navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Rebound Girl
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Rebound Girl Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC

0 posted 2000-06-21 07:22 AM

***PLEASE can someone suggest a better title?  i HATE this, but i cant think of anything else. (well, i could if i sat in my chair, thumped my forehead and went "think think think" but noone wants that   )

you run to her in my arms.
you cannot hold her there.

It's true our hair
shine a similar hue
our eyes an almost matching blue
but she is she and I am me
and I am not
what you are wanting.

Fool.  I thought I could
haul the logs alone
grab your spark
and keep a fire there.
I thought those were matches in your eyes.

But I mistook.
That look is not for me, your lips
part not to trap mine between
Who did you see when you
stared so long into my eyes?

I should have known.
But then, you hid
her pictures well.
I give them back.
I give you back.
to her.

Please,
seek your ghosts no longer
in my house.

[This message has been edited by Elyse (edited 06-21-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Elyse Wilcock - All Rights Reserved
Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
1 posted 2000-06-21 10:01 AM

Elyse what an idiot this guy is. You probablly intimidate him by your brilliance.
Ther are many men who value strong intelligent women. In the third to the last stanza did you mean you or your.
I`ll throw out a few titles
"Seperate pathways."
"Mirror Images."
"Iron Curtains."
"Rescue Work."
"You Can`t Kill Me Twice."
"I Am Alone."
"Concerning A Girl."
"Self Portrait Of The Other."
" Merely Here."
I doubt any of these will suit your purposes but I tried. Two other ones I just thought
of "Looking Glass"
and "Bitter Reflections"

Your true love waits and grieves for your love as much as you grieve for his.
You are the ELYSE DON`T FORGET THAT!!
The poet princess.

A Little Poem for Elyse

youth and innocence
a flower and a flower
behind a white picked fence.

forrest 2000

luv forrest
please feel free not to critique this one.
Also my deepest thanks for your critiques
and reading and commenting on eldridgejacksons poems.
Baby poets needs nurturing
and you done a fine job.

as always your greatest fan forrest

"Locked Out."
"Mirror Of Tomorrow."
"Whatever You Want,"
"After A Death."
"I sit by the window."

eldridgejackson
since 2000-04-30
Posts 91

2 posted 2000-06-21 10:13 AM

I enjoyed your poem. It really says it all. I have been there in love with someone who loved another. I trashed her and found someone who was in love with me. But the pain of hopeless love is a worthy emotion to review.

I wouold title it just "Rebound"

or "Flushing a big turd"

Nice work Elyse

Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
3 posted 2000-06-21 10:54 AM

Elyse again good write but have you ever noticed how me and my brother (James)
have such good taste in women.

luv Forrest

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
4 posted 2000-06-21 03:12 PM

forrest, you are so cute when you're in protection/damage control mode    however, this was a bit of dramatic monologe for me, (although i luved my poem  ) so you can stop worrying now.  but thanx for all the title suggestions.

thanx for the comments EJ, the flushing one is really growin on me, i wonder if i could get away with that  
luv Elyse

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
5 posted 2000-06-22 11:48 AM

hi elyse--

nice work here.  i loved the second stanza ("it's true..."), especially the first three lines there.  the last line of the next stanza ("i thought those were matches in your eyes") was pretty clever, nice play on "matches" there.  the line "i am not what you are wanting" i thought was pretty good, too, with "wanting" read as both desiring and lacking.  

i thought the giving back of the "pictures" was a bit off; i guess i don't see how the speaker can give back or return to the guy the guy's own images of the other girl.  i think i see what you are saying, i think; everything the guy gave to the speaker, affectionate looks, kisses, etc., were nothing but the guy's images of the other chick, and yeah, who wants that?  lol  the speaker doesn't want them anymore, so is giving them back, or rejecting them, ridding herself of the guy and everything they supposedly had together.  i guess i just think this could have been set up better, or perhaps nuanced with some recognition that, in a sense, the speaker may not have ever had anything at all.  i don't know, something to think about.  

i liked your stanza breaks and the opening of the middle stanzas with "fool," "but i mistook," and "i should have known;" nice use of repetition without being repetitive!

pretty good stuff as usual from you, elyse; thanks for sharing this with us!

jenni

p.s.:  i'm terrible with titles, but EJ's "flushing the big turd" does have its merits, lol.     

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
6 posted 2000-06-22 01:34 PM

Great work here!  I felt every painful moment...

I actually found myself feeling sorry for the guy... too easy to cast blame on the poor idiot for not realizing what he has and is throwing away, but there is a certain part of me that feels for this guy who is trapped in a prision from which he doesn't know he is in.

The pictures... I read it to mean that she found them in thier hiding place and decided that was the last straw, gave them back and bid adios to the big turd.

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
JP

"Everything is your own damn fault, if you are any good." E. Hemmingway

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
7 posted 2000-06-22 03:56 PM

hi jenni!  thanx for all the sweet things ya said.  you make a good point about the pictures.  they arent really the speaker's to give, but i suppose i was thinking about like JP said, she finds them and hands them to him or something.  it probably could be said better.

JP, did this come out as a that-guy-is-evil,bad,bad-lets-go-stone-him  poem?   it wasnt meant to.  she's more upset at herself, ....but there was just a humoungous clap of thunder, it sounded like a tree got hit not too far off, scared the bejeezus outta me, so im going now, be back later.

luv Elyse

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
8 posted 2000-06-22 09:12 PM

Elyse:

I enjoyed the poem and, like Jenni, especially liked the second stanza.  I don't think this came across as a "bash the bone-head guy" poem at all.  I do think that you did an excellent job of describing the feelings someone experiences in such a circumstance such as frustration and hurt.  

Nice work, Elyse.

Jim

P.S.  I think "Rebound Girl" is a fine title.

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 06-22-2000).]

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2000-06-23 04:32 AM

Elyse,
I liked 'Rebound Girl' as the title.

I hope I'm not overdoing it when I say that I think you can do much better than this. This is a whining poem but you never give us anything but a general idea of what actually happened.

I'd rewrite the whole thing starting with the  last stanza and expand on that metaphor. You are the ghost of what he really wants (not the most original idea in the world, I know, but think of the potential if done well.)  Second, I would intersperse this with some actual scenes, with the strain of trying to deal with the man -- show the man as well, don't just talk about him.

Just some ideas,
Brad

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
10 posted 2000-06-23 05:10 AM

thanx jim you big sweetie!  i do try.  however i stand by my previous assesment of that title as yucky and bad.    btw, Kris has been askin after you

awww brad, can't you jump on the cool-poem-Elyse bandwagon?    no, i realize many things could be improved but i never thougt it was a whiny poem!  sniff, sniff, i am hurt deeply by that comment bradley!    ill definitely play with what you suggested, (couldnt hurt)  and if i come up with somethin good it might (big maybe) show up here.  thanx for readin and commentin tho.

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
11 posted 2000-06-23 05:10 AM

thanx jim you big sweetie!  i do try.  however i stand by my previous assesment of that title as yucky and bad.    btw, Kris has been askin after you

awww brad, can't you jump on the cool-poem-Elyse bandwagon?    no, i realize many things could be improved but i never thougt it was a whiny poem!  sniff, sniff, i am hurt deeply by that comment bradley!    ill definitely play with what you suggested, (couldnt hurt)  and if i come up with somethin good it might (big maybe) show up here.  thanx for readin and commentin tho.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
12 posted 2000-06-23 05:41 AM

Oh my God, are you friends with Kris?  Do I have to go through the 'Bradley' crisis all over again.  

Such is the blight of an 'ley' name.    

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

13 posted 2000-06-23 07:14 AM

Elyse
Like lots of the other poems you have posted I like the personal simple style of this little lyric.  I also like the last line, with 'the house'
-tim

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
14 posted 2000-06-23 12:35 PM

Hi Elyse,

How did I miss this one? Actually, I thought I had already commented on it   I just came back today to see what new responses were here, only to discover that mine was not there. Oops.

Now for the title question. I don't see anything really wrong with "Rebound Girl" but, as has already been suggested, I think "Rebound" or Reflection" would work nicely. But, of course, "Flushing The Big Turd" does have a certain ring to it.

Well anyway, so much for my thoughts.

Pete

P.S. I enjoyed the read but, like Brad, I don't think it's your best. I didn't see it as whiney though.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Rebound Girl

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary