navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the migration of the birds III
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic the migration of the birds III Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

0 posted 2000-05-22 08:27 PM

Dipped you into my eyes
and pulled you
Into my hallucanegenic heart
Will you remember my part?

The coming night
   turned
Summer cold

We were born to die
and so grew old

How will we speak
when we forget
how to talk

We were free
before
we could walk

© Copyright 2000 rene - All Rights Reserved
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
1 posted 2000-05-23 10:31 AM

rene--

i found this one a little less satisfying than the previous two "migrations."  the rhyming and line breaks seem uneven here (although you may have intended that?), and the second, third, and fifth groupings of lines bordered on cliche, i thought.  on the other hand, "how will we speak when we forget how to talk" is as interesting and thought-provoking as any part of the three "migrations" you've posted here.  ("the migration of the birds II" is still my favorite, though.)  

in the third line, correct spelling is "hallucinogenic."

i like this series of poems.  are there any more?  the three here i think work nicely together, beginning/middle/end, birth/youth/adulthood, the constancy of change and cyclical nature of things, there are any number of ways to interpret them.  

very nice work here, fresh and original on the whole.  thanks for an interesting read!

jenni

rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

2 posted 2000-05-23 12:29 PM

thank you SO much. you cannot imagine the happiness i felt when i read, 'cyclic nature' in your reply. that is what its all about. thanks for the sppelling. yes the rhyme is meant to be stuttered, kind of like the surface of the earth- it looks round from space but at ground level it is bumpy and irregular.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
3 posted 2000-05-23 07:12 PM

the first stanza is really really effective, especially, "Dipped you into my eyes/ and pulled you"

for me, this was the most powerful of the 3 pieces.... every word, stanza, well placed... succinct

"How will we speak/when we forget/how to talk".... yes!!

thanks for the trilogy, rene... i'm a little at a loss as to how they tie together, but will go back and read all three again and i'm sure i'll figure it out

definitely, this last one feels like a resolution to something... even if it is the reality that whatever it is, didn't work

dp

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
4 posted 2000-05-26 12:13 PM

well! ^_^ I didn't see the connnection, i guess it takes a cetain angle of thinking, but u and jenni have explained it very well, thanx.. yeah, this one is not bad! ^_^
I love the first stanza, it is sure something!! ^_^ I must say though, there is not really a direct connection between stanzas, in this poem.. especially the first and second... this is probably the effect u wanted here, as u said it was meant to be "stuttered" just, not the sort of thing I usually like. It is well written though, and although not the usual style of poetry I like to read, a thoroughly enjoyable piece! ^_^

Lynne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the migration of the birds III

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary