navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the migration of the birds 1
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic the migration of the birds 1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

0 posted 2000-05-20 01:42 PM

hands cold as dawn again
molesting the grooves of my spine
fireflys boasted the night again
ugly and serene

lips full of lies again
red suffocating in the air

the revolt of the prisoners again
(they built a new society)

wounds as open as eyes again
purpose and the elite

mean nothing again

© Copyright 2000 rene - All Rights Reserved
Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
1 posted 2000-05-21 11:47 AM

hi rene! this is interesting, although i dont understand the "fireflies boasted the night again" line.  actually, i think you could take that stanza out, it doesnt seem to go with your other stanzas.  my favorite one is "lips full of lies again"    thats great. only other thing, i might change the progressive(ing) verbs in stanzas 1 and 3 to the more active present tense.  that's all i got  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then . . . . I contradict myself;
I am large . . . . I contain multitudes.
-Papa Walt

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
2 posted 2000-05-21 11:51 AM

hi rene!  this is interesting.  although, i dont understand the "fireflies boasted the night again" line.  actaully, i think you could cut that whole stanza, it doesnt really seem to go with the other ones.  my favorite line is "lips full of lies again"  its great    only other thing, you might consider changing the progressive(ing) verbs in stanzas 1 and 3 to the more active present tense.  well, that's all i got  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
-Papa Walt

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
3 posted 2000-05-21 11:54 AM

hi rene! this is interesting.  although, i dont understand the "flies boasted the night" line.  actually, i think you could cut that entire stanza, it doesnt seem to go with the rest of them.  my favorite line is "lips full fo lies again"    the only other thing, you might consider changing the progressive(ing) verbs in stanzas 1 and 3 to the more active present tense.  well, that's all from me  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
-Papa Walt

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
4 posted 2000-05-22 05:46 PM

ok, well, see what had happened was i would say to post one but it wouldnt show up when i scrolled back down the page.  sorry rene!
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
5 posted 2000-05-22 11:13 PM

rene--

this is a very interesting piece, sort of like a slow, mournful alto sax riff in a smokey jazz club.  i like elyse's suggestions on changing "molesting" to "molest" and "suffocating" to "suffocate".  

nice work!

jenni

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
6 posted 2000-05-23 06:57 PM

very interesting, yes! i agree with jenni... i really like the prisoners line and the line "ugly and serene"... it creates a sense of uncomfort, dualism...

now i'll read the other 2

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
7 posted 2000-05-24 04:42 AM

Well the title makes me want to think of a nature scene but the content of the poem seems to be one of a metaphorically described relationship. Migration of birds, the changing of people? Dunno you tell me. The only part I'm having trouble with if this is a poem about an unhealthy relationship is,

"the revolt of the prisoners again
(they built a new society)",

ant hill??

Kinda vague and only hints at things but I never felt "let in" on the poem. Descriptive enough to be interesting but vague enough to feel incomplete. I guess I'll have to read the others. Thanks for the read, take care,
Trevor

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
8 posted 2000-05-25 11:34 PM

Mmm, yeah I would have to agree with Trevor on this one, I am not sure what it is about, a little vague.. an interesting piece, and I think the words are well placed, describtive.. of what though? mm, i will read your other two now.. *_^

Lynne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the migration of the birds 1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary