navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #51 » Greener
Open Poetry #51
Post A Reply Post New Topic Greener Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2021-02-05 08:34 PM

Greener

The grass is always greener.
That’s what they always say,
Spending their whole lives chasing
The one that got away.
With unflinching demeanor,
Happiness around the bend.
And no time spent embracing
What’s right in front of them.

The elegance of shadow,
A whisper in the ear.
Mysteries of the morrow
That make today disappear.
The magic of a sideshow
We use to entertain,
Sell our souls, lap up sorrow—
Secretly revere pain.

Emotional attrition,
Visible to eyes well worn.
We perceive ourselves denied,
So stand ready… battle-born!
Colloquial ambition
Rapacity thrust afore.
At some point are we satisfied?
Or will we still need more?

Michael Anderson

© Copyright 2021 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
1 posted 2021-02-06 03:33 PM

Michael...Really enjoyed. This sounds like some of those one or two line ideas you told me about that have come together to create one special poem. Thanks for sharing...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
2 posted 2021-02-14 10:18 AM

In recent years I find my brain screaming out the word, "freedom". In selfish moments I've found myself wanting ALL rather than more. Maybe that is just my warped nature to do whatever I please. I have said for a while that the grass is greener wherever you water it, but that is changing too since some grass is just naturally and stubbornly of a dead and thirsty appearance no matter how much I try.

Enjoyed this, Michael.  I hope I'm not too far off track with my rambling.  I often wait for a quiet spot in my days to read your work. I do that so that my mind is totally free to settle around everything you are saying.

"I know this love will tear me to pieces
I know his hands will dig up my secrets"

Meg Myers

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 2021-02-14 08:09 PM

Paul it was kind of just that…the well used line “the grass is always greener” popped in mind at witnessing someone close to me.  Someone who has a ton to appreciate in their life, but who choose to wallow in the nothingness of mind, eyes fixed on what they can’t have.  

Glad you enjoyed.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2021-02-14 08:21 PM

Jenn, I don’t know how you do it but you always get my mind into deep delve mode.  The need of watering is essential for all grass, of course.  The removal of weeds goes a long way towards a healthy outlook, too.  If the grass is excessively stubborn though, maybe a closer look to the soil the grass is planted in needs to be examined.  Can’t plant your seed in rocky, hard soil and then blame the grass for the result.  Well, I guess you can but…  it’s not like I have a green thumb anyway.  
Forlorn Angel
Posts 143

5 posted 2021-03-17 01:16 AM

Okay I am addicted to your poetry and this one reminds me of someone I know very well. The following lines really spoke to me but the whole poem ties it up into one nice package! Loved it!

The elegance of shadow,
A whisper in the ear.
Mysteries of the morrow
That make today disappear.
The magic of a sideshow
We use to entertain,
Sell our souls, lap up sorrow—
Secretly revere pain.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #51 » Greener

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary