navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Boy and the Book
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Boy and the Book Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2020-09-20 12:46 PM

The Boy and the Book

“Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.”

Strange words for a man to read
From this book they call the Bible.

He remembers that fancy book
From when he was a boy,
Set there on his grandmother’s coffee table.
He remembers a bearded man
On the high-gloss front cover,
The foldout genealogy chart
Just inside of it.

He remembers the thickness of this book,
Perfect for the smashing
Of black funeral roses
For someone he never met.
Or was that the dictionary?
Her two thick books proudly on display,
More show pieces than anything
Serving an actual purpose.

He remembers the artwork.
Full page paintings on one page
Opposite the correlating stories
He now knows to be:
The Tower of Babel,
The archangel Michael,
The resurrected Christ.

It’s startling to him
Just how much he remembers
Of a book last seen
In adolescence.
Even more so,
The fact that at 53
He is only now learning
The words inside.

Were they not part of this training it speaks of?

Michael Anderson

9/19/2020

© Copyright 2020 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
1 posted 2020-09-20 01:00 PM

Michael...Tender words, memories and teachings from your youth. Loved this very much. Makes me remember my youth, not a whole lot of religion in my upbringing, but when I was about 12 years old I found God on my own and am so very blessed to have accepted him into my life. Thanks for sharing...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Starmcneil 1955
Posts 174
Alberta, Canada
2 posted 2020-09-20 02:40 PM

Sometimes the Book is only for show and one never studies His words...I spend time everyday studying the Word of God and find amazing comfort in it in todays world...I remember the book from my childhood but I needed to discover more on my own...well done...I really like this poem
augustsky
Posts 828
midwest US
3 posted 2020-09-20 06:05 PM

Michael, Enjoyed your angle on this fine &
original piece. In my world back in the day it seemed almost everyone we knew had the
'Big' Bible in their house somewhere..the 1
with an ornate cover..where family births & deaths were recorded.

Well done..

Sky~

~Tell me the story about how the sun
loved the moon so much..he died every
night to let her breathe~

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2020-09-20 09:30 PM

I had my first introduction at about 12 years old too, Paul.  We had been raised Catholic but moved out to the country and church had been abandoned in my house for a few years.  Ever Sunday, while my family slept and I played outside a Big Blue church bus would come around, and the driver would ask me if I wanted to go to Sunday School.   One day I finally did go and came to discover the bus driver was also the pastor.  I learned a lot in a few months, till my mom noticed I was gone one Sunday morning and grilled me on it when I returned.

The next weekend she went to church with me.  Maybe 15 minutes into the sermon she drug me out by my ear cursing at me for bringing her into the devil’s abode.  It was a Pentecostal church and my mother, well she was Catholic.  I realized at that very young age that the Word was of God…religion was of man, even if I might not have known how to say it back then.

When I was 18 and moved out on my own, I returned to that church, and that very same pastor.  In a non-denominational church now but I do not pay attention to denomination at all.  Too much judging when you get into things like that.

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
5 posted 2020-09-20 09:35 PM

Karen, I think we all need to discover the deeper sentiment of the Bible on our own, but when this memory came upon me I was just taken back a little by all the flashiness of that Bible that, if I remember right, we were not supposed to “play with” as kids.  We were never taught the stories in it, or any of the myriad things a parent or grandparent might want to share of the Bible with the younger generation.  In reading that Proverb the other day, I just felt I had to put this to words.  Thank you for your kind reply.

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
6 posted 2020-09-20 09:43 PM

Thank you, Sky~.  I shared this poem with my sister last night and she sent me a pic from the inside of the very same Bible, I guess my grandmother left it with her after she died.  In it, though, there was still the stem from a flower that had been pressed between the pages of it.  The entire concept of keeping a Bible closed to preserve a funeral flower I find somewhat perverse.  Bibles, in my opinion, are meant to be opened and far more than one day a week at your pastors direction.  I was hoping I had been wrong about the flower and that it had been kept in the dictionary but I wasn’t.

Michael

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
7 posted 2020-09-23 10:44 PM

I love this. Mine sits on the shelf in much the same way. This poem brings back some memories for sure. The question you pose is a good one. When I was younger I assumed most everyone knew about God, church, and the Bible.  I've been in and out of church my whole life.  Actually got a complex for a while. Convinced myself that I was evil and unworthy.

Two grandparents were pentecostal preachers. Their bibles were well used and we'll worn. Now my father and stepfather are pastors. They're non denominational.

I have questioned the beginning scripture though.  I have seen it work, and I have seen it not work.

"How much is real? So much to question
An epidemic of the mannequins
Contaminating everything"

Stone Sour

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
8 posted 2020-09-24 11:45 PM

Excellent piece Michael and really enjoyed the read without the rhyme.

Really good point you made too.  I don't follow religion - I have my beliefs and
fantacies (religion if you please) and gave up the bible thumping many, many years ago (driven to, actually) And have never had to look back. And am perfectly comfortable with my choice. Church is everything

Much enjoyed,

j.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
9 posted 2020-09-27 10:39 AM

Ah, Jenn...you spoke what I was getting at.  I love to see a well worn Bible.  that show the Word being used properly right there.  In life there are many things that people don't see as functioning properly or meeting their measure somehow...  Sometimes avenues haven't been explored deeply enough to see all that may come by driving down it.  As humans, we tend to be a little more short-sided to the inconvenient.  There is also the fact you can ask 10 different person for their interpretation on a Bible verse and get 10 diffferent responses.  

We all believe some things to be self-evident.  The manner in which they are self-evident seems to differ though.  

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
10 posted 2020-09-27 10:42 AM

Thank you, James.  Religion is a scary thing.  The Crusades are there to remind us what atrocities man is capable of doing in the name of their God.  I'll leave it to God, thank you.

Michael

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Boy and the Book

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary