navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Images
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Images Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2001-01-28 10:13 PM

This is the Future.  
There are no bare streets,
Nor wrecked buildings,
As some have thought there would be....

Now the buildings have
Been remodelled into
Great skyscrapers
And monuments to the progress of Mankind....

But there are crushed dreams.

O how we wanted so much
To have a wonderful world,
And a paradise in which to live.
Instead we have a vortex of conformity.....

Do I remember the way
It used to be,
When there were trees
And blue skies?

No.  
Neither does anyone else.

No one wants to

Remember.

© Copyright 2001 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2001-01-29 06:45 PM

Don't suppose you could put more images in a poem called 'Images'? I guess that's the point though. Still, maybe a little less didacticism and a little more picture might make this more interesting.

Just an opinion,
Brad

mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

2 posted 2001-01-30 02:15 PM

ho! Frac!

i can see what this is saying, man!  this goes hand in hand with my comment on "human cooth" over in "phi-lo 101".  a few ideas have been dictated to the masses, and the cattle don't question.  only the Buggers!

despite the expression of social suffocation and the desire to be an individual, i found the structure of the poem trying too hard.  especially with the separation of

no one wants to
(and)
remember.

i feel that for this poem, these two lines should be reconnected.  i don't feel it's emotional enough to allow for a dramatic separartion.  not trying to take away from the impact of the poem. . .suggesting a perception.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2001-01-30 03:49 PM

Brad:

I suppose you are right.  It wasn't really my sole intent to include too many images in the poem.  I just called it "Images" because I couldn't come up with a better name for it, lol.  However, I think it would be interesting to try doing it with more images.  Perhaps a futuristic type of Elliot's "The Wasteland"...

Mark:

Thankyou for the advice.  I do have a tendancy to incorporate spaces like that into my poetry for no apparent reason.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Images

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary