navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Three Haiku
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Three Haiku Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2000-09-18 11:52 PM

I walk over rocks
And slip on moss; the river
Roars, a stone nudges.

Dragonflies in flight
From the stream; children searching
For drinking water.

Spectators have stopped
Today to see magic tricks
Magicians forgot.

© Copyright 2000 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

1 posted 2000-09-19 07:48 PM

The more I read haikus the more difficult I think it is to write them.  My favorite of these is the first.  The second is well-constructed in the sense you avoid unneccesary 'filler' syllables and articles of speech, but it's not as interesting as the first.  The third I think you should have left unposted.  Be looking forward to your next three.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2000-09-19 08:24 PM

I agree. Like many simple forms, they look easy but tough to get 'right'.

I laughed at your comment on the third one. Ironically, it's about writing.      

Brad

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
3 posted 2000-09-19 10:03 PM

I think I also agree that the first one is the best of the three.  Though I am just learning about Haiku, it seems from intuitive feeling that your first one is a prime example of what a Haiku is supposed to "do" with the reader.  Does that make sense?

I especially liked the contrast at the end where the river roars ...then like a whisper a stone nudges.  

This one actually put me right inside the imagry of walking along the stoney banks of a rushing river, the greens, the grays, the smells, the slip of wet boots all rushed in on me.  I guess I now get what you are saying about haiku... let the reader paint the picture, just supply the paint (and that paint has to be just right!)

I look forward to reading more of yours sometime.  And maybe I will venture to try more.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Three Haiku

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary