navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Bethlehem
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bethlehem Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas

0 posted 2000-04-13 10:59 PM

Bethlehem

These nights are the longest,
cold with sorrow and lined
with empty truths.

Before the sun comes
down upon the sea,
a king will meet his
father in a growing dusk,
and everything will be
as it was,

but two thousand more
souls have seen if
their truths were lies.

The tides will still come
to wash away innocent kingdoms
and the cars that came will go.

And nothing will have really changed.

She came to him, wanting to
count the days and months
remaining before her,
so he lay the cards on
the table.  They spelled
out a future, visible
but hidden, like Eliot,
in the words of birds
that do not fly
and cannot sing
and will not speak,
but only write of truths,
and lies.

He would not speak,
so she called him a Godsend,
and only he knew a truth.

Before the sun comes
down upon the sea,
a king will meet his
father in a growing dusk,
and in a desert manger,
far away, a baby will cry,
and under the neon sky,
two thousand more will die.

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
—Jack Kerouac

© Copyright 2000 Ryan Williams - All Rights Reserved
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
1 posted 2000-04-14 03:26 AM

Ryan,
  I have not a clue about the idea behind this poem. I can't really tell what it is about, I have read it again and again. And that is precisely the reason that I think it is the best poem I have read in a long, long time. The opaqueness of it, the ambiguity is what really mesmerised me on the first read. I can picture a hundred different images all simultaneously...Good show poet!!!
                       J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
2 posted 2000-04-15 12:09 PM

Hmmm....a poem about nothing (as near as I can tell--can you rectify that thought process?) that holds a mood that I can't explain all the way through it.  Nice.

Wait...foolish Shaman...this is a story about pre-Jesus Bethlehem, the two-thousand souls are years...well, that's part of it.  Explain yourself, poet.  I only maybe get a portion of it.

Wordshaman

There is no Devil.
Just God when He drinks.

--Tom Waits

bboog
since 2000-02-29
Posts 303
Valencia, California
3 posted 2000-04-15 07:06 PM

Ry~
I admit that I didn't really understand this one. You've got some good ideas, (I think) placing Biblical allusions amid modern images. My suggestion would be to make this poem a little less vague.
best regards,
bboog

Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas
4 posted 2000-04-15 11:07 PM

Explain, wouldn't that take all the fun out of it?  lol  Well, essentially, the poem consists of my thoughts on the impact/importance of the birth/second coming of Jesus in modern times.  In addition, the two stanzas dealing with the "fortune teller" (which, btw, I got the idea of from Eliot's "The Wasteland"...that's why I mention him there) are there to suggest that perhaps 2000 years have added a bit to Jesus's reputation.  

Ryan

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
—Jack Kerouac

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
5 posted 2000-04-16 04:10 PM

incredibly intriguing.  yeah, dont explain it, half the fun is in the interpretation    i thought it had a lovely flow, and some great images.  just nice. =)
luv Elyse

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Bethlehem

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary