navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Observation
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Observation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA

0 posted 2000-07-24 11:31 AM

Observation

While riding on a train, near speed of light,
This paradox at once became apparent,
A flash of light beside my rails of flight
(While riding on a train near speed of light)
Spread either way as quickly as it might,
As if the speed of light were law inherent.
While riding on a train, near speed of light
This paradox at once became apparent.

Pete

Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

© Copyright 2000 Pete Rawlings - All Rights Reserved
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
1 posted 2000-07-24 12:42 PM

"I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;"

...but can I understand a word of this poem? ... can i heck ....LOL  

you've finally flipped Pete, either that or been reading too much of my G & S!! ..lol ....

actually 'tis very clever I think ...  

p

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 07-24-2000).]

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
2 posted 2000-07-24 01:22 PM

I'm liking this recent series of yours very much, Pete.  I assume you have heard about the recent experiment where light was sent through a cesium-filled tube and arrived moments BEFORE it was sent.  The scientists think they have caused light to move about 300X faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. Makes my head hurt to think about it too much but your poem reminded me of that story.

I suspect the idea you are getting at here is that the flash of light SHOULD have appeared to be moving slower in the direction the train was going and much faster in every other direction but it didn't appear to happen this way.

Liked it, Pete.

Jim

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

3 posted 2000-07-24 10:53 PM

Pete,

I thought of the recent experiment Jim mentioned too.  Light moving faster than light speed.  Hmn.  
Now I've a propensity to be somewhat bumpkionish in all things mathematical or hard scientific so just ignore me if I don't make sense.  The idea of observing the movement of light visually is I think impossible.  Now I don't think in your poem your observation is meant in a 'visual'way  but it is described in a visual way.  Not necessarily to change, just something to look at.  Anyway, I do like this series of poems of yours.
-Ti,

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2000-07-25 09:36 AM

Philip,

Thanks for reading. In truth, the British can, with some effort, understand this poem. Remember it was Newton's theory which was finally not replaced but enhanced or extended by Einstein's relativity.

Jim,

Yes, I did read about the light in cesium experiment in the newspaper. I have to be a little skeptical of the way it was reported, " beam of light exited the chamber before it had finished entering." My first question is, how long was the beam of light?

And you are right on with your suspicion as to the meaning of the poem. Good job there.

Tim,

Thanks for reading and commenting. Now to contradict you a little bit here. Most of our personal observations of light are, by nature, visual. You're right though that measurements of the speed of light by visual means would be quite difficult, although I'm confident a suitable apparatus could be constructed.

Actually, this is pretty close to the way Prof. Einstein described his theory and its derivation in his little book for the masses, "Relativity: The Special and General Theory". Most of the Special Theory was explained by examples relating a "railway carriage" to its "embankment" and the differences in observing light visually from both. Of course, he had a whole book in which to elaborate while I was limited to just 8 lines (really only 5 unique lines).

Thanks all,
Pete

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-25-2000).]

pegasus111
Member Elite
since 2000-07-27
Posts 2219
ocala, fl, usa
5 posted 2000-07-27 02:13 PM

well, you certainly have shed new light on the subject.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2000-07-31 02:24 AM

Pete,
I liked the poem.

What was this about 300x the speed of light? I knew about the one that made an electron go  slightly faster than the speed of light but I never heard of this one.

Please enlighten me, guys.

Brad

PS Pete,
I liked your poem.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
7 posted 2000-07-31 09:58 AM

Brad,

There was a short blurb in the newspaper a couple of days before the poem (don't remember the exact date). I reported that some scientists had sent a laser light through a cesium gas (or plasma) and calculated that it traveled something like 310 times the speed it would have in a vacuum. The paper reported that it went so fast that it exited before it had finished entering. Now that's not a very specific claim as I am confident that I can shoot a stream of water through my garden hose and have it come out the other end even before it finished going in at my end   (nothing was said about the length of the laser light beam in the article)

There must be more to the claim but that's all I have seen to now. Then again, maybe there is some reason why nothing else has been said   Do I sound a little skeptical? Remember the professors a year or so ago who produced a sustained cold nuclear fusion?

Pete

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-31-2000).]

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

8 posted 2000-07-31 11:49 AM

Pete,

I enjoy these triolets, though physics, geometry, and the like are out of my range of interests. I am learning a tidbit here and there from them, though.

BTW, well-written verse...I'd say you are the master of the triolet.
Kris

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Observation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary