navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Kiss
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Kiss Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia

0 posted 2001-08-20 02:02 PM

Now that this one has slipped to the nether pages of open and all the accolades have been acquired let's have a slice at this one:

The Kiss
© 2001 by Night Hawke(aka Local Rebel)

Thirty
silver pieces
is not reward enough
it's not the stuff
to raise the Cain
stone
it isn't this

No

It is the kiss
the kiss is sweet
upon my cheek
knowing that it veils
the complete contempt
that hides in your heart
behind words that
assuage, mitigate,
pacify and placate me
Judas,

Delilah;
My hair will grow back

No

I will not hunt you down
and eat you
yet
that is not
what makes you

sweat and toss
awake each night

It's almost,
almost flattery
you hate me so

I go on
I turn
my cheek again
to you

yes
kiss me first;
vengeance,
your reproof
comes without exertion
too

no matter what
you do

to me

you will always
just be

YOU

© Copyright 2001 Local Rebel - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2001-08-22 12:12 PM

This is something that really has to be read out loud,  I think- some of the biblical references lost me, but I'm also not very well versed on my bible stories...

'the kiss is sweet
upon my cheek
knowing that it veils
the complete contempt
that hides in your heart'

I thought these lines were the weakest in the poem- it's just sort of trying too hard, it could be said more concisely without changing the message, to improve flow- also the whole idea is a bit overused anyway.

'Delilah;
My hair will grow back

No

I will not hunt you down
and eat you
yet
that is not
what makes you

sweat and toss
awake each night

It's almost,
almost flattery
you hate me so'

This part is wonderful- just enough info to get the point slammed home, also has room to breathe and gives me time to think about what each image means.

I thought the all-caps YOU at the end was very corny. It would have shouted louder in small letters (to me, at least).

I'm sorry I'm not being more extensive, but I'm exhausted.

I eat only sleep and air -Nicole Blackman

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2001-08-22 12:49 PM

L.R.,

This is not almost flattery...it is pure flattery. I loved it...would not change a thing.

Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2001-08-22 12:55 PM

Thank you hush;

I appreciate your efforts here -- actually I thought that whole stroph was pretty weak -- I'm not sure I understand your comment 'over used' -- there are only three great themes in literature -- love, sex, and betrayal -- so could you elaborate.. also -- improvement suggestions would be intersting as well..

I justified that stroph in my mind by thinking of it as a bridge in a song -- but -- it still bothers me if it isn't read exactly right -- and out loud is best -- the reader needs to accelerate through that without taking a breath in order for it to get the effect it needs.

I tend to agree with the all caps comment -- I started off thinking I'd just leave off the last YOU all together.. but.. small letters may work as well --

again thanks..

And warmhart -- thank you too -- its always nice to have one appreciated -- and usually I rarely ever change one -- I just rack up some criticism so I can make the next one better.

Decaflame
since 2001-05-11
Posts 1635

4 posted 2001-08-22 01:05 PM

Aha...I've always had it backwards...get critiqued first and then open...

now I understand...open, THEN critique...

I learn something every day {grins}

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2001-08-22 02:23 PM

Complete contempt that hides in your heart doesn't cut it for me. It's a very familiar way of looking at the ambiguous nature of the relationship. I also disagree that those are the only themes in great literature... as for suggestions on improvement, I am, once again, exhausted, but I'll come back to this.

I eat only sleep and air -Nicole Blackman

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2001-08-23 04:09 PM

LR,

I agree with Hush on the all caps being corny and that those are not the only great themes in literature. But I don't agree on much else this time.

I thought the second stanza was pretty good, probably my favorite part of the whole piece. The reference to Delilah just didn't seem to fit though. I would have left all that out or made it a separate poem entirely. It could stand on it own although I still don't understand the "eat you" reference.

JMHO

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade
7 posted 2001-08-24 01:29 PM

Bible imagery usually sets alarm bells ringing as a lapsed catholic I have abused my fair share of bibical references in poetry.

However I found your approach refreshing, I have only read this once so to critique would be unfair, I enjoyed the read but I think mentioning more than one bible betrayal was unneccessary. If you expanded and focused more on the kiss that Judas gave Jesus. IT is a more potent image, and one of the most famous and powerful acts of betrayal in history. Just my thoughts

PoetasterD
since 2000-06-03
Posts 42
Florida
8 posted 2001-08-25 09:16 PM

LR,

I liked it! But I liked one of the lines in  one of your replys even beter,

"and usually I rarely ever change one -- I just rack up some criticism so I can make the next one better."

I feel the same way. If I right a poem and someone does not like it, and then I change it to make it the way that they think it should be........does it not then become their poem????? Or at least, a little less mine? When I write a poem, (which I havent done in over a year) it is because it has meaning to me. When I read someone else's work, I try to figure out what it means to them. I write poetry hoping that maybe someone else will enjoy it. I want to help the reader "feel" the emotions that inspired me to write it. But in the end, all that matters is that I like it.

Keep the verses flowing!

Poetaster D
PS) I'm still trying to figure out what it means to you  :-)

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2001-08-26 09:57 AM

C'mon, do you honestly think this is interesting? I know, I know, you can do better than this. I'll spend some time on this because I know you but not because this is good poetry - do you really want to end with YOU. Start writing Hollywood stuff.

Brad

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2001-08-26 10:17 AM

Brad, no really, tell me what you really think... don't hold back... lol... yeah the Cohen Brothers called just the other day.. hollywood-- what a concept.   (I have done better) the real interesting thing about this poem Brad is how many people have come forward to ask me if it was about them (I sent it out in e-mail to my general mailing list -- it wasn't to any of them) Human nature is always interesting to me

Decaflame:  um... ok... glad I could help

Pete; don't stress over 'eat you'  no hidden meanings there...just my own personal warning to people has always been 'I will hunt you down and eat you'-- thanks for the commentary.

CitizenX -- agreed the judas line is the main theme here -- but I thought it important to give the other images to the intended victim (er subject) of this poem -- this one is really not about poetry -- it's a message to an actual backstabber -- sort of my own 'hate you' hallmark to someone who doesn't know yet that I know that I've been backstabbed...

Poetaster -- glad you could appreciate my philosophy -- thanks for the commentary

Carolina
since 2001-08-17
Posts 224
Myrtle Beach, SC
11 posted 2001-08-26 05:22 PM

LR,
I too took this poem as a direct reference to me   but only the part about hunting me down and eating me.  One of the many reasons that I love to read your poetry is that it can mean so many different things.  I gave up three years ago on trying to "interpret" your poetry and you through your poetry.  I just sit back and enjoy the ride now.  You'll never see me critiquing you, only taking notes.  

Live today as if it's your last.  Love today as if it's your first.   Lisa

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
12 posted 2001-08-26 09:42 PM

oh no!! what the hell is doreen doing in the critique forum?

i'd never edit you.

ever.  

having a pome of the month written is a good thing.......almost more than mercury, this one's hot!! delilah, i'm not....

all that to say, don't change a word of it.....

just browsing today's topics, sweetWings.... and there you were....

suakmotl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Kiss

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary