navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Clock
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Clock Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2020-06-12 09:01 PM

The Clock

The clock, it has two faces.
That’s good, cause so do I.
A man who's run two races;
Against death—against sigh.
Woeful dreams of ambition
Outdistanced long ago;
Call it price of tuition,
Today I just walk slow.

Finish line in the distance,
Outcome already clear.
I offer no resistance,
Mind set to persevere.
Such a long time wading through
Squabbling society,
For the day I am made new,
And the soul is set free.

A whisper from the shadow—
A tethered hand of sleight
That blends with the afterglow,
Of day slipping to night.
‘Used to seek him openly,
To shakes of the head, “no!”
These days, he walks beside me
Most everywhere I go.

This desert soil, a garden
To one with a soul parched.
I never begged a pardon
Anywhere else I’ve marched.
But here, I am trespassing.
Here, reverence is due.
The vultures are amassing,
I’m guessing that’s my cue.

Michael Anderson

6/12/2020

[This message has been edited by Michael (06-12-2020 10:35 PM).]

© Copyright 2020 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
1 posted 2020-06-12 10:54 PM

Enjoyed this my friend - especially liked and wish I had thought of ...

"The vultures are amassing,
I’m guessing that’s my cue."

Had a sad ring, yet, chuckle and certain beauty in the verbiage.

j.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
2 posted 2020-06-13 11:24 AM

Thank you James,

I think the difference in tone my be a sliding from "resigned to" towards "accepting" of that which awaits us all.

I definitely wanted it to be lighter reading.

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
3 posted 2020-06-14 12:32 PM

When I see someone else talking about setting the soul free, my mind automatically jumps to religion and death. When I write about it myself, it is almost never what I mean. What is interesting is that you've made me think that since I don't always mean it as religion and death that I should consider that others are just as inclined to use the subject in a different way. I've always known that I shouldn't limit my thinking to the "norms", but this caught me in a moment of doing just that. It may be referring to exactly what I saw, but it still caused me to remember to consider alternatives.  

There is benefit to slowing down in life. There is also inspiration in being able to have different parts coexist without so much battle for one to be in front. I realize this is not always a consistent peace.
I'm curious about the vultures because I'm not making a connection on what they represent for you here. It's probably my morning brain fog keeping me from seeing something obvious.  

"Maybe that's the way I should go
Straight into the mouth of the unknown"

Shinedown

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2020-06-14 02:16 PM

heh, Jenn, I usually wrap my poems in vagueness as much as possible.  Not just so they may be more open to interpretation but just a bit of self modesty I guess.  many parts are double entendres, which we discussed, and can be read more than one way and correct in whichever light they are seen.  Your question on the releasing of the soul would probably fit there.  There are many ways to read that but the following line about being "made new" I put in to give it more of a religious overtone.

The vultures most people will just see as feathered pickers of the bones of the dead.  In this case, it's more a reference to my family who all seem to have a sick materialist fetish to claim as much of a passing family member's belongings as they can, almost like it's a contest.  One that makes me utterly sick.  We were planning a family trip to go see my mother who has stage 4 cancer when I wrote this.  The poem really wasn't finished and I left it off with that line, thinking I would come back, edit the poem and give it a real ending. I didn't end up doing that...just posted it is and left the ending as it was.  It seemed to fit.  When I die, I am sure the vultures will feed.   They might mourn a day or two later...but first, they WILL feed!

Michael

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
5 posted 2020-06-14 10:25 PM

Michael...This reads like every stanza is a different poem, showing the different decisions we go thru in our lives. The first stanza leaves me confused as to it's meaning
After reading your post to Temptress the rest of the poem makes perfect since to me.
By the way enjoyed very much

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
6 posted 2020-06-15 09:36 AM

Paul, In the first stanza, I am speaking of two races I've ran...against Death, and against Sigh.  At a very young age I learned of death.  By the time i was 13 i lost three of my closest friends, not long after that my father and grandmother; the only two family members I had any type of bond with.  I began to think it was a curse of some sort...it aided me in what was ultimately to become my withdrawal from society.  I charged death head on for many years, thinking I deserved to be next?  To save others i dared not openly care for?  To keep him from having so much power over me?  I do not know all the reasons I suppose...but those were there in my very young, but deep seeing mind.

The race against Sigh was the fact that at one point in my life I was told I could accomplish anything.  What I was never told was the cost.  The longer I lived, the more I found I could accomplish anything...anything except feeling the natural feelings of love and joy I saw in everyone else around me.  That being the case, every accomplishment felt like a wasted effort.  I became the guy who intentionally would lose a contest just to see the joy in the victor's eyes I knew by all accounts I would not have should I win.

I gave in...and the loss in the race against Sigh left me with only Death whom I charged head on...only to have him refuse me too.  Everywhere I go, I still seem to go hand in hand with Death...only now I walk and wait patiently.  

Anyhow, the two stanza I left out may have clarified things better.  Maybe I will try to finish them at a later date.  It's obvious now I should at least make the attempt.  Thank you.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (06-20-2020 07:26 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Clock

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary