navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » her hand
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic her hand Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us

0 posted 2001-04-09 11:20 PM

this time
i didn't cry when he left
i think you had a hand in that
it would be just like you

and you chide me for my
morbidity, everyday picturing
some sad lump of soil
with a headstone i couldn't quit touching

even if it's too far away
i still see the flowers in west virginia
when i close my eyes, they dance in the wind
like the hem of your skirt as you talked

and i feel it gliding over me
eighteen hundred green ribbons
each one a little tear in me
and this tear grows wider...

this year
all the trees grew blossoms
at the same time
i think you had a hand in that

all good things
she's got her little white hand in it
tammy
i wish you had that hand in mine

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true." Nietzsche

[This message has been edited by roxane (edited 04-11-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 roxane - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2001-04-10 10:12 AM

Hi Roxane,

It's good to see you back. Yes, I see the tie between this and my latest. I really like the way you said it. Tom, "I think you had a hand in that", is a terrific line. It says so much more that its words.

Flowers, dancing ribbons and such may be a common image but I like the way you presented it.

You know I'm not much good at free verse but if you and Kris and a couple of others keep showing me how it should be done, I will gradually learn at least a little. So, keep writing and don't stay away so long.

Thanks,
Pete

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
2 posted 2001-04-10 12:03 PM

rox--

very beautiful piece here, i really enjoyed this.  i especially liked the repetition of the "you had a hand" phrase and the way that made the ending more powerful.  very well done.  the third stanza is quite wonderful, very nice images there with the flowers and the wind and the hem of the skirt.  i really liked the last two stanzas, too, simple but quite touching.

in the second stanza, "everyday, forever" and "perpetually" is maybe a bit too much, a bit too broad and vague and repetitious, in my opinion.  in the fourth stanza, when you write "i feel it gliding over me," i was a little confused about what the "it" refers to... the grave?  the wind?  the hem of her skirt?  i think you mean the wind, but, to me, anyway, it wasn't clear.

anyway, small crits in an otherwise beautiful piece.  well done!  thanks for a good read.

jenni

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
3 posted 2001-04-10 01:33 PM

This poem has a very definite mood and the ending has a twist that I liked.  Very sad.
I agree with Jenni about reducing the redundant and vague language. I would lose lines which do clarify somewhat but are ultimately unnecessary such as: "i'm pretty sure you did," "even if it's too far away," "when i close my eyes," "as you talked".
I liked the images of the green ribbons and was wondering if there is a signifigance in the number 1800?

Disclaimer: The preceding statement is just my opinion.

furlong
since 2001-04-08
Posts 129

4 posted 2001-04-10 04:46 PM

"all good things
she's got her little white hand in it
tammy
i wish you had that hand in mine"

The witholding of the name until the end was extremely effective and poignant.  A nice read. Thanks.

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
5 posted 2001-04-11 11:55 AM

i'm going to go back and make some adjustments to the grave stanza.  i think you're right jenni.  i also wanted to explain the green ribbon:  when tammy died, all her students wore green ribbons, 1800 in all.  thanks for the help.
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
6 posted 2001-04-12 03:11 PM

hey rox--

i like the changes you made to second stanza, good job.  the word "morbidity" is maybe a tad awkward even on the best of days, lol, but i think it works here.

i still have the problem with what "it" refers to in the first line of the fourth stanza, though.

the more i read this piece, the more i like the second to last stanza; very beautiful.

again...great job on this rox!

jenni

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » her hand

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary