navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Road to You
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Road to You Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

0 posted 2001-01-19 09:41 PM

I drive,
on automatic pilot,

scenery flipping by unnoticed,

as my mind
wanders along roads
unseen,

roads that lead
but to one destination,

to you, my love,
always, to you,

the dusty lanes
of what has been,

and the as yet
untraveled surfaces

of what will be.

Kris
< !signature-->

"As to conforming outwardly and living your own life inwardly, I do not think much of that" - Thoreau

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 01-19-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 warmhrt - All Rights Reserved
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
1 posted 2001-01-20 07:49 PM

Kris,
  Brilliant!!!!!!

I am in awe.
             J.L.H.

Jason
God is a warm whisper from the cool void.
Jack Kerouac

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2001-01-22 09:48 AM

Well, Kris, I am always in awe of your ability to write FV. I still don't understand how you do it   But what's the sudden interest in "love poems?" This seems a bit strange doesn't it? Now understand that I'm not complaining. Quite to the contrary, I think it is a lovely new twist.

Interesting imagery you have here. But again, you always seem to do that. I guess my only question would be, why so much blank space, all the short stanzas?

Pete

Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

YeshuJah Malikk
since 2000-06-29
Posts 263

3 posted 2001-01-22 12:40 PM

Driving is well used here as the vehicle of choice for this well written poem.  Good stuff.  I especially like the last line.
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2001-01-22 09:18 PM

Jason,

Is the sun in your eyes? You can't possibly be commenting on this paltry offering...are you? If so, I thank you deeply.

Pete,

I've always written love poems...they just aren't usually this concrete. My brain is on overtime, so it's just what's coming out. Perhaps it's a good thing...don't know. It's different for me though.

The blank space or short stanzas, as you called them, are breaks or pauses...if you read it as it should be, the spaces are longer pauses than what a comma would be.
As always, thanks for the kind words.

Yesh,

The vehicle employed to accomplish the effect desired was, yes, driving...glad you liked the road...I mean read.

Kris

"As to conforming outwardly and living your own life inwardly, I do not think much of that" - Thoreau

mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

5 posted 2001-01-23 12:27 PM

ok. . .now i understand what space does!  i didn't just make it up!  

this is good kris!  my thoughts:  

as my mind
wanders along roads
unseen

roads that lead
but one destination

to you, my love,
always to you,

the dusty lanes
of what has been

and the as yet
untraveled surfaces

of what will be.

"unseen" makes the word "been" sound like "bean"--which is cool, yet canadian (smile!)--which makes me question

and the as yet
untraveled surfaces

does "the" sound like the typical midwestern "thuh", or is it supposed to sound like ye olde english "thee"?

i question because (to me) it affects the stress of the syllable, which in turn affects the flow.

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

6 posted 2001-01-23 07:53 PM

Mark,

You come up with questions I have no answer to, and have never thought about...

I suppose I could cop out and say that the reader would be the one to make that decision, as, ultimately, it is his to make.

Thank you for your positive comments,
Kris

Lerk
since 2000-11-17
Posts 49
Dayton, OH USA
7 posted 2001-01-24 11:09 AM

I liked this one. My ONLY tweak would be to remove the first comma, as the line break does the pause for you without it.

"A little folly now and then, is treasured by the wisest men" --Willy Wonka

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Road to You

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary