navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » In Evermore
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic In Evermore Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding

0 posted 2001-08-29 07:10 PM

First time I have ever shared anything I wrote. Please be honest in your critique. Thanks

A shattered heart lies on the shore
Amidst the dreams of Evermore
In Evermore, enchanted land
Where dreams build castles in the sand
Where fairies dance in night time play
And lovers always get their way
In Evermore where dreams come true
In Evermore, I still have you

Come follow me into this place
Feel Evermores warm sweet embrace
Where angels sing a haunting tune
In Evermore you love me too

Awaken to clear morning dew
That sparkles at the thought of you
And you my shining armoured Knight
Will save this maiden from her plight

Each morn you wake & kiss my lips
And trace them with your fingertips
You dream with me & hold me close
In Evermore, you're not a ghost

Please Evermore, I want to stay
And with the fairies dance & play
In Evermore I'm not alone
In Evermore you're coming home

Time stood still upon this land
Before you let go of my hand
My heart's no longer on this shore
Thrown to the seas of Nevemore

p.s. my other thought for the last line was
"It slowly drowned in Nevermore"
which do you think sounds better?

Thanks again for any replies

Oh no, here goes the "submit" button. should I? shouldn't I? should I?

© Copyright 2001 Tracey Skipp - All Rights Reserved
arthur
since 2001-08-14
Posts 678
england
1 posted 2001-08-30 11:47 AM

second go at posting a reply
i loved this
sort of dream world of perfection
a camelot
would such a world
didnt like the use of & instead of and
last line of first verse is ambigous
but that is nit picking
just liked it
but then i would

arthur
Rex

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2001-08-30 03:01 PM

Hi Tracey,

Welcome to Critical Analysis. It's great to have new talent. Check your email for a message.

Your poem read as a nice tribute to a lost loved one. Not so sugary sweet as to make uncomfortable reading but still not at all detached. Technically, your meter was quite good but at times your rhymes seemed a little forced. Not too bad but a little work could be done there. It seems to be generally accepted that writing rhyming couplets about a serious matter can be a real task. They too easily tend to fall into the "Cat In The Hat" style or something. You have done a respectable job of avoiding this pitfall. But some of your lines do have a "Hallmark" ring to them. finally, I felt that Evermore was a little overused. Now I understand that that was a central feature and it may be just me but it might work better (sound a little more serious) if you changed some of them.

Of course, this is all just one personal opinion, and not a well educated one at that.

All-in-all, a very nice first post. I hope to see a lot more of your work.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
3 posted 2001-08-30 08:24 PM

Thank you both for taking the time to write with your comments.

Arthur, I'm so glad you liked it. Yes it was written while mind was in a medieval land of fairies, knights etc. You're absolutely right about the & though, I was being lazy when I typed it.

Pete, thank you for the welcome & your observations. I know what you mean about the rhyme sometimes seeming forced - it's sometimes a bit of a struggle to overcome that.
I too wondered if I'd over used the Evermore, but after working on the poem for 2 days on and off, I was hearing the word in my sleep, so couldn't be objective about it!

Thanks again both of you for your words.

Tracey

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
4 posted 2001-08-30 09:28 PM

Tracey,

I think you have done very, very well. Personally I think you should post it in Open 15 - the general forum.  I think you'd have your ego lifted quite high.

Basically I love all the way through - terrific write.  You need to be a little more consistent in you puntuation (or however it's spelled) but very well done…post it as is.

I agree, with the preveious post…don't us "&"…use "and".

Your last couple of lines I'd do like so…

"My heart's no longer (of) this shore
  It slowly drowned in Nevermore.

I think that gives the end a better impact…but who am I to say…..also, I think this "fantasy" should have a "Hallmark" ring...after all, Falcor (sp?) would be there.

walk easy, and do post it in the open forum…I don't think you be disappointed - and slap my hand if it's already there and I missed it!

jwesley

[This message has been edited by jwesley (edited 08-31-2001).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2001-08-31 12:04 PM

SUBMIT...submit..submit. When in doubt, submit. (your poetry that is, not your soul)
OK, the only problem I had with this is not really much of a problem at all. EVERMORE evermore and again was starting to get on my nerves a little, but overall I am shouting from the rooftops YES! Be brave and post, and be even braver and edit and re-post. Midnitesun

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
6 posted 2001-08-31 07:33 AM

JWesley and Midnight Sun thank you so much for your comments. I may just rework it a bit and post it in the open forum soon. Never having shared anything I wrote before, I posted here to get some honest critique as to whether it was a worthwhile piece. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Tracey

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Tony Di Bart
since 2000-01-26
Posts 160
Toronto, Canada
7 posted 2001-09-04 09:51 PM

I must agree with everyone.  A nice simple, shakespearean like fantasy setting but do not use evermore, evermore.  Over done one that one word.

See ya

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » In Evermore

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary