navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » What Do You Fear? (revised)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Do You Fear? (revised) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada

0 posted 2000-07-13 12:16 PM

I tried doing it on a count of 8(my accent LOL)

What Do You Fear?

Do you harbor thoughts of violence...?
Dark shadows lurking within your mind...
Scrambled images that scare you silent...
Frightening nightmares of horrid crimes...

Are you repulsed by your own reflection...?
Does it reveal what you fear most...?
Embedded seeds of untethered evil...
Each undone act a haunting ghost...

Do you embrace the raging fury...?
Does your heart race with each detail...?
Terrified of colliding with your incubus...
Will you win or will the demon prevail...?

debbie

Think of saying "I Love You" as always being overdue.
Love is a gift, not an obligation.
unknown

© Copyright 2000 Debbie McLellan - All Rights Reserved
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
1 posted 2000-07-13 12:56 PM

k debbie ..this isn't quite there yet .. i'm not givin' up lol .. but i MUST stress that your poems are perfectly good without strict metrical patterns .. all this is a purely acedemic exercise really ...

for starters this is a recent thread in Q & A which is pretty interesting and relevant and features the all-knowing Nan, the unparalleled Doreen P and of course the Mistress of Free Verse her most regal self, Severn, ...   ... it's worth a read:
/pip/Forum13/HTML/000421.html

back soon

p

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
2 posted 2000-07-13 01:04 PM

I'm using this poem as an exercise to learn how to do the meter.

I'll check out the other poems but it would still help me greatly if you could tell me where I've made my mistakes. I'm not giving up either LOL

thanks philip  
debbie

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
3 posted 2000-07-13 01:09 PM

I'm going to ...I'm going to ... gimme half a chance ... LOL...  

i'm trying to run a business empire here at the same time as conduct a conversation with you ...

btw ... "Bonjour" ..although i guess its nearly lunchtime there ..

back shortly .. unless Elyse gets her act together first ..lol

p

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2000-07-13 01:12 PM

Hi Debbie,

It's obvious that you are serious about mastering this thing called meter. Well, like Philip, I have to produce some actual work for a while but I too will come back later and pitch in my 2 cents worth.

Later,
Pete

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
5 posted 2000-07-13 01:14 PM

On second thoughts if your still there .. tell me .. do you hear the rhythm of your first line:

DO-you/HAR-bour/THOUGHTS-of/VI-lence

DUM-da/DUM-da/DUM-da/DUM-da

do you hear that?

p

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 07-13-2000).]

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
6 posted 2000-07-13 01:29 PM

When you can clearly hear the rhythm of that first line, move on to the second:

"Dark shadows lurking within your mind"

now if you try and replicate that DUM-da pattern you should find it very hard ..

in fact can you tell me which syllables in that line it is most natural to stress???

p

(btw it occurs to me that if you have a French accent and French language inflexions that might very well be interfering with your ability to "hear" these patterns in English... lol... maybe we are trying to achieve the impossible here ..lol)

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
7 posted 2000-07-13 01:32 PM

I got the eight count but not with the emphasis on the same parts of the words as you did...

...I used the "Trochee" DUM da but obviously missed something along the way LOL

...the first and second line I did like this

DO/YOU/HAR bor/THOUGHTS/OF/VI O lence
DARK/SHA dows/LURK ing/WITH in/YOUR/MIND

don't give up on me yet    
debbie

[This message has been edited by mysticharm (edited 07-13-2000).]

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
8 posted 2000-07-13 01:36 PM

ok right now .. the problems (on meter) in the second line can easily be ironed out by simply rewriting it as:

"Darkness lurks within your mind"

DARK-ness/LURKS-with/IN-your/MIND

still predominantly DUM-da rhythm ...do you see?

p

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
9 posted 2000-07-13 01:39 PM

damn this is impossible ..lol maybe i need ICQ ...lol

write for me where you put the stress then please on both the first and second lines...use upper and lower case like i did...

(maybe its the word "violence" which can be three syllables?)

p

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
10 posted 2000-07-13 01:44 PM

"...the second line I did like this

DARK/SHA dows/LURK ing/WITH in/YOUR/MIND"

YAY ... pretty good debbie .. more or less as i read it .. although not sure about "within your" .. but it doesn't matter, the point is can you see you've lost the da-DUM rhythm??

what about the first line ..how do you read that?

p

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
11 posted 2000-07-13 01:49 PM

so.......:

taking the whole first stanza, this would produce a more regular meter:

"Do you harbor thoughts of violence...?
Darkness lurks within your mind...
Scrambled images that scare you ...
Fright'ning nightmares, horrid crimes.."

PARFAIT mon cherie!! (or whatever)..

p

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
12 posted 2000-07-13 01:51 PM

when I look at this its DUM DUM DUM da

I have no sense of beat in my head do I lol

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
13 posted 2000-07-13 01:55 PM

"DO/YOU/HAR bor/THOUGHTS/OF/VI O lence"

if you really do it like that i'm passing the baton to Elyse and Pete ... !!! lol

and anyway i have to go home ..lol

i think that you think you are stressing 4 syllables in a row but you can't be...   

c'mon brad we need that audio you mentioned months back !!!!

p

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
14 posted 2000-07-13 02:03 PM

"I'm using this poem as an exercise to learn how to do the meter.
I'll check out the other poems but it would still help me greatly if you could tell me where I've made my mistakes. I'm not giving up either LOL"

debbie

they weren't poems so much as a discussion on meter, free and blank verse .. if you haven't read it please go look .. 'tis interesting ....  

i think i'll call a halt right now ..lol

p

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
15 posted 2000-07-13 02:14 PM

thanks philip

I have to be at work myself in an hour, I'll have another go at it when I'm done  

merci
debbie

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
16 posted 2000-07-13 04:04 PM

goodness gracious!   it seems our little philip got a little post-happy there      

lemme see what i can add...

...the first and second line I did like this

DARK/SHA dows/LURK ing/WITH in/YOUR/MIND

ok, you're verrry close on the second line.  the way i make it out is

DARK SHA dows LUR KING with IN your MIND.  

now, its probably wrong to have both parts of lurking be stressed, but the way i say it, both syllables are equal. (help?)  also, i put my emphasis on the last part of "within" (which, you could easily change to just "in" if it helps)  and i cant even explain why "your" is unstressed and "mind" is.  

on the first line, i make it like this

DO you HAR bor THOUGHTS of VI o LENCE

just as a general rule, "of" is rarely a stressed word.  in poetry and otherwise.  and the "o" in violence is unstressed, you can tell because some people (like those that speak with an english accent) skip that syllable entirely, saying "vi'lence".  so there's that.  for the first four syllabes, try saying just those four. at first, it may seem like both syllables in front of "harbor" are stressed.  but try to notice how "you" drops off a little before "HAR"  can you hear it?  i know its hard.  

here's a bit o' practice.  read this, and then ill put the breakdown of how the meter is, and try to see if you can hear it as i wrote.  

now, this is Emily Dickinson, and i find her very hard to read because i hate all those flippin hyphens...but that's my problem.  philip already gave you a wonderful example of only iambs, lets see if you can handle this slightly more difficult structure.  (you can do it!    )

"47"

Heart!  We will forget him!
You and I -- tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave --
I will foret the light!

When you have done, pray tell me
That I may straight begin!
Haste! lest while you're lagging
I rememer him!

~
~
~
~
~
~

HEART!  we WILL for GET him!
YOU and I --to NIGHT!
you MAY for GET the WARMTH he GAVE
I will for GET the LIGHT!

WHEN you HAVE done, pray TELL me
that I may STRAIGHT be GIN
HASTE! lest WHILE you're LAG ging
I re MEM ber HIM!

ok?  i must admit, i am no longer quite sure about the rhythm after the comma on the first line of the second stanza, but that's my best guess.  hope this helps ya,
luv Elyse

[This message has been edited by Elyse (edited 07-13-2000).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
17 posted 2000-07-13 04:44 PM

Good example Elyse. But it looks like you missed line 1 of the second stanza. I think it should be,

when YOU have DONE, pray TELL me

Debbie,

This just has to be very hard for a French speaker. As has already been said, English appears to follow essentially NO rules, or logic either for that matter. As a derivative of Anglo-Saxon, it tends to stress the first syllable in most cases. But we have adopted so many words from French, Spanish and Italian that it is very difficult to know which is which. Also, many native words begin with "small syllables", which are more-or-less prefixes rather than part of the base word. Some examples are be, de, re, con, pro, in, ex, and many more. These are rarely, if ever, stressed.

PIP has an excellent writer, named Munda, who doesn't come into CA often but can be found in other forums. Her native language is Dutch but she writes exceptionally well in English. Now I think Dutch is closer to English than French is, as regards syllable stress. You might do well to contact her via email adn ask how she taught herself to write in a foreign language.

Well, what ever you do, don't give up. I'm sure we will all continue to help to the best of our abilities  

Pete

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
18 posted 2000-07-13 07:06 PM

Just to let you know that I read your response to my poem, I will attempt to reply using your poem post....

Let me also say as one novice to an other that I appreciate your asking questions, because it helps me to learn as well.

Though I don't understand meter, I will try the 8 syllable thing excluding the word vi-o-lence which makes no sense...

What Do I Fear? (using your poem)

Do I har-bor thoughts of vi-o-lence...?
Dark sha-dows lurk-ing in my mind...?
Im-ag-es that scare me sil-ent...?
Fright-ful night-mares of hor-rid crimes...?

Am I re-pulsed by re-flec-tion...?
Of rev-e-la-tions I fear most...?
Em-bed-ded seeds of gross e-vil...?
Un-done acts of a haunt-ing ghost...?

Do I em-brace rag-ing fur-ry...?
Does my heart race with each de-tail...?
Have I slept with my in-cu-bus...?
Will my de-mon drag me to hell...?

"In my soul there shines no rain-bow,
If eyes have no tears of re-gret..."
I guess the things that I fear most
Are the things which I can't for-get.

Thanks for the quote....  Bob <><

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
19 posted 2000-07-13 11:40 PM

yeah, i see your point pete.  you're right.  also, debbie, please  be aware that the word "i" is meant to be stressed at all times in this poem, it might be hard to tell considering the word is normally capitolized.   good luck with this.
luv Elyse

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
20 posted 2000-07-14 03:15 PM

~smiles softly~ thanks guys, everyone is being so helpful

...Pete I will see about getting in touch with the woman who is Dutch, Munda, although I do hesitate writing anyone at their personal email but appreciate the info   I won't give up, I'm too hard headed.

...Elyse you have been so helpful and I always value your opinion, I will take all the helpful info everyone has given me and see if any remains forged in my head  

...Bob, "The soul would have no rainbow, if the eyes had no tears of regrets" is to beautiful to change into something as negative as

"In my soul there shines no rain-bow,
If eyes have no tears of re-gret...
I guess the things that I fear most
Are the things which I can't for-get."

"Change is what happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater then the fear of letting go."

I don't want my poem being misinterpretated as something only in one person, we all face this demon, it's how we do it that counts.

I admit the count seems to fall into place but again that would depend on where I'm putting my emphasis lol

thanks bob

I WILL   get this right eventually, I just hope, until I do, I don't wear everyone's patience short  

merci
debbie

debbie

Think of saying "I Love You" as always being overdue.
Love is a gift, not an obligation.
unknown

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
21 posted 2000-07-14 03:56 PM

Debbie,

I wouldn't worry about contacting Munda. If you look in the Poetry Workshop, she has posted a response to a poem by Sudhir Iyer. Find her response and click on the little "envelope icon" right above it to get her email address and send a message. That's what those little things are there for. If she didn't want to receive email her address would not be available   Besides, she really is a sweetheart and I'm sure would want to help.

Pete

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » What Do You Fear? (revised)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary