navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Relativity
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Relativity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA

0 posted 2000-07-20 12:18 PM

Relativity

If I travel quickly and return
With haste to where I started long ago,
What time will pass and what lies there to learn ...
If I travel quickly and return?
At lightning speed, I think the mind must yearn
To comprehend the facts I cannot know,
If I travel quickly and return
With haste to where I started long ago.

< !signature-->

Pete

Imagination is more important than knowledge
       Albert Einstein

Hey, Look #700  

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-20-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Pete Rawlings - All Rights Reserved
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
1 posted 2000-07-20 06:42 PM

I think the answer is M = mc squared...
A cute poem.  My idea of relativity is: If I leave the house for an extended amount of time, hopefully my inlaws wll be gone when I return.  I have no changes to suggest.  Bob <><

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

2 posted 2000-07-21 02:47 AM

Pete,

Just a little suggestion about the 3rd line.  To me 'what lies there to learn' sounded awkward.  To me, the line sounds longer than its ten syllables, which is accentuated by the '...' which I don't think is necessary here.  Just a little suggestion to consider.  As for the topic, I think astro-physics has a sublime aspect to it that makes it a somewhat haunting or at a least unsettling topic for poetry.
-Tim
-Tim

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2000-07-21 09:32 AM

Bob,

"My idea of relativity is: If I leave the house for an extended amount of time, hopefully my inlaws wll be gone when I return."
ROTFLMAO I like that a lot     Thanks for the laugh.

Tim,

Thanks for your input. The '...' probably isn't necessary but I put it there to emphasize that line 4 really is a continuation of line 3. Also, line 4 is missing its first syllable so the directed pause helps the flow a little. I don't know, maybe it doesn't work as I intended.

Thanks,
Pete

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
4 posted 2000-07-21 11:27 PM

hmmm.  because i liked the "what lies there to learn" very well, but thought the part about passed time, well, that it didnt really say much.  because, it seems to me a phrase like that suggests long lengths of time the speaker has passed through and not noticed, and the journey you're dealin with was short.  congrats on #700    be careful, or you'll find the big 1000 creepin up on ya when ya didnt notice  
luv Elyse

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
5 posted 2000-07-22 03:31 AM

pete-
i'm trying to understand this one.  it flows nicely, like something meant to be recited aloud.  the point is, what is the meaning of the several meanings possible here?
obviously you are contemplating the relativity of time.  i guess that i'm not deep enough to get this one.  maybe a little explanation is in order, or maybe i need a little sleep.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2000-07-24 09:50 AM

Elyse and Roxane,

Thanks for responding ladies. I'm sorry about the obscurity of this one. It is more or less a sequel to Curvature, this time dealing more specifically with the Theory of Relativity. I'll offer a very brief description of this particular aspect, for those who may be interested.

Basically, the theory states that time appears to run slower for a moving body than for a stationary one. And the slowing becomes mor pronounced as the relative speed increases, up to the speed of light. This is a gross simplification but hopefully sufficient for current purposes.

With this known, the journey may have been a long one indeed. The important thing is it must have been at very high speed. If so, then the elapsed time from my viewpoint will be different from yours as you awaited my return (I hope you waited   )

Well, again I apologize for writing something a little obscure. That's not my usual style but it just seemed to fit nicely with the triolet form. And, I apologize in advance for the next one   coming soon.

Thanks for reading
Pete

P.S. The real effort with this one was to try to minimize the effect of the repetition, primarily by making line 4 flow with the first three, then the last 4 to flow together. I hope it worked, at least to some extent.

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 07-24-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Relativity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary