navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Ripples
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ripples Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
zorkon65
since 2000-04-22
Posts 27

0 posted 2001-02-13 11:34 PM

ok guys have at it, fresh meat on the barby lol

Ripples
by charlie herring

Drop a stone
Into the river
Watch the ripples
Watch the waves
It creates
Drop someone special
Into a life
Watch the smiles
Hear the laughter
Feel the joy
And the lessening
Of pain
Joy and love
Fill the troubled times
When you touch
You change
You make better
You make special
You console
You rejoice
You set and listen
You cry
You laugh
Rocks create ripples
So do friends

work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one's watching, and
love like you've never been hurt

© Copyright 2001 charlie Herring - All Rights Reserved
dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
1 posted 2001-02-14 12:31 PM

Hey zorkon,
I REALLY liked the poem. Great ideas behind it and the rock and ripple thing was great. I didn't particularly like
"and the lessening
of pain
joy and love
fill the troubled times"
It sounds at first like joy and love are being lessened. It takes a second read, and it could be more clear. Sorry no suggestions.
My second critique is that all the "you"s near the end become repetitive and annoying. Try something like
"When you touch
you change
make better
make special
console
rejoice
sit and listen
cry
laugh"
If you don't like one line sentences, try
"When you touch
you change
make better
make special
console and rejoice
sit and listen
cry and laugh"
If you do that I might switch cry and laugh around. You could also com bine make better and make special into "make better and special" although that kind of loses the flow.
Overall, though, I loved it, it was really well done! Congratulations!

....peace as a primary objective is dangerous because it implies that we would sacrifice anything for the sake of it....
Robert Kaplan

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

2 posted 2001-02-14 09:45 AM

Simply too many "you's" the meaning is great, but this is overdone

"I walked beside the evening sea and dreamed a dream that could not be." George William Curtis

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2001-02-14 10:03 AM

I have to agree with Kathleen, you is overdone. But I get the feeling more than that is overdone. This reminds me of a rant, but in reverse, if such a thing exists. I think it would be better if you picked something more specific, like the rock and ripples, and expand. Be a bit more metaphoric with the rest.

On another subject, I personally have a hard time accepting no punctuation. Careful attention to line breaks is supposed to take care of it but I'm not sure I accept that idea. But I don't think your line breaks help me read this one without stumbling and having to go back a line or two at times.

Of course, this is just one opinion.

Pete

Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2001-02-14 05:24 PM

Okay, friends are like rocks. It's not a bad idea but there's more you can do here. What about a concrete poem? Try, somehow, to show the ripples in the line breaks themselves (the short lines may be intended to show skipping but that gives the poem a real 'surface' feel -- probably want to move away from that). I see two directions you might want to consider: go Whitman on us and throw everthing you possibly can into this poem, overwhelm us with the imagery or go Williams on us and suggest the metaphor without actually explaining it (haiku might be able to do this as well).

Just some ideas,
Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Ripples

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary