navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Storm (revision)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Storm (revision) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA

0 posted 2000-09-04 11:14 PM

Alright, here is the first revision.  Note, in the forth line of the fourth stanza, I use the words "Dort Hin."  They are german for "our there, or away."  Advice on ways to improve it are appreciated.

Storms are raging deep inside
With cataclysmic force, they destroy
Cant be running, no where to hide
Tossed like a kids favorite toy

Like a bird whose wings have been plucked
I try to keep aloft in the air of existence
But right to the ground I get sucked
Victim of life’s insistence

Forced to travel the muddy ground
I crawl my way on
Tethered but forward bound
I crawl my way on

I struggle towards my goal
Tempest contained within
The thunder pains role
My love lies Dort Hin

I creep through the fields of time
Each step that brings me closer
A wisecrack or cynic rhyme
Agitation inside getting wilder

Hand over fist I climb
Up the cliffs of forever
Covered in dirt and grime
I will give up never

She beckons in the distance
Lends me the strength to fight
Gives me the resistance
To which I hold on tight

She pulls me in
Shelter from the rain
Warms me with her skin
Takes away the pain

I awake within her folds
The storm just a nightmare
Light all the future holds
Life’s joys without care

© Copyright 2000 Keith W. Mullin - All Rights Reserved
Janie
since 2000-08-13
Posts 158

1 posted 2000-09-06 01:11 AM

Der Keit,

I read your first draft, though didn't comment as there were numerous suggestions, but even as I read this re-write I still have a few observations that haven't been mentioned.

Overall, I think it's good. I just have a few "minor" errors that have been repeated in this re-write.

(1.This verse needed apostrophes with the words "can't" and "kid's.")  

Storms are raging deep inside
With cataclysmic force, they destroy
Can't be running, no where to hide
Tossed like a kid's favorite toy

(2. I think closer/wilder is a little "weak" as a rhyme)

I creep through the fields of time
Each step that brings me closer
A wisecrack or cynic rhyme
Agitation inside getting wilder

(3.I don't have a prob with "climb"/"grime"; it rhymes when I say it. Does anyone have a rhyming dictionary to ck this one out?... I've become a little muddled during this critique and have had to check this rhyming stuff out. According to The Poet's Handbook, true rhyme is: one in which the first sounds of the last stressed syllables of the rhyming words are different and ALL subsequent sounds are the same...but then when considering monosyllabic, disyllabic, trisyllabic I guess the possibilities are endless and as I myself am trying to improve my rhyming technique, I'll leave yours alone until have better advise to give about such rhyme schemes)

Hand over fist I climb
Up the cliffs of forever
Covered in dirt and grime
I will give up never

Janie

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
2 posted 2000-09-07 12:17 PM

hi der keit

...this is only my opinion, it seems a tad intense to me, the man in the poem seems to be dug in too deep for his survival to depend on just one person, if it was loosened up a bit, not so dramatic, it might come across stronger  

...i like the theme, i like where your going with it, from a technical or mechanical point of view I know absolutely nothing LOL but you never know, if you give it a run through it may work  

debbie

debbie

Think of saying "I Love You" as always being overdue.
Love is a gift, not an obligation.
unknown

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
3 posted 2000-09-07 05:36 PM

Der Keit:

There are lot's of images here but no real pictures.  What (or who) exactly is the cause of the storm?  From what can you not hide?  You describe effects very well but I am left with a vague picture of causes. This leaves me with questions like: "Is she really worth it?" or "Is this person over-reacting?"  

Debbie (mysticharm) raises a good point with her observation of this being a bit on the melodramatic side.  You are describing powerful emotions but you haven't given the reader anything to latch onto.  This problem is exacerbated by your use of over-stated metaphors (puts the reader on guard and, if not handled properly, tends to be unsatisfying).

Foreign language use is also a sticky subject.  In this case, it seems as though you are using it to force the rhyme.  If I were you, I would go with an English equivalent (or near-equivalent) even if you must settle for a near-rhyme (like "dormant").

In my opinion, it is better to be specific rather than general and to understate rather than overstate.  

Just an opinion.  Habt und guten nacht (PA Dutch, not German, but close).

Jim

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
4 posted 2000-09-08 12:35 PM

First of all, thank you guys for taking the time to read and give me your advice for the poem.

Janie,

Little technical things like apostrophes are not my strong point, but they will be in the next revision.  (if I remember).  As for the rhyming, well, if I can come up with something better that fits with what I want to convey, I will put it in, but thanks for pointing them out.

Debbie,

I dont know what to say except that I will take it under advisement.  Im not sure how I can make it less intence, we'll see.

Jim,

The thought of expansion never realy crossed my mind, but now that you mention it, I can see where it needs it.  Hopefully in the next revision the answers to the first two questions will be answered.  As for the next two questions, she most certainly is, and probably.  The melodramatic issue is, once again, taken under advisement.  The foreign language thing has a special meaning to it, I dont expect anybody else to get it, but she will.  Guten nacht, Jim, du bist ein freundliches Typ.

Thanks again to the three of you for your advice.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Storm (revision)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary