navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A single tear
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic A single tear Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between

0 posted 2000-12-26 01:58 AM

A single tear
rolls down her pale face.
A single tear
to represent this latest injustice.
A single tear
and she moves on
ashen face unfeeling
A single tear
which mirrors all
her inner feelings
which are quickly
barred
and banished
to the depths of her soul
in hope they will not be resurrected
again.
A single tear
rolls down the same path
that all the other tears
have taken
down that blank face
so cold and hard.
A single tear
and her eyes
become dull mirrors
of nothingness
once again.
A single tear
and she takes another step
and loses herself
in anything
that will keep her free
of her emotions.

....peace as a primary objective is dangerous because it implies that we would sacrifice anything for the sake of it....

© Copyright 2000 Adam Everett - All Rights Reserved
Lerk
since 2000-11-17
Posts 49
Dayton, OH USA
1 posted 2000-12-26 04:34 PM

There are two lines here that dont seem to fit in with the spare economy of the rest of the poem...

to represent this latest injustice.

and.....

in hope they will not be resurrected

I think these need to either be more in spirit of the rest of the poem, or they need to be made more UNlike so that the way they stand out is more striking.

dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
2 posted 2000-12-27 12:52 PM

Hi Lerk!
Welcome to Passions!
Thanks for the critique, do you have any suggestions?
Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

....peace as a primary objective is dangerous because it implies that we would sacrifice anything for the sake of it....

dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
3 posted 2000-12-27 12:53 PM

Sorry, Lerk,
when I say suggestions, I mean how should I change those lines. I read it and it was unclear. Sorry!

Lerk
since 2000-11-17
Posts 49
Dayton, OH USA
4 posted 2000-12-27 10:57 AM

Hi...I hate to directly suggest, since your poem has a distinctive voice, but the following are general multiple suggestions, which may or may not fit what you're trying to say. I only offer them as "feeling" to fit the voice of the poem better, IMHO.

A single tear
rolls down her pale face.
A single tear
--(replace) to represent this latest injustice.
--(shows her pain)?
--(runs in worn paths)?
--(salty ribbon)?
--(silently cries out)?
--(make silent passage)?
--(accuses silently)?

barred
and banished
to the depths of her soul
(replace)in hope they will not be resurrected
again.
--(never to return)?
--(unwakeable)?
--(sealed, unforgotten)?
--(unresurrectable)?
--(stiller than death)?

anyhow, I havent posted a poem here yet, as I had intended to critique a few more first, to be fair. But I started critiquing a while back and got sidetracked with the holidays and whatnot, so perhaps I'll post a poem anyway.

YeshuJah Malikk
since 2000-06-29
Posts 263

5 posted 2000-12-28 07:25 PM

I didn't get further than the second line. The repetition of a single tear turned me off.  I imagine you wanted to use repetition for the possible effect this can give, but I don't feel you got it right here.  I have no suggestions other than maybe you should try reading some poetry that uses repetition and see how you could re-tool yours.
dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
6 posted 2000-12-29 08:20 PM

Hey Lerk!
Thanks, I'll look at that, I'm in a hurry now.
Anticipating your post.
YeshuJah, I'll do some reading soon, I've actually been planning on it for a while. Thanks.

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2000-12-30 01:21 AM

dreamer,

I think this has good potential, but I agree with Yesh in that there is too much repetition. There are so many other ways to say those same words...I suggest exploring that, and using your repetition with great care. It can be an effective tool if used correctly...and sparingly. I would also suggest reading poetry, and how-to material on poetry.

Keep writing...it's one of the ways you'll gain more and more skills,

Kris

All good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings...~William Wordsworth

Sappho
since 2000-12-30
Posts 6

8 posted 2000-12-30 02:09 PM

I have to agree with the others. I see what you're trying to create-the circular feeling of being swept into the poem through repetition, nevertheless, I think the effect causes more of a break in the flow, rather then continuing the circle.
dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
9 posted 2001-01-01 10:55 PM

OK back to the drawing board!  
Now to lose myself in reading. YES!  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
10 posted 2001-01-06 08:17 PM

As I was reading this, an idea suddenly popped in my head -- why not write a poem that follows the travels of single tear through a kind of water cycles -- personify it and show the happiness, perhaps, of being in the clouds or in the ocean, or drank and reincarnated as yet another tear.

Just an idea,
Brad

dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
11 posted 2001-01-06 08:55 PM

Hey Brad, that's a good idea! I'll work on that. I must say, I was really surprised to see this poem again in the forums, I'm glad you posted though. I'll see what I can do.

Robert Kaplan

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A single tear

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary