navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Please.....
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Please..... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

0 posted 2000-11-27 02:10 PM

Please...take this from me
she pleads
she begs
down on her knees
though no one hears her
nor offers alternatives

Why me
she wails
she sobs
into robes soaked with cries past
though no one answers  not a whisper
she decides what society tells her must be the truth

Please...take this from me
her mother pleads
and begs
down on her knees
grief holding her to the floor
beneath undeserved guilt and sorrow

Why her
mother cries
and sobs
into the note she'd left behind
society does not answer
for it knows not of it's guilt

Kris

There are no precedents: You are the first You that ever was. ~ Christopher Morley

© Copyright 2000 warmhrt - All Rights Reserved
Flower Power
since 2000-07-26
Posts 29
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2000-11-27 03:14 PM

Kris,

A very touching poem.  I'm just not sure I like the references to society.  Society -- the word....it's supposed to explain everything, but what does it mean exactly.  More importantly, what do YOU mean by society?  These days, we can hardly write words like "love" and "soul" in our poetry because they've been overused and are very vague.  "Society" does the same thing for me.  I suppose that's all I really have to say.  But it's a wonderful poem otherwise.  

"Can anything be sadder than work unfinished? Yes: work never begun."
~Christina Rossetti

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2000-11-27 06:35 PM

Society, in this poem, as in usual context, is the world in which we live....the people, the media, the systems of justice, healthcare, politics, etc. One could possibly say it is the "atmosphere" in which we live. That is how I meant "society" to be percieved here.

Thanks for reading, and for your comments,

Kris

I am not a visionary ~ I am a practical idealist. ~ Gandhi

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2000-11-28 03:39 PM

Kris,

I'm a little puzzled here. As usual, I like the way you have put this together but it doesn't present anything I can personally get into, so to speak. It leaves a sad impression, perhaps of oppression or something along those lines (I'm sure that was your intent and you succeeded) but there isn't enough enlightenment for dense old me.

Pete

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2000-11-28 07:23 PM

Pete, dear sweet Pete,

You are not dense, in the least,   and no one with your wit and charm could ever be called old!

It could be perceived as any type of oppression...but, specifically, I'm referring to what is termed "mental illness", where that oppression may be a factor in one's decision not to go on. I'm afraid it is probably, once again, my tendency to be a bit too obscure.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment,

Kris < !signature-->

I am not a visionary ~ I am a practical idealist. ~ Gandhi

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 11-28-2000).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2000-11-29 09:30 AM

(Smacks the butt of his palm in an upward glancing blow to his forehead) Geez, I should know when you write that way it deals with mental illness. See, I already admitted that I am a little dense. As far as old, my little sister gave me a baseball cap the other day, it reads "OLD FART"    

Pete

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
6 posted 2000-12-01 12:41 PM

hi warmhrt,
i will just express my thoughts since i am no expert at poetry....  

i liked this poem and i liked the way you tied society with her demise?suicide? but somehow i like this poem to be further tightened....i mean

she pleads
she begs

she wails
she sobs

is kind of repetition and sounds almost "whiny"--i feel some readers may not give the poem the attention it deserves....

its probably just me though...sometimes you venture out into CA and you wonder whether the "flaws" you find are a subconscious tendency of you being overly fussy...HA!

thanx for the read  

[This message has been edited by kaile (edited 12-01-2000).]

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2000-12-01 12:00 PM

kaile,

Thanks for reading, and I agree, it may sound "whiny", but I think that is how someone in this state would sound. I'm glad you brought up society's part in this...though they are not directly responsible (the illness is), the pressure, the stress, and the attitudes cause stress which can bring about the symptoms. If society were more accepting and understanding, there would be less of this.

Thanks for your comments,
Kris

All good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings...~William Wordsworth

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Please.....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary