navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Helping Hands (revision 1.1)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Helping Hands (revision 1.1) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA

0 posted 2000-09-01 12:55 PM

Here is the first revision, maybe the last, who knows.  Anyway, I hope I fixed most or at least some of the problems with the original.  What does everybody think.(to see the original, just look in the CA forum for "Helping Hands")

Life can be such a lonely place to live,
With no one there to help you through it all.
Joy shrivels until you have not to give
Heaped upon the ground, no will to stand tall.
Someones there, to take you from your despair
Your friends compassionate smile gives you cheer.
They are always there, to end your nightmare.
There can be no one else to you more dear
A pat on the back that gives to you reprieve
From pain, and sorrow, and darkness so deep
A kindly spirit that makes you believe,
In hope, as sorrows from your being seep
Life can be such a lonely place to live,
Without a special friend, their hand to give

© Copyright 2000 Keith W. Mullin - All Rights Reserved
JnR4eva
since 2000-08-07
Posts 377
Bronx, NY
1 posted 2000-09-01 09:55 PM

hey there.  In no way am I a critic per se, but someone to read a draft and lend some advice..yes... so with that said   ....

i have read ur first poem and i will basically sound like brad and not a poet when i say that i believe u need to tighten up with the imagery or, in fact center ur piece around a new theme...instead of being general as they have said make a situation where the reader can discern from the poem that this is a poem of true friendship, as opposed to u spelling it all out to the reader...like for instance...

Life can be such a lonely place to live
this tells the reader that life is lonely...ok cool, ...

Life, a barrenous desert of existence

this forces the reader to say, he's describing a vast emptiness...we can assume lonely or a lot of other things...but the point is that it makes for a better picture to the reader...(actually what i may have wrote may be cliched too or just plain silly lol but its just to show u what they( brad and not a poet) and I meant with the images ...u know?)
....u have some grammar mistakes  as well...but nothing to cry about and other than that the poem is cool and it's a nice form that u have put it in... sonnet form, but evoking images is what really is missing to some extent which could make it a better poem....but please this is only MY opinion...i may be wrong,
much respect to ur poem  
< !signature-->

"my love is my motivation
my love is my inspiration
perception of this poem
is your interpretation"
-- rlt

[This message has been edited by JnR4eva (edited 09-02-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Helping Hands (revision 1.1)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary