navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sharp
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sharp Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC

0 posted 2000-05-11 11:47 PM

Crisp
Events oft remembered
Focused
high definition

Spiky
new bought razor
rusty nail
pelting hail

harsh angle
piercing shriek
tattered fingernail
Starkly rough.

ok, so i know its bad to post 2 at once, but these kinda go together.  i wrote "soft" first, and did
"sharp" to match.  these are really different for me, so id love to know what y'all think.  thanx!  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then . . . . I contradict myself;
I am large . . . . I contain multitudes.
-Papa Walt

© Copyright 2000 Elyse Wilcock - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2000-05-12 04:02 AM

Yeah, I see the same problem here. With such a minimalist approach, I think you've got to find the words that sound sharp rather than words just associated with sharp.  The thing has got to leap up and bite me in order for this style to work.  It's a tough goal you've set for yourself here.

Brad

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

2 posted 2000-05-12 04:06 AM

Hi Elyse

I like the short imagist style of these poems as evokations of memory.  A suggestion is to try and keep the clear image you are trying to evoke in mind and not divert from it eg 'oft remembered' seems innappropriate to me in the "Sharp" poem.  I like the title "Soft" and its images, particularly pillow/
curtains billow.  I'd remove one or two words like 'sugar,' the other images are clear enough without such an addition.  But overall good work!
-Tim

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
3 posted 2000-05-12 08:25 PM

ok, yeah, i see that some of these words could be sharper.  i hear ya on the remembering thing tim.   ok, good stuff to think about  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
-Papa Walt

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2000-05-13 06:47 PM

Elyse,

I echo Tim's words. I know these are difficult (I've tried with little success), but I think you are well on your way. It takes practice, I suppose, when one attempts a new form. I know with your talent that you'll be churning minimalist poems out in no time.

Kris

the poet's pen...gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name ~ Shakespeare

Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
5 posted 2000-05-14 01:52 PM

Hey Elyse don`t make those words to sharp
you could puncture a lung or even worse a heart. Seriously I`am in awe of your talent.
And look forward to anything you write.

Your biggest fan
forrest

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
6 posted 2000-05-14 06:48 PM

awww, Kris said i had talent    and so did Forrest!  my head is getting so big i think ill just rest it on my shoulder now.    i love you people  

Do I contradict myself?
-Papa Walt

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sharp

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary