navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Poet's Lament
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poet's Lament Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC

0 posted 2000-05-05 12:47 PM

I can make a poem about my forest
But I can never make you really see it.
I can tell of the trunks leaned back
in lamentation, with their bony,
brittle, matriarcal branches bent
covering their grief torn faces.
or of the thick strapping oaks
spreading thier arms stoicly
over the heads of the young saplings
of wiry, scrappy pines,
depressed and droopy dogwoods,
or silent sleepy willows.

But you will never See it.
Even if I were a skilled painter
with an angel on each shoulder
and a blessing in my brush
I couldn't show it to you
Really.

for my forest is not a poem
not a painting - just trees.
Not seen with eyes it is
not Known.  and All I could ever
give is the reflection of a forest
cast muddily
in the dingy mirror
of me.< !signature-->

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then . . . . I contradict myself;
I am large . . . . I contain multitudes.

-Papa Walt

[This message has been edited by Elyse (edited 05-05-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Elyse Wilcock - All Rights Reserved
Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
1 posted 2000-05-05 03:08 AM

Elyse you may have an uncharted wilderness
inside of you but everytime you do your
poetic striptease you show us a little more
of who you are. I dare say if I had a flash-
light I could find my way quite comfortably
through the paths of your forest. Let me
see you are peaceful but strong, comfortable
with your opinions and unafraid to speak
your mind. I would guess passionate but not
in love. Very nice work and beyond saying I
like it I can`t give you much critique.
Though I really liked an angel on each
shoulder and a blessing in my brush. Excellent stuff and as usual far ranging
topics.

your biggest fan
forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest Cain (edited 05-05-2000).]

bboog
since 2000-02-29
Posts 303
Valencia, California
2 posted 2000-05-05 09:21 PM

Elyse~
I knew Forrest would like this poem. (grin) Nice poem, though I must admit the last stanza seemed a little odd (to me) when I first read it. Here's my beef. These lines.

Not seen with eyes it is
cast muddily
in the dingy mirror
of me.

Here we (the viewer/reader) are told the forest is not easy to describe. "Not seen with eyes" and it is "not known". But let's suppose that you were trying to say, that the forest equals a temporary depression.
     You are saying that a viewer wouldn't know anything about your depression or how you feel.
    The flaw to your thinking is that maybe we can. I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps

Not seen with my eyes
but yet well Known. and All I can give

E~ you may want to keep your poem the way it is. All I'm trying to point out is that others may be able to see your forest quite easily. Yet you don't know what you look like unless you check out a mirror.
Don't know if this makes sense to you, but I gotta run.
best regards,
bboog  

Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

3 posted 2000-05-05 10:56 PM

I liked the alliteration, but I didn't like the 'it's.  I thought you showed a nice touch despite the typos etc.  
Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
4 posted 2000-05-06 01:49 PM

ive never had a biggest fan before.  this is way cool    BTW forrest, all that stuff you said was right, although, im not too sure about "peaceful".  im certainly not quiet.

bboog, lemme tell you what i was thinking with this poem.  it was that predusk time where the sun has set but there's still plenty of light, so everything seems to stand out clearer absent the galre of the sun.  i was sitting on the front porch looking at the trees (at this point i should tell you that i live way way in the boonies of NC, and, incidentally, in the forest) and i got this thought that no matter how hard i tried, i could never really show what i saw.  you would only get an impression of it, not the actual impact of them as i saw them.  so the obvious thing to do was to write a poem about how inadequate it is to write poems about trees.  

hey, thanx for the comment marq.  although, i need a pronoun, which do you think i should use instead?

Do I contradict myself?

-Papa Walt

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
5 posted 2000-05-09 02:36 AM

Hello Elyse,

Wonderful poem.

"I can make a poem about my forest
in lamentation, with their bony,
brittle, matriarcal branches bent
covering their grief torn faces.
or of the thick strapping oaks
spreading thier arms stoicly
over the heads of the young saplings
of wiry, scrappy pines,
or silent sleepy willows."

I thought this to be very tight and solid giving the reader a lot of imagery to work with.

"But you will never See it.
Really."

Thought this was good as well however consider not capitalizing "See" and omitting "Really" and the end. Both seemed unnecessary and the meaning seemed to come through without "Really".

"for my forest is not a poem
Not seen with eyes it is
cast muddily
in the dingy mirror
of me."

Excellent ending, really liked it and I thought you captured well the frustration a writer can feel trying to convey the world as they see it to others and knowing that they will never do true justice to it. One suggestion I have is losing the capitalization in the "Known" and "All"...where you going for double meanings with this? Maybe even change "not Known" to unknown (which you probably already thought about doing).

A very good poem, I really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing it, take care,
Trevor

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

6 posted 2000-05-09 03:42 AM

Hi Elyse

Ineluctable modality of the visable.  Nice poem!  It reminds me of something JP Sartre once wrote about, you can make a statue and then put it in a gallery or throw it in a bin, but you could never finish it.  So with your forrest you can hold a mirror up to it, but it is the reader of your poem that the forrest comes alive, the reader builds your forrest out of air, thin air.
Keep up the good work

-Tim

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
7 posted 2000-05-09 10:57 AM

elyse--

a very nice piece!  although i think you're too hard on yourself with the word "dingy," lol, you paint a pretty vivid word-picture even when you're writing about how an artist can only imperfectly reflect reality.  

one thing to think about in this poem?  especially in the first stanza after the first two lines, you might improve the flow a bit by getting rid of some unnecessary words, pronouns, articles, and prepositions.  

i'd also think about deleting the last two lines of the short middle stanza, putting a semi-colon after "brush," and combining the stanza with the third.  i agree with trevor about maybe not capitalizing "known" and "all".  

just some thoughts, lol.  very nice work, elyse, thanks for sharing it with us.

jenni

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
8 posted 2000-05-09 09:24 PM

ok, im with you on the caps, and OH!  now i see what y'all mean about the pronouns. you're so right!  thanx marq and jenni    aww tim, trevor, you're too sweet to me.  although, im kinda attached to my "Really"  thankyou all soooo much for the comments (and the praise - just cant get enough     )

luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
-Papa Walt

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
9 posted 2000-05-29 11:55 AM

i actually thought this was another poem about Writer's Block and was thrilled to read this--another realistic problem that all poets face when they write...

I often feel that way myself personally...sometimes i despair on writing becos as i believe "Seeing is Believing", no matter how vividly the images i create in my poem, the reader has to be there to experience the magnitude of swirling emotions i had felt then...this is made worse by my limited skills as a poet...LOL

thanx for sharing this... i enjoyed

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
10 posted 2000-05-29 12:58 PM

I also thought this poem was about writers block and the frustrations involved with trying to get your message out in a way that others can understand.

"But you will never See it.
Really."

As a new writer, I often have difficulty finding the right words to express my feelings about something that has motivated me to write about it.

I'm not very good with literary criticism, still learning, but really enjoyed your poem!

Debbie

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
11 posted 2000-05-29 06:17 PM

aww, thanxz chickies!  although, the poem has undergone a few small changes since first posted ( i should really think about using that edit button, huh?  )  but anyway i thank you for your kind comments, as i will never get enough of those  
luv Elyse, shameless praise seeker

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
12 posted 2000-05-30 01:50 PM

Elyse

I thought I'd commented on this poem .. but I hadn't it seems, so it's just as well it came back to the top again otherwise I wouldn't have had the opportunity of congratulating you on a very very fine job.  As it happens I'm in love with trees and forest so perhaps it's not surprising I liked it, but even so the first stanza especially is quite excellent ..

I'm about to do something I kind of swore I'd never do which is tamper directly with someone elses poem ... I certainly don't want to presume to try and rewrite this, but I agree strongly with jenni's point about the, perhaps unnecessary, words in the first stanza .. so I thought I'd take a few out and see what it looked like .....lol:

in lamentation, with bony,
brittle, matriarchal branches bent
covering grief torn faces.
of thick strapping oaks
spreading arms stoicly
over the heads of young saplings.
of wiry, scrappy pines,

The other point jenni mention in relation to rearranging the stanzas is perhaps a good suggestion but i also thought maybe if you wanted (as you appear to do !!...LOL) to keep the lines in question you might actually break up the poem more to emphasise them and provide longer pauses .. sort of slowing the whole thing down..... so:

in lamentation, with bony,
brittle, matriarchal branches bent
covering grief torn faces.
of thick strapping oaks
spreading arms stoicly
over the heads of young saplings.
of wiry, scrappy pines,

But you will never see it.

really.

for my forest is not a poem
not seen with eyes it is
not known. and all I could ever
cast muddily
in the dingy mirror

of me.

........ oh well ......lol.....just suggestions ... never was much good at making excellent poems better LOL..... btw congrats on the graduation as well..

Philip

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 05-30-2000).]

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
13 posted 2000-05-31 12:50 PM

thanx for the reply phillip!  like i said before, i went ahead and made a bunch of the changes suggested (ok, so not a bunch, but some)  and my first stanza already looked the way you suggested.  that edit button is, apparantly, way too much of a hassle for me.   im still toying with jenni's suggestion for smooshing the two stanzas together, im not sure how i feel about it.  (see, cuz it may just be a crafty plan to wrestle away my "really"s from me, and im not havin that!  )  anyway, thanx for all the sweet things you said,  i love trees too, comes with livin in the forrest i guess  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
-Papa Walt

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
14 posted 2000-05-31 01:34 AM

Elyse,
I'll try to get back to this poem.

Philip,
Notice how she added an 'l' to your name. Maybe you should just change it -- stop trying to fight the rising tide.

It's just nice to know that I'm not alone with my 'problem'.

Brad

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
15 posted 2000-05-31 10:14 AM

heh heh ... which of the myriad would that be Brad ?  

dontcha know a lady is always right .. lol..(i learned that from jenni btw .. )

phiLip

(..and to elyse phillip  )

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
16 posted 2000-05-31 04:09 PM

sorry philip!  ill be more observant next time.  hopefully no other stray letters will appear in your name either.  (i am the typo queen  )
luv Elyse

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
17 posted 2000-05-31 05:39 PM

elyse

~smile~ don't worry no problemo .. i'm getting kinda used to it ... i mean i'd take our revered moderator's advice and add another except i just know they'll all start using one then .. so what the 'eck one el or two ell's or more who the 'ell cares ...     

philllllllllip

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Poet's Lament

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary