navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the migration of the birds II
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic the migration of the birds II Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

0 posted 2000-05-21 08:04 PM

into the perimiter,
swallows flew
                         the marshes concealed by whispering reeds
they were thrown
leaping like children
                         lost in thoughts of far away lands

© Copyright 2000 rene - All Rights Reserved
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
1 posted 2000-05-22 11:16 PM

rene--

i thought this was really beautiful, very evocative.  your last three lines are great.  an interesting little piece; thanks for sharing it with us.

jenni

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
2 posted 2000-05-23 01:40 PM

Rene

I've got to admit i'm struggling a bit with your "migration of birds" series (always assuming it is a series). Individually the poems seem to say things (not quite sure just what exactly they yet...lol ..later on that!) but i'm having trouble seeing the possible links that jenni suggests in her critique on No.III.

Nevertheless this is my favourite of the three mainly for its simplicity and the accuracy with which it brings to mind swallows over the marshes.  "Evocative" sums it up well.

quote:
they were thrown
leaping like children

is such a graphic description of the way i've watched swallows in the heavy, still evening air of the Norfolk Broads diving through the mosquito swarms over the reed beds.

beautiful poem rene

Philip

PS small typo on "perimeter"    

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 05-23-2000).]

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
3 posted 2000-05-23 07:03 PM

before i reply, i made sure i didn't read any of the other replies this time... didn't want  them to influence me

ok.... first, i don't understand the deep indentation but i assume that's a technique to emphasize that line. i don't think it's really necessary, tho, because the middle line, "the marshes concealed by whispering reeds" would stand out and be effective without the indentation.. but... it's fine.. just never understood why people do that although i am a fan of e.e. cummings.... LOL

i like this #2 poem a lot....especially the line, "leaping like children"

i don't think the last line is necessary, but that's just me.

ok, now on to #3

*grin*
i'm having fun here in CA... LOL... enjoyed this piece

oh, and btw, do a spell check  

[This message has been edited by doreen peri (edited 05-23-2000).]

rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

4 posted 2000-05-23 08:15 PM

thankyou for your spelling corrections, i can't spell but i guess you knew the words anyway
Seoulman
since 2000-05-24
Posts 41

5 posted 2000-05-24 02:45 AM

Hi Rene,

have just read the second poem of your series and unfortunately struggled to see the link between one and two. I enjoyed the content in the second poem as it relates well with your title.

Will read the third soon!

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
6 posted 2000-05-24 02:59 AM

rene-
if i am wrong, please forgive me, but i detected a sense of offense on your part that i pointed out a spelling error. to be honest, i hadn't even read philip's response to you and didn't realize it had already been pointed out. spelling is part of it. didn't mean any offense. lots of people can't spell. that's why i suggested spellcheck. of course the word was understood. that's not the point.

again, meant no offense... i thought that's what this forum was all about. maybe i'll stick to Open.

be well ... i'll look forward to reading more of your quite creative work

rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

7 posted 2000-05-24 01:02 PM

doreen, no no no! i was not at all offended by people pointing out my spelling mistakes, i am sorry  if  i came off that way. i was just being honest really- i can't spell. i expect i could learn but people like me are selfish lazy and greedy!
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
8 posted 2000-05-24 07:17 PM

hi, rene... sorry i misunderstood... not your miscommunication, my misreading. Sometimes it's difficult to discern a whole lot from text, unfortunately... LOL... that's almost funny because this is a forum for trying to discern a whole lot from text.. *grin*

ah.. the ironies of life!

anyway... you don't have to learn be a great speller... that's why God created spellcheck

again, sorry for misunderstanding
doreen

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
9 posted 2000-05-25 11:51 PM

yeah I like this one a lot better than the first, (not saying the first is not GOOD.. hehe) is there, umm.. a connection of sorts between #1, #2 and #3? or... umm.. not.. ^_^ hehe, 'coz I can't seem to find one, just seems a little peculiar to me.. *_^
Well, this is a great description, lovely work rene! ^_^

Oh, one thing, the line

"Into the perimeter"

aah, does it fit? how can they fly into the perimeter? (perimeter - outer edge of a shape, length of this..) perhaps another word should be in place of this. *_^ Just a thought..

And writing

"swallows flew
the marshes concealed by whispering reeds
they were thrown.."

kinda suggests that it is the marshes being thrown, I guess that is y u used the indentation? but perhaps a little word re-arranging here wouldn't go amiss either. ^_^

great work rene

Lynne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the migration of the birds II

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary