navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Cessation
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cessation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA

0 posted 2000-08-12 12:53 PM

What fuels this tired worn shell diminished
what force keeps it on track
Propelled on course as yet unfinished
though stroke draws muscle slack
Resistence to the under-current
continuing to strive
In face of such a strong deterrent
where comes will to survive
Un-bested by the elemental
full time's brought in to play
One must suspect the transcendental
determined souls obey
As mirrored by a sad reflection
to cease is not of their election

© Copyright 2000 William E.Kleist - All Rights Reserved
Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

1 posted 2000-08-12 02:27 PM

This is a nice sonnet!  My only observation: the last line is interesting to read, but contains only two real solid words -- cease and election.  Is that what you want?  I'm from the school that believes the last line should always be the strongest of the poem.  Nice read!
Coof
since 1999-11-27
Posts 7

2 posted 2000-08-12 06:19 PM

Hello Doc,

I liked your use of meter in this though I’ve a feeling you had a hard time keeping to it in this part:

‘In face of such a strong deterrent
where comes will to survive’

The trick of leaving out ‘the’ before ‘will’ has been well used and is quite legitimate, it just made me trip slightly on reading. That may of course be my failing as a reader rather than a misjudgment of the writer.  

If you do decide to re-visit the last line what about just adding an ‘s’ to election?

On the whole I thought this was solidly written and I enjoyed reading it , in fact reading it got me thinking, which inevitably leads to writing (two things I should avoid, as the following verse demonstrates).  

In lemming’s way this body shell
Seems bent to search or try
To find new ways to curse itself
Or old ways how to die

Thanks for the chance to read and reply.

Craig

Yes, I admit your general rule. That every poet is a fool:
But I myself may serve to show it. That every fool is not a poet.

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
3 posted 2000-08-13 06:16 PM

Marq,
Thanks for the R&R , as to the last line , I must agree with your assessment , however , given the context in which they are used ( which describes the halting of certain functions )I believe,as a whole ,the piece reads well as as written .It may skip a beat here or there ( as with the additional syllables )but yes that was my intent ,to try to incorporate such fluctuations into the theme .
Doc

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
4 posted 2000-08-13 06:29 PM

Craig ,
Glad you dropped in on this , your insight is always appreciated . Your points are well taken and not without merit , but as stated in my reply to Marq , a certain amount of delay , or skipped or missed beats were incorporated into this piece to try to emulate what I feel as I look on those whom stroke has impaired , yet still keep on going.The mind and body's will to survive is a very impressive thing indeed .
Doc

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2000-08-14 10:26 AM

Doc,

Interesting use of meter. I really like your choice of rhyming words, some unusual stuff there. There will, of course, be those who are appalled (sp) at the broken meter but I found it somewhat refreshing, particularly in light of your explanation.

This is also interesting as a contrast to my most recent, as you stated over there. I had not yet seen this one when I read your response to mine.

Thanks,
Pete

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Cessation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary