navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » my first hiaku-do comment:)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic my first hiaku-do comment:) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2000-03-04 12:25 PM

Composing

My pen on my lips
My face scowling in a frown
Will i ever write?

© Copyright 2000 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-03-04 10:21 PM

Kaile:

Excellent work here.  Haiku generally have a natural theme with a philosophical application.  There are poems with a similar format that have the philosophical application but not the natural theme but I can't remember if they are called "tanka" or "senryu".  Anyway, from one pen-gnaw-er to another, good job.

Jim

kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
2 posted 2000-03-05 05:16 AM

thank you,jim for commenting.having been introduced to haiku,i find it so interesting.it seems so simple yet you must be an accomplished writer to be able to write at all!!!Agreed? ")

anyway,here's my 2nd haiku

Our Sun

Stare in awe at it~
Lies majestic in all glory!
Warms the hearts of all.

incidentally,i will love to see you guys showing me some of your haiku attempts(if any)so that i can grow as a writer ")

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2000-03-06 03:20 PM

Hi Kaile,

I'm not much of a fan of haiku, can't seem to find much reason for it (ducking now all those harsh stares and even some ballistic objects) but I liked your first one. I guess Jim is right about the theme but this was just catchy   It looks like the second is an appropriate theme (and for some reason it also catches my eye) but isn't that an extra syllable in the second line?

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
for the mere enunciation of my theme?
Edgar Allan Poe

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

4 posted 2000-03-06 03:33 PM

You've got the form right (though there is that extra syllable in the second haiku.)  Next dimension, as Jim suggests, is to make use of nature.  The original haiku works largely through intimating the parallels between man and nature.  So I can imagine a Tokugawa poet writing

My pen will not move
The ice on the window pane
When will it melt?

thus tying the log-jam (oops, another metaphor) of the poet's thoughts to the persistance of frozen winter.

Here's one of mine.  I was at a lecture on Japanese stone gardens, where the lecturer said that the greatest art was to make it look as if it wasn't art, but all natural.  So I came up with

mountains heaped pell-mell
                         all trace of the gardener
                         carefully concealed.

Diana B
since 2000-03-10
Posts 97

5 posted 2000-03-11 01:29 PM

Haiku to me is an unexplored mystery...just the perfect combination of words to make an idea stand up and take notice...glad someone is exploring this form...
kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
6 posted 2000-03-12 08:09 AM

thank you guys for reading this...yes...there is that extra syllable...i was too dense to notice it

thank you Ted for your forthright comments and improving upon my Haiku.Hmmm...looks like i have a long way to go...

your haiku was excellent!!i like the idea behind it too!!i will try to write one of mine using this idea though i won't know how long it will take...HA!!! ^.^

pls share with me some more of your haiku

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
7 posted 2000-03-12 09:36 AM

You know, there is an argument that because of the radical difference between Japanese and English, the haiku movement should actually be something like twelve syllables, not the original seventeen. Now, I don't know if there's is any real logical background for this shift but I have read many of the modified haiku and they do seem to be more visually effective.

By the way, for those of you who know him, fiesty Bob brought this information my way.

Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » my first hiaku-do comment:)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary