navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Window Washer
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Window Washer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

0 posted 2020-01-09 03:44 AM

The Window Washer

There was a secretary working on the 34th floor
at her desk in a chair by the new boss’s door.
She could work and polish nails with a snobbish delight,
type a letter, take dictation in the absence of light,
brew the coffee, answer phones, solve the problems that bind,
dab on lipstick and perfume, arrange a meeting on time.

Outside her window, lightly beat the rain and freezing snow
on a window washer working on the 34th floor.
Up at dawn, pack a lunch, wife and kids are asleep.
Off to work, catch a train from the somber, silent street.
Check the gears, add some oil and it’s up and up he’ll go
to meet with Mr. Clean upon the 34th floor.

She writes a note and holds it up. He sees it at last.
His frozen fingers write one too and puts it up to glass.
Hers said “It’s 72 degrees! Come in and take a chair.”
His said “It’s 50 bucks an hour ma’am, in freezing rain out here.”

Just when you think your thinking is the only way that’s true,
there’s a window washer working with another point of view.

Namyh

[This message has been edited by Namyh (01-10-2020 02:14 AM).]

© Copyright 2020 Namyh - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2020-01-09 02:42 PM

You know, not being able to appreciate other's view points is all that's wrong in general with humanity.  Being open-minded enough to allow that their can be more to life then just the way you see it is a key to peace.

This was so simple, Namyh...and yet hits a very tender truth.

Enjoyed

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
2 posted 2020-01-10 03:30 PM

Namyh...Really liked this poem, especially the last stanza...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

3 posted 2020-01-10 09:28 PM

Michael - One problem with the human condition is its possessive jealousy, implying that what it desires should be good enough for everybody else. And it ain't necessarily so. Stepping back from this and putting someone else's desires above your own has been a stumbling block in politics, the economy, on the job and even in the bedroom. Some of us have learned. Some of us are learning. And some of us will never learn. Mankind……..still a baby who cries not knowing a change of pampers can change your thinking! Happy you enjoyed Mike. Namyh

[This message has been edited by Namyh (01-11-2020 04:39 PM).]

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

4 posted 2020-01-10 09:38 PM

Paul - I knew you would be coming. So, I saved that last stanza for ya. Glad you showed up for the window washing. Namyh
soul drifter
since 2004-09-08
Posts 711
Colorado
5 posted 2020-01-11 03:17 PM

Wow, I absolutely loved this. I loved the little details of each of their own worlds and I loved the story you were telling, I stayed plugged into it until the very end, and I love what you did there at the end. Outstanding. Keeping this...
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

6 posted 2020-01-12 07:25 AM

soul drifter - So very happy you enjoyed all with a special appreciation for the final stanza. Some people are so blindly convinced that their opinions, biases, likes and dislikes are correct enough that everyone is wrong not having them too. It’s the kind of disease that makes everyone sick except the one who’s got it. I wrote this for those so afflicted and maybe on the lookout for a medical cure, especially when it just might be of the poetic kind. Thanks for droppin’ in for a little window washing enjoyment SD. Namyh
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
7 posted 2020-01-13 02:32 AM

Absolutely delightful approach to common sense and reasoning with sincerity I really enjoyed the read thanks for posting Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

8 posted 2020-01-13 08:16 AM

Ethome -  Amazing it is how what separates one person from another sometimes is an idea, a belief or maybe just a pane of glass. You might not believe this but this was written one night to the beat and tune of Chuck Berry’s “Johnny B Good”. Don’t ask about the rum! LOL. We poets are sponges. We soak up inspiration from anywhere and when we finally wring ourselves dry.....out pops a poem! Hallelujah for that and thanks for enjoying Eric. Namyh
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
9 posted 2020-01-14 03:36 AM

Yes, we are sponges. however the inspiration from Johnny be Good is interesting to say the least. I would love to have $20 right now for every time we played that while I was in the band in the sixties I'd have quite a bit of cash. But Chuck was an innovator and he made a lot of noise good stuff!

true love never looks after it's own interests

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » The Window Washer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary