv_ppl
since 2001-09-20
Posts 1448
Universal Mind
2 posted 2001-09-21 09:13 PM

Hi,

I think your poem is very nice. I'm not very good in English and I'm new here. (English is my second language. I like the meaning of your poem. Please visit my website http://dreamcity.faithweb.com/poetry/ and  sign my guestbook=) Nice to meet you.

Love,
Vivian

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
3 posted 2001-09-22 06:18 PM

I will paladin that is....if you'll tell me where to find it  

Vivian, thanks for your reply

Titia

Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace/

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

4 posted 2001-09-22 11:15 PM

Titia---I read this poem when you first posted it in 15, though, I don't believe I responded.  And I have no 'critical analysis' now, simply my thoughts and feelings.  When I read it then and now, my first thoughts were of my girlfriends relationship with our neighbors.  She is the social one, the one to welcome, make casual conversation, take a plant to a new neighbor.  I remember thinking the first time I read this, how glad I was that she'd outgrown much of the 'learned' behaviour she'd picked up from her less than liberal family, for we live in an area of the city that is highly diverse in culture.  Now she is afraid and trying so hard not to let that fear color her response to a new face or accent.  
I think the essence of your message here, is still true.  If we get to know one another, as human beings just like ourselves, we aren't so likely to get stuck in stereotypes or fear.  But that has taken on a whole new dimension now, hasn't it?  I wonder about the neighbors of the terrorists who had been living in this country for years.  Did they speak as they passed on the sidewalk outside their apartments?  Or were their eyes diverted?
Anyway, Titia...all that to say, I appreciated your write then and I ponder it more deeply now.  Again, so glad you're back amongst us.  Maybe a sheep and/or roses pic soon?  If I ask really nice?

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
5 posted 2001-09-23 06:42 AM

Dear Duncan

Thanks for your sincere and open reply.
I wrote this poem years ago after I discovered that in the response of something that happened, it appears I didn't know a friend I thought I'd known for eighteen years. She had put up a face all that time and showed her real face at last. Friendship ended there as did her marriage too for the same reason.

As for the deverse cultures, I've worked couple of years in a shelter refugee's camp overhere, teaching people who had fled from their countries the standards and norms common in this country.
It was a refreshing time, for I learned quite a lot from them too.
There I learned that so many simple things could arouse a distance and irritation between cultures. For instance the giving of a present. In our culture we open the gift in presence of the one that gives it but, in so many other cultures that appeared to be a real unpolite behaviour, they open their gifts when people are gone. When I visited some of them in their room in the shelter, they always offered me something to drink or eat, even if I did tell them I didn't want it. They just put it besides you, just in case you will change your mind.
In their culture it's polite to say no at first when offered something to drink and they couldn't understand when visiting with us, they didn't get anything anymore after they said no.
On the market we pay the marked price without questioning, they're used to bargain over the price, wich made the marketpeople say: 'I don't like foreigners, they always want something for nothing', and so another culturegap was born. It was quite fun to do, we were sitting in a circle, throw in a subject and we discussed the different ways of acting in different cultures. So they learned our way and we learned their way

I think the neighbours of those terrorists must feel terrible, being deceived as they were, but they would have been too when their neighbour was a nice American who appeared to be a vicious criminal.
So please try to convince your girlfriend it's not the culture that's bad, but just some people in that culture and there are bad people in every culture.

Thanks again and you will see some sheep and roses soon, I promise.

Titia

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Do we know them well

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary