navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Fur Elyse (I just couldn't resist)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fur Elyse (I just couldn't resist) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA

0 posted 2000-07-25 10:04 AM

Right Triangle

That learned Greek, Pythagoras, declared
This basic rule of plane geometry,
The length of its hypoteneuse, when squared
(That learned Greek, Pythagoras, declared)
To sum of squares of other sides compared,
That absolutely equal they would be.
That learned Greek, Pythagoras, declared
This basic rule of plane geometry.

< !signature-->

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think
      Niels Bohr

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-25-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Pete Rawlings - All Rights Reserved
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
1 posted 2000-07-25 11:42 AM

GROOOOOOAAAAN ... the poem ..the poem .. wunnerful .. funny .. clever .. etc etc .... BUT ...... THE TITLE!!!!

omgggggg !!! how can you stoop so low? ..LOL      

can you ever forgive him elyse?      

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 07-25-2000).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2000-07-25 12:10 PM

Actually Philip, I meant that pretty much as a compliment. I mean, Mr. Beethoven was certainly one of the greatest and the subject (not the title) did loosely refer to one of his most popular pieces. I say loosely because of the misspellings. And in addition to all that, this poem was really her idea anyway. Or she at least planted the seed. Hmmm, maybe I should change the actual title  

All right then, what might be the next subject?     

OBTW Elyse, you do have a lovely name  

Pete

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-25-2000).]

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
3 posted 2000-07-25 01:24 PM

(yeah ..lol..i meant the subject ..the topic ...whatever ... i didn't even see the "title" ..lol ... and of course it was a compliment .. i wouldn't expect anything less from a gentleman such as yourself ~bow~)

actually pete i confess i was just jealous   ... both that tune (even if overexposed to public appreciation!), and the lady (even if underexposed to public adulation!   ) are doubtless quite beautiful .., and your clever double pun quite delighted me ...     

P

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 07-25-2000).]

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
4 posted 2000-07-25 05:21 PM

this is SO cute pete!  bravo i say! i am so flattered!    hey boys, do either of you play piano?  because i do, and you dont know how long i spent learning that song!     very cleverly done, sweet pete  
luv Elyse

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2000-07-25 05:49 PM

Wrong Elyse,

It is I who should be flattered that you approve of my little poem   And in fact I do play the piano a little although not particularly well. And yes, that is one that I play although I'm not sure Mr. B would agree    

Well Philip,

If we continue to show our nicer side, we may eventually win the lady over   and I'm pleased that you enjoyed the little pun.

Pete

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
6 posted 2000-07-25 10:03 PM

Pete:

I don't know what is flustering me more ... a poem about geometrical theorums or all of the shameless flirtations going on!    Glad to see you are all having fun with these triolet thingies ... you can certainly do quite a bit with them, as Pete has demonstrated again.

*Jim grits his teeth and finally, with Herculean effort forces his fingers to type ...*

Keep them coming, Pete.    

Jim

kris_aka_warmhrt
since 2000-07-25
Posts 15

7 posted 2000-07-25 11:52 PM

Hi Pete!

You sure are having a great time with these triolet things. You do a great job at them.
I absolutely hated geometry with as much passion as I loved art.
Hey...is there such a thing as a left triangle?

Kris

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
8 posted 2000-07-26 09:49 AM

Hey Kris,

Soooo goooood to hear from you again   I was beginning to fear you had left us forever   When will you start writing again? I hope you don't have the same opinion of my little poem as you have of geometry. While you're here, take a quick look at some of the triolets I posted in the last week relating to relativity   ~~embarrassed at making such a blatant request for readership but doing it anyway~~

Well, hope you plan to stay around, we really missed you.

Jim,

Flirtation, Yes. Shameless, I'm not so sure of that. But what can I say in our defense?    

Pete

kris_aka_warmhrt
since 2000-07-25
Posts 15

9 posted 2000-07-26 06:15 PM

Pete,

I've read your triolets, and I think they are absolutely the best I've ever seen (though they are also the only ones I've ever read, besides Jim's and Brad's, which were also good).  

It looks as if you are having a field day with them...they are fun to read, and you seem very adept at writing them. I still favor your sonnets, though.  

Kris

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
10 posted 2000-07-27 04:01 AM

yeah, pete is a master of forms    but why is everyone forgetting that i wrote a troilet too?????  (pout pout)  i worked very hard on that, and i know it wasnt that good, but still!   ok, im over that now.  what i would love to see from pete, is a poem in the mother of all forms - a sestina.  
luv Elyse

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
11 posted 2000-07-27 09:20 AM

Kris,

Thanks for reading and for your generous compliment. But in all fairness, Elyse did write an enjoyable one too so better read it   And, I hope to have a sonnet soon  

Elyse,

Check this link

Dialog With My Wife

But if you really want to be impressed, Skyfyre wrote 2 truly wonderful DOUBLE SESTINAS on a challenge from jbouder some months ago and only a few days apart!   I think they were both posted in Open but not sure which one.

Pete

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-27-2000).]

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
12 posted 2000-07-31 01:56 AM

This thread started about being cute and light hearted and ended into sestina challenges. Come on guys, I'm still half way through with mine (I don't even want to talk about a double sestina). If I ever finish it (maybe next year), I will post it - it should, I hope, raise a few eyebrows.

But in the mean time, can you guys just keep flirting - that doesn't make my stomack twist and turn.

Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Fur Elyse (I just couldn't resist)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary