navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Mermaid
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Mermaid Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Janie
since 2000-08-13
Posts 158

0 posted 2000-09-02 01:56 AM

The Mermaid
Written by Janie Mathis

Tepid water, bubbly sea
Tidal waves come crashing down
Careless slaps disturb the water
Little mermaid splash around
Draws a sip, little urchin,
Sucks the water in her mouth
Savage little Neptune’s daughter
Happy cries, her frolic’s bout
Rising up! Slimy monster
Waves her arms from North to South
Aboard she climbs a downy cloud
Leaves the drowning coast to drought
Quickly, rubber duck, swimming,
Surfs upon the whirlpool’s drain
Rides upon the Tempest’s fury
Sudden drops from motion, tame

< !signature-->

[This message has been edited by Janie (edited 09-02-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Janie - All Rights Reserved
JnR4eva
since 2000-08-07
Posts 377
Bronx, NY
1 posted 2000-09-02 01:30 PM

janie.....
this poem is good! i first read it and imagined an actual mermaid...but after a few reads, and a rubber duck, i finally got it LOL  ...wow a lot of symbolism you have here and the imagery is great, i mean, to me i think u did a great job of taking an everyday event (taking a bath in the eyes of a child) and making it into some REALLY good poetry  

i have but one qualm that i can see...i don't know too much about poetry per se but i did see this image u were trying to convey....

Rides upon the Tempest’s fury

for some reason when i think tempest i think storms and bad ones at that too...so to remain true to the symbolism here....i would consider the tempest to be the shower...yet it wasn't a shower that was taken, it was a bath.  so i think its that inconsistency which makes me a little bit confused when u say the tempest's fury....but then again it just might be ME???? lol please let me know what ur intentions are   for i might be all wrong
but once again lovely poem  
i enjoyed it a lot
much respect  

"my love is my motivation
my love is my inspiration
perception of this poem
is your interpretation"
-- rlt

Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
2 posted 2000-09-02 04:55 PM

Janie very nice mis-direction. I thought it was going to be some exotic Greek Gods flinging stones at each other. Instead just magic and innocence. Nicly done I enjoyed.

forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest Cain (edited 09-02-2000).]

Janie
since 2000-08-13
Posts 158

3 posted 2000-09-03 10:33 PM

JnR4eva and Eva,

Thanks for reading and I'm glad you liked it. JnR4eva, as for the tempest, don't know if it helps you to think of the tempest like this: you know little kids splash around in the water alot (this makes for the coast to be drowning while the tub suffers drought) but after a Very active bath, when the "monster" is removed, the water is still pretty active and swishing around a lot. This is where I'm coming from by using "tempest". Let me know though if you still think it misleading.

Janie

JnR4eva
since 2000-08-07
Posts 377
Bronx, NY
4 posted 2000-09-03 10:44 PM

persoanlly janie i think it's just me thinking tooooo literally..when u said tempest, i think storms...but i disregard other facets of a tempest, such as a violent waves and such....so with that said...keep it, it makes much sense  .
much respect

"my love is my motivation
my love is my inspiration
perception of this poem
is your interpretation"
-- rlt

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

5 posted 2000-09-05 08:01 AM

Janie,

Nice image, unexpected.  I thought the poem flowed (no pun intended) quite well.  I suggest putting a full stop at the end (you can't get a more tiny piece of criticism than that.)

-Tim

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2000-09-05 11:04 AM

Hi Janie,

I really enjoyed this one. I admit that my first reaction was "Oh not another mermaid peom." But it didn't take long to realize the real image and the sweetness you had written. Having had a little mermaid of my own and view this scene personally, I can attest that tempest is a perfect description.

Thanks for sharing,
Pete

Novacaine For The Soul
since 2000-05-26
Posts 122
New Orleans
7 posted 2000-09-05 10:38 PM

Yay!! (that's about all i think i'm going to say about this one... here, i'll say it again for good measure) Yay!!!

sincerely,
a sad tomato

So let us melt, and make no noise,
No tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move.

Janie
since 2000-08-13
Posts 158

8 posted 2000-09-05 11:41 PM

Tim, Pete and Sad Tomato

Thanks for you acknowledgements and comments. I wasn't expecting this to be received as well as it has been. It's the first piece I've written in meter without true rhyme but similar middle consonant sounds on every other line. There's probably a term for that, maybe someone can enlighten me?

And as Tim suggests, I'll end it as:
"Sudden stops from motion, tame"

Janie

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Mermaid

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary