navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Delicate balance
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Delicate balance Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
mister61
since 1999-08-12
Posts 41
bergen county, nj

0 posted 2000-02-15 03:35 PM

Seldom seen
The two in love
Together in time
So far from today

Often heard
Words of desire
Trading on tortures
So long in reserve

Always aware
The distance thrives
Feeding on feelings
Of depths unfulfilled

Never enough
The time is spent
Reaching for rainbows
In the wake of a storm

© Copyright 2000 Harris Fleming - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-02-15 04:16 PM

Mister:

Welcome to CA.  I want to let you know I enjoyed it despite its seeming simplicity and occasional cliche sounding lines.  What I appreciated first, however, was not the wording or the subject matter, but, rather, the rhythm.  This is a deceptively simple poem.  My question: was your choice of rhythm deliberate or did it come naturally to you?

"Seldom seen
The two in love
Together in time
So far from today"

"Together in time" seems a little cliche'd but "So far from today" doesn't seem cliche'd to me.  Together, I can live with the two lines.  The wording, however, seems a little bland.  It does not evoke strong images and, I think, borders on being overly vague.

"Often heard
Words of desire
Trading on tortures
So long in reserve"

With "Often heard" I thought you were going to tie everything together with a sensory theme.  While I remain impressed with the rhythm you set, I am left wondering: What tortures? What words of desire?  Held in reserve for what?

"Always aware
The distance thrives
Feeding on feelings
Of depths unfulfilled"

This is where my thoughts of a sensory theme ended.  I like "the distance thrives".  "Thrives" isn't a word often coupled with "distance" and I thought your use of the two words together was imaginative.  I think I would have like to see the feelings described in a little more detail.  Then "depths unfulfilled" would have more impact, I think.

"Never enough
The time is spent
Reaching for rainbows
In the wake of a storm"

I like the imagery and the idea but "reaching for rainbows" and "wake of the storm" seem a bit over-used to me.  

My suggestion would be to go for more precise language.  I think the danger of writing a compact piece of poetry is being too vague.  Your rhythm was very well controlled throughout and gave much of your poem a certain, pleasing lilt.  Combine that with more precise wording and I think you would have a very memoraible poem here.

Thanks for the read.

Jim

carolyn smale
since 2000-02-02
Posts 20
australia
2 posted 2000-02-16 08:11 AM

mister61 (i'm hoping there aren't 60 others),
this was much better than the appalling "music".

better in that you avoided rhyme and enormous amounts of "poemising".

that aside i felt this was a poem that was written because you wanted to write a poem, but didn't really have anything to write about. it's a string of images that don't really mean anything much. i could maybe forgive that if they were new and interesting images, which, generally, they're not.

1.Seldom seen
2.The two in love
3.Together in time
4.So far from today

5.Often heard
6.Words of desire
7.Trading on tortures
8.So long in reserve

9.Always aware
10.The distance thrives
11.Feeding on feelings
12.Of depths unfulfilled

13.Never enough
14.The time is spent
15.Reaching for rainbows
16.In the wake of a storm

1,2,3 & 4. why are they seldom seen? who are they? all i can see is 2 hermits, in love, at some time in the past or future.

5. seems as if it must relate to "seldom seen" but then it doesn't.
6. i think bit close to "wings of desire"
7.probably my favourite line
words of desire that are frequently heard trade on tortures than have been kept in storage.

12. too "poemy"
absence makes the heart grow fonder

15& 16. too poemy and cliched.
not enough time dreaming in tempests

it's something to do with a love/hate relationship i think.

I agree with bouder that the rhythm's ok. it sounds OK when you first read it, but when you look at it closely, it's not so good. not good enough to spend the effort i just have trying to figure it out!

take trading on tortures and write a new poem. try to avoid antique language, "poemy" language and rhyme. I'm sure you'll do well.

thanks, carolyn.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Delicate balance

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary