navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Tapestry
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Tapestry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2020-08-03 08:17 PM

The Tapestry

No tapestry hung on the wall,
On the desk sets no crown.
A vacant room, end of the hall,
All the trophies laid down.
His monument to nothingness,
The only truth he’s known.
The far gone cries of *we or *us
Ashes to the wind thrown.

A lifetime trying to fit in,
That ship long ago sailed.
Memory yet tallies to sin
What hope never availed.
It’s true a man might see so far
He could wish himself blind,
Still never escape, chances are,
The tapestry of mind.

It’s not the words, or how they fall
From voice in mind to page—
Not unseen writings on the wall,
Nor prophesy from sage.
It’s not the clouds, as they roll in,
Nor faces that they bring.
‘Tis but a darkness deep within
That forces him to sing.

A depiction of art might show
Each poem’s a headstone.
…For Hope been lost, for Love’s dire cost
If carried on, alone.
...Lost time revealed, Wounds never healed,
Wishes been laid to rest.
...The scars unseen, a golden mean
To forego all thought best.

To take forsaken measure of
All dreaming once imposed.
Belief in hope, in life, in love,
Those doors forever closed.
To understand, by gestures grand,
Shadow will leave its trace,
Just not surprise unto dead eyes,
Opened to her embrace.

A million ways to write each verse,
At once he sees them all
As Time belays this devil’s curse
As the rain starts to fall.
Song in refrain, voyage of pain,
The world could never see
How tired the hope of this myope,
This living travesty.

His search for peace, not just release
Of a soul cursed to bleed.
To find true rest, and duly blessed,
The laying down of need.
Sleep, without sound, a hallowed ground
Voices might let him be.
To close his eyes and realize
Death’s finally set him free.

Pinching the flame, his candle spent,
‘Finds the door in the dark.
Through halls of shame, to world forewent,
‘Steps out to leave his mark.
Stares at the cold, unknowing state—
Sigh taken by the winds.
Bare feet to snow will greet his fate,
It's there the tapestry ends.

Michael Anderson

8/03/2020

© Copyright 2020 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
1 posted 2020-08-03 10:42 PM

Michael...I'm sure you must be tired of me singing praises of your poetry, but seems like each one I read is better than the last one.
My take on this poem is its about a famous poet, maybe Edgar Allen Poe or perhaps yourself and the suffering went thru and the death that finally sets him or you free.
Thanks for sharing...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
2 posted 2020-08-04 12:03 PM

Whether there is freedom in death depends on your belief about the other side. It possibly wasn't intentional,  but the "pinching the flame" line made me think that I'd rather let the flame go out in it's own no matter how much I might want to extinguish it. I do live this although it is wandering and sad.

"How much is real? So much to question
An epidemic of the mannequins
Contaminating everything"

Stone Sour

Starmcneil 1955
Posts 174
Alberta, Canada
3 posted 2020-08-04 10:59 AM

It feels to me the Tapestry is woven through much pain and endurance is difficult...your words go deep and deeper still but I choose to keep the flame lit...life is unpredictable and you never know when pain and become healing...very well written
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2020-08-08 03:14 PM

All poets I think weave their own tapestry, Paul.  While this poem is of course shaded by my own views, it wasn't personalized to myself or any other one poet in particular...though definitely would suit the whole class of *graveyard poets I am sure.

I feel they are a people who were driven to write more so than maybe chose to.  And whose struggles in even feeling remotely at home in society never succeeded, ultimately leaving them romanticizing death.

If you've never read "Thomas Parnell: A Night-Piece on Death."  I think you might enjoy it.  It speaks volumes of a society that fears the only true thing we can count on in life.  Something that maybe could be a little more appreciated?  

Other cultures celebrate the passing of a life for the life it was, and the chance to share it.  Here, we tend to mourn and are taught to so selfishly, making it more about us than the person who has passed on, which I can confidently say in most every case is not something the deceased would want for us...

One last note.  I appreciate the praise you give me more than you know, Paul.  Writing dark, as I said is something I have to do, though not many people know how to respond to it and even fewer share in the emotions.  That you do share in the feeling, and do take the time to reply as often as you do I thank you for sincerely.

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
5 posted 2020-08-08 03:23 PM

Nice take on the "Pinching the flame" line, Jenn.  While the line isn't speaking on pinching the flame of life itself, it is speaking of pinching the flame of hope.  You know, that one little thread that keeps us all moving forward, in essence, giving up the wish that there ever will be something to live for, and choosing to just go out and take what the world throws at you... either as punishment for ever hoping to begin with, or as the destiny some higher powers procured for you without your consent.  A fate that you know is escapable only via death...and so you now go looking for it.

If you are in a position where you would rather let it go out of its own accord, you are much better off, trust me.  

Thank you for the read and reply, dear.

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
6 posted 2020-08-08 03:31 PM

Karen, choosing to keep the flame lit is right where a person should be.  The brighter you shine, the more people your flame warms.  It  is the person who can't see their own shine that tend to get lost in the dark and cold.  If I have a hope at all, is is that there may be a turning point somewhere, and that maybe, just maybe, the darkness I've endured can be used to help others out of a similar darkness, or at least reassure them they are not truly as alone in it as they might feel.  

Michael

Starmcneil 1955
Posts 174
Alberta, Canada
7 posted 2020-08-09 09:05 AM

Thank you for your reply Michael...you hit the nail on the head...sounds like you are open to that light and a great way to find it is to help others as best you can...darkness sometimes wants to fill us but light is always close by each to their own light...your comments are as thoughtful as you poems...thank you
augustsky
Posts 828
midwest US
8 posted 2020-08-14 10:25 PM

Cold feet upon snow..that reminded me of a dare by my brother long ago, sorry, just a silly thing.

I miss your Tapestries my Poet Friend..

Sky~

Sometimes..Miracles are just good people
with kind hearts~

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
9 posted 2020-08-15 01:09 PM

Had very few muse offerings this week, Sky~, or at least *inspiring ones.  Prolly a mental thing…don’t want to write too much dark and not try to at least balance it with something else.  Will see if I can come up with something tonight.  

Michael

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Tapestry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary