navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » savior clone
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic savior clone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

0 posted 2001-05-06 10:42 PM

"savior clone"

she longs to leave
holds no faith in me

faith
once forsaken for me
in gowns of floss

so long ago
only the wind remembers
and whispers
of the loss

choosing our begotten
no faults forsaken
forgiveness is forgotten
giving is not taken

leaving love
faded fervor
forever fault
forfeit faith
vacuum vault

killing
vestigial vows
marriage moments
valued vignettes
killing
me with silence
herself
with cigarettes

tangled in the talons
of my rotting roots
she thrashes
thirsting for freedom
from the foundation
she smashes

I am her savior clone

for I cannot leave here
         alive
yet I cannot leave her
         alone

[This message has been edited by coyote (edited 05-07-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 coyote - All Rights Reserved
roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
1 posted 2001-05-06 11:31 PM

coyote-
this is very powerful work here.  i don't know if i can do it justice with a critique, but it seems like just telling you how wonderful it is won't do it justice either.  so i'm going to try, making no promises.
start with the title.  intriguing to put it simply, but it also perfectly matches the tone of this poem.  you've created an archetype of sorts, the savior clone.

"she longs to leave
holds no faith in me

faith
once forsaken for me
in gowns of floss"

i like the broken, longing feel your words have to them from the beginning.  you make simple statements and put vague descriptions behind that to evoke a sort of muted emotion, one that makes every other emotion like it rush to its aide, a flood of feeling, but a sort of certainty that we haven't gotten to what it really is yet.

"so long ago
only the wind remembers
and whispers
of the loss"

beautiful... simply beautiful.  subtle rhyme from the former stanza really adds to your affect, being "remembered" in another stanza.

"choosing our begotten
no faults forsaken
forgiveness is forgotten
giving is not taken"

i know, from the quality of the rest of this poem, that this is not forced rhyme, but it feels like it.  plus the repetition of the word "forsaken."  the "give, got, take, sake" thing is just too much here.  as much as i love the rest of this poem, this stanza doesnt' work for me.

"leaving love
faded fervor
forever fault
forfeit faith
vacuum vault"

i like the rhyme better here.  i don't know if the line "forfeit faith" is necessary.  you've already said it, and it seems like the rhythm would be better suited to a four line stanza with the strong rhyming couplet at the end.  it makes the point that you are making that much clearer.  as you get more specific in the following lines, the stacatto rhyming couplet i think would be like the gun blast before a race.  just my opinion.

"killing
vestigial vows
marriage moments
valued vignettes
killing
me with silence
herself
with cigarettes"

i love the parallel here.  this is another really great stanza.  no crits.

"tangled in the talons
of my rotting roots
she thrashes
thirsting for freedom
from the foundation
she smashes"

beautiful imagery here.  it gives the reader a better, though still vague idea, of what your pain is.

"I am her savior clone

for I cannot leave here
         alive
yet I cannot leave her
         alone"

at the risk of repeating myself, i love this stanza too.  i love the parallel construction.  i love the rhyme. after reading this, i thought it would make a really good song, but i think it's poetic worth is also great.  one of those things you feel when you read aloud, and one of those things you feel when you read it to yourself.  i love the conclusion here.  you can't get away.  the pathos is tangible.  
the only minor suggestion i would make is maybe another stanza to add to the anticipation.  keep it as vague as it is now, but maybe to align your reader more with the savior clone by giving the reader more to hold on to.
excellent work.  this is a truly exceptional poem.

coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

2 posted 2001-05-07 12:25 PM

Wow!
Thanks, Roxane.
I'm still absorbing all your suggestions. As to the stanza that doesn't work for you, it does seem forced and stuttered, mixing the vowels and voices of the words throughout the wordplay, but I'll try to explain each line in more detail:
choosing our begotten
(choosing to believe events happened the way we have recreated them, rather than the way they actually transpired, with a marriage image attached)
no faults forsaken
(no quarter given when faults become blame, unlike the forsaking of faith)
forgiveness is forgotten
(a sort of liguistic implosion of the "forgive and forget" adage)
giving is not taken
(again a sort of reversal of the "taking and giving" theme)
Essentially this stanza attempts a description of the "lock-up stage" of recurring argument, the kind that starts somewhere different each time, but always ends up in the same place eventually. An outline of the "faultline", where "you're damned if you do and damned if you don't".
Again, I appreciate your comments and will try to smooth this out some more.
Billy  

"The rose, like the cactus flower, protects herself with thorns. We however, impale ourselves on their beauty."
coyote

Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia
3 posted 2001-05-07 02:31 AM

Great work and powerful topic. Could describe an awful lot of relationships I know!
I loved the lines:

killing
me with silence
herself
with cigarettes

especially the suggestion that this situation is really destructive for the "saviour" as well as her. The one place I stumbled was over the word "talons" - doesn't quite seem to work with the imagery of roots.
Thanks for putting this out there.
Jo  

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
4 posted 2001-05-07 11:59 PM

hey coyote--

i enjoyed this piece, especially the beginning and the end (especially, especially, the end, lol).  i thought the alliteration kind of got in the way of things in the middle of the piece, but that may just be me (i've never been a really big fan of alliteration).  

nice job on this, coyote.  thanks for posting it for us.

jenni

coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

5 posted 2001-05-08 12:10 PM

Thanks for reading, Jo.
I appreciate your comments. Yes, the talons are sort of out of place with roots, yet the image is supposed to be that of a tomb or temple entwined with roots of restringent history, rather than roots of a tree. I felt the bird of prey picture through the talons, evokes a concept of crucified captivity from which there is little hope of escape. I'll have to work on that some, though it will be hard to find a sharp, yet abstract, "T" word that fits, without using thorns or something.

coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

6 posted 2001-05-08 12:16 PM

Hey Jenni,
As you can see from my reply to Jo, I'm looking for a "T" word, so alliteration is foremost in my mind at this juncture. lol
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate you reading.
Billy  

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
7 posted 2001-05-08 04:20 PM

coyote--

trimming "talons"?  tsk, tsk.  "talons" is terrific.

try tangled in the "tendrils", "trunks" or "tendons".

or test:
trapped by the tongs
twined in the tweezers

trembling in the teeth
of a towering triceratops

.... totally tubular.    

ta-ta!

jenni

[This message has been edited by jenni (edited 05-08-2001).]

coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

8 posted 2001-05-08 07:06 PM

LoL, at Jenni.
Now I see why alliteration isn't really your thing.
But I've concluded it is not talons but the word tangled, which supercedes the image of a bird of prey with that of a tree. So I'm replacing "tangled" with "twitching".
Thanks , Billy  

"The rose, like the cactus flower, protects herself with thorns. We however, impale ourselves on their beauty."
coyote

Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia
9 posted 2001-05-09 05:57 AM

ahhh, yes!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » savior clone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary