navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Bucket Lists and Other Last Minute Thoughts
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bucket Lists and Other Last Minute Thoughts Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2020-10-31 06:45 AM

Last minute thoughts
persisting.
Every time I light up
and cough,
My COPD reminds me
that Covid will kill me quick.
Once behind sterile walls,
forget the list and never mind the bucket.
Just you, the respirator and regret.
If there was anything in life I didn’t get.
Too bad, so sad.
Sucks for me.
I feel the panic rise
when I realize
all I have compromised
pleasing others.
for as long as I can remember,
making people happy
was the way to be.
Self worthiness
dependent upon
someone else’s happiness
that never quite seemed
to materialize.
Trying to bloom
where I plant
myself.
I’m withering
in soil
that is life sustaining  
The prism within me
is longing for illumination
and casting rainbows.                                                                                                                                              

LGR(C)11/20/20

© Copyright 2020 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2020-10-31 06:51 PM

This may be one of the saddest poems I have ever read.  The self-realization in it is astounding, especially in context with the point in life it is taking place.

quote:
Self worthiness
dependent upon
someone else’s happiness
that never quite seemed
to materialize.

That is the saddest part of all.  A lesson many of us never learn...that we have to define our own happiness, it cannot be dependent on another's.  

Hugs Lori, I know no one is looking for praise when they write a poem like this.

Michael

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
2 posted 2020-10-31 10:25 PM

Lori...All I can say is be strong and hold on to those that love you and your eternal reward will be yours,,,Pail

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
3 posted 2020-11-01 04:38 AM

Michael,
I appreciate your sensitive response to my poem.This is why I haven't been posting much,
I prefer to be more upbeat. ~L

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
4 posted 2020-11-01 04:45 AM

Paul,
Thanks for your comforting and inspirational words. ~L

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
5 posted 2020-11-10 12:23 PM

Hmm - we did what we did, said what we said, acted right or wrong in context with whatever. We lived,  our life pressured by prevailing circumstances, by our hearts and souls, and Others who filled our days with unforeseen, and often, uncontrollable circumstances - and now, with the end down there somewhere, just at the edge of sight, we begin to bemoan our past. We lived our lives the best way we could at the time, often indecisive of which corner to turn.
The one constant, here, that we have to remember.  It's all said and done - it's the past, and we need to live for today, tomorrow, healing what wounds we can, if necessary, and letting our psyches smile at the good things we've done.
Only God is perfect, and he judges the whole, not the parts we choose to display as we ponder the years and actions of our past.   Live with who you are and your perceived shortcomings will be buried by the rest of your soul.

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
6 posted 2020-11-11 10:42 AM

Lori, all my thougts in this terrible experience for you to vinquish fate, your poem is extraordinary

best regards

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
7 posted 2020-11-11 02:35 PM

Jimmy,
You are more than just a little bit right. I appreciate your wise words and take comfort in them. Bless your heart! ~L

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
8 posted 2020-11-11 02:38 PM

Yann,
Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I always appreciate hearing what you have to say. ~L

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
9 posted 2020-11-15 08:46 AM

This is definitely one of the more sad ones I've read from you, but that is okay. Write what lies upon your soul no matter what. You never know who you may find in need of an epiphany on the other end of the cast line.

As for worth being dependent on other people's happiness, I can say that is always a biblical struggle for me. My upbringing in churches taught me that we are here to help others before ourselves, but there is a chance that circumstances of life along the way caused the understanding of the message to get a little warped.

Enjoyed!

"I know this love will tear me to pieces
I know his hands will dig up my secrets"

Meg Myers

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
10 posted 2020-11-15 09:10 AM

Oh Sweetie,
thanks so much for the read and understanding.
I'm quite sure my thinking is a little warped in more ways than one. If life is like a grocery store with anything you could want and I can't figure out what to fix for supper....
Trying to come to terms with my ducks in disarray and cats unherded. ~L

Gunslinger
since 1999-10-09
Posts 901
TX, USA
11 posted 2020-11-16 01:30 PM

Regrets... they are the glue that hold the flattened squirrels together on the road of life. Very poignant write, Lori.

My referral was to-"The road of life is paved by flattened squirrels who could not make their minds up."

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
12 posted 2020-11-18 09:27 AM

I love it!
Think I may have been flattened a few times alright. Thanks for the great comment! ~L

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Bucket Lists and Other Last Minute Thoughts

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary