navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Things that Fall Apart
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Things that Fall Apart Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas

0 posted 2000-05-15 07:50 PM

Things that Fall Apart
(for A, M, and that field next door)

Though the ghosts live
buried under the piles
of sand their mournful
cries are carried along
the deathly winds like
warnings or harbingers of
things soon to fall apart.

And at night when it's lonely
and the stars are upon the sky
I can hear their whispers
and I think back to the past.

Once long ago they played
baseball here in this field.
Not any old baseball though,
but the real kind of baseball,
with ghost runners and tennis balls.

Ghost runners,
they're all that run
these bases anymore.

Yeah, they used to play
baseball here but now
they've split it in two,
two very distant pieces
and I'm the only one left,
remembering games of baseball
and lamenting the things
that fall apart.

(written spontaneously for memories of times long ago and things that fall apart)

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
—Jack Kerouac

© Copyright 2000 Ryan Williams - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2000-05-16 01:08 AM

Ryan,
I really like the 'real baseball' part but that first two stanzas seems a bit overdone -- I'd say drop them and concentrate on the baseball scenes.

Brad

Oh yeah, and rewrite the 'Once long ago' part.

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
2 posted 2000-05-16 01:48 PM

Ryan,
Are you at all familiar with Achebe's novel Things Fall Apart?  I think it was from the 60's.  I just read it a couple months ago in a PostColonial literature class.  The title of your poem caught my eye for that reason (especially since you didn't capitalize "that").  You actually touch on a common theme in PostColonialist writing--that of the past, its ressurection, and reconstruction.  I was wondering if you did this on purpose?  It sort of works well in this poem because baseball is a part of American culture.  Let me know what you had in mind and if you are familiar with Achebe's work.

Kirk T Walker< !signature-->

Disclaimer: The preceding statement is just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Kirk T Walker (edited 05-16-2000).]

Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas
3 posted 2000-05-16 04:30 PM

Brad -- Yeah, if I can come up with something better for that intro, I will.  And the "once long ago" part could be a better lead in to a memory.  We'll see what happens if I get back to this one.  Thanks.

Kirk -- Yes, yes, I'm very familiar with "Things Fall Apart."  Had to read it earlier this year in English.  Not quite sure I had those lofty goals in mind when I started, but yeah, it does speak to those ideas.  The title didn't come to me until after the work, and actually, that isn't capitalized only because I didn't like how it looked when it was capital.  That's me.  *grins*  Thanks for the thoughts though, they give me some good insight.

Ryan

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
—Jack Kerouac

Lonelypoet
since 2000-05-10
Posts 123
Conklin,NY,USA
4 posted 2000-05-17 09:17 PM

Ryan,
Good poem my friend though it did go over my head alittle.

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
5 posted 2000-05-18 04:28 AM

Ryan,
  You've dazzled me once again. I really dug this offering cat. The imagery, flow, and meaning all really come together on this one; keep up the good work.
                        J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
6 posted 2000-05-18 07:38 PM

ryan--

i liked this piece, you really establish mood here very effectively.  

i thought perhaps you could pare out some of the smaller words, but that's a stylistic thing, i guess, and a matter of taste.  one thing that did confuse me was the splitting of the field into "two very distant pieces;" just how does one split a field and move the pieces far away from each other?  

and i guess i disagree with brad; i see what he's saying about the first two stanzas, but i like them.  i do think, perhaps, you could lose the line "and i think back to the past" without losing any of the poem.  

nice job.  thanks for sharing it with us.

jenni

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
7 posted 2000-05-19 12:32 PM

hey you!! ready to graduate???

you done outdone yourself here, ryan... nicely written (saw it at the scroll... don't remember if i responded over there)

nice to see you again, m'friend... now go to college and major in something that's going to make you boatloads of money... like creative writing... hehe  

(hey... if there were good money in creative writing, i'd hope that was your major, for sure.. you always have been pretty darned good, y'know? )

-doreen

Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas
8 posted 2000-05-21 01:09 AM

How do they split a field in two?  They build an ugly storm drainage ditch in the middle of it.  I guess that "distant" is just relative to the idea of little kids.

Hey Doreen, hell (i wonder if that word will get posted) yes I'm ready to graduate.  Last day of school was Friday.  Graduation is Tuesday.  I think (except for sleeping), I've been home maybe an hour since Friday morning.  Oh well, works for me.

Okay, well, thanks for all the responses.  I do wonder what I'll do to this one when/if I get back to it.  It's quite an interesting one for me.  I'm outta here now.  See you guys later.

Ryan

—Jack Kerouac

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Things that Fall Apart

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary