navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » If's and If Onlys
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic If's and If Onlys Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Joanna T. Lopez
since 2000-02-02
Posts 33
El Paso, Texas

0 posted 2000-02-10 02:43 PM

Come with me
I will show you the
If's and If Onlys.

They are not hard to visualize
nor hard to touch!
Bear in mind though
fantasies are reality,
Therefore,
reality is fantasy!

Before I can show you
the what if's and if only's
there is one thing you must
be sure of.

Does your individual
live in a world of
Fantasy or Reality?

[This message has been edited by Joanna T. Lopez (edited 02-10-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Joanna T. Lopez - All Rights Reserved
cheryl cook
since 2000-02-07
Posts 12

1 posted 2000-02-10 08:07 PM

Joanna,
I enjoyed the calm, sweetness to the poem, and was left with a feeling of the "if they jump you will catch them" atmosphere.
In the second stanza the second line is too lengthy for my liking.  Try something like "nor hard to touch" and leave out the unnecessary words.  I am not a fan of the word YOU being in all capitals, i feel it distracts from the poem. You poem does contain a bit of vague characteristics...you may have desired this effect, but as a reader i do not feel strongly impacted or like i have reached a climax.  

Joanna T. Lopez
since 2000-02-02
Posts 33
El Paso, Texas
2 posted 2000-02-10 09:22 PM

cheryl,

As you can see I made the changes you have suggested, 2nd line 2nd stanza.
"nor are they hard to touch" did seem a bit bumpy. As for the YOU in the 3rd line 3rd
stanza, the all caps were a last second typo change prior to submitting, honestly it did'nt feel right when I was doing it, but I thought well try it, what the h...! maybe it will read well, maybe not...NOT.  I 100% agree.

Also I made the change 2nd line 3rd stanza
from Only's to only's, it was an honest typo on my part.  Climaxing tis not, but vague indeed, yea you hit it right on the tail.  Thanks Cheryl! It's amazing how changing or deleteing just one word or letter for that matter, can make a piece read totally different(it's like magic) and I love magic.

Hasta Luego Cheryl!

[This message has been edited by Joanna T. Lopez (edited 02-11-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » If's and If Onlys

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary