navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Pile of Dirt
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pile of Dirt Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2019-04-15 03:08 AM

I was finally able
to bring myself
to visit your pile of dirt.
My need to decorate
your little spot,
helped to dissipate the hurt.
I gathered things
from around the yard
that made me think of you.
There was the rusty dog
cut from tin,
that has your grin.
It’s not a schnauzer,
but for now, it will do.
I put a solar light
where I can see you
from the porch at night.
I borrowed two brass butterflies
from the rock garden.
They stick in the ground with wire
that lets them bob in the breeze
like the head of a flower.
My little sign
that simply says LOVE
stands straight at your head
where I put the planter box
Aunt Kate made.
It holds yellow silk flowers
and a tiny painted bird house.
It adds a special touch
because the planter means so much.
Soon your dirt will be overgrown
with transplants of hardy wild violets
and bulbs of tulips and iris.
I have some marigold seeds I might just plant
for some color in the fall.
I’m glad I went to see you today
because I discovered a new way
to love you that barely hurts at all.

LGR(C)4/15/10

© Copyright 2019 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
augustsky
Posts 828
midwest US
1 posted 2019-04-18 03:45 AM

Well..now I'm just one big mush-ball..
So touching is your write Lori, had me thinking of the pets I'd had & lost..remember
carrying around the kleenex box I cried so much. This was so dear & sweet, & I know it helps to write.

Thoughts are with you..
Sky~

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2019-04-18 03:02 PM

Lori, I saw this pretty much straight after you posted it, but the floodgates opened again, and I just couldn't reply.  I thought I could reply tonight without tears, but how stupid could I be?  At least I knew what to expect this time, and my tears are more under control now than the first time I read this.  Besides, bringing back tears for all my furbabies in Heaven and memories of Flicka's grave that tears me to pieces that I am unable to visit now because of my car having gone on fire in 2013, it wrenches me in two that you will never send me messages from Winston again, and that your heart is in tatters without him.  Your poem is very beautiful, but what I most wanted to say from the first time I read this, is that I am very glad that you have had this experience and that you can have many more, as often as you want to.  I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relate and I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO understand the need to visit his grave and grow a garden and have a stone.  I had 2 pretty little garden signs - one called Flicka's Garden of Remembrance and the other In Memory of Flicka.  Rest and play in peace, darling Winston-woofie - love from your Auntie Di who used to be far across the huuuuge water bowl, but is now down below you, sweet, sweet, doggie.  

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
3 posted 2019-04-18 06:13 PM

Sky,
Bless your heart for commenting. I was afraid no one would and I would be left wondering why. I suppose that for some, Owl for example,
my words are painful and thus an unpleasant experience of refreshing grief. I might not want to read me either if I know it is going to put the hurt on my heart. ~L

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
4 posted 2019-04-18 06:21 PM

Owl,
Bless your tender heart. I hate it that it makes you recall your own time when grief was new. I hope within your tears you find happy memories too. You bless me with your very, very special comments. Thank you. ~L

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
5 posted 2019-04-22 10:31 PM

Friday was the 6 year anniversary of my Kate crossing the rainbow bridge. I finally live near her memorial and it gave me comfort to put fresh flowers for her - pink, of course. That afternoon, I was blessed to see not just a full arc rainbow, but a double one.
All of which is just to say I understand this so well... and send hugs along with my appreciation for the write.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2019-04-23 03:21 PM

The things we do for the ones we love. Very nice, Lori.
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
7 posted 2019-04-23 03:39 PM

Suthern,
You are so sweet to share your blessing of your Kate with me. Thank you. ~L

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
8 posted 2019-04-23 04:15 PM

Thank you Karilea,
We hate to think about a day we know is coming. I wish we had plotted out this area a year ago with the perennials around the yard.
His corner has needed attention for years, it has been a hard to mow, weedy eyesore. I have an abundance of wild things I can wrangle to this corner and let them grow wild among the new ones I'm adding to the play group.~L

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
9 posted 2019-04-28 11:53 AM

This one touches my heart deeply, Lori.  Any words I could offer seem inadequate compared to the depth of your loss.
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
10 posted 2019-04-28 04:38 PM

Thank you Michael,
I've never grieved a pet like this before. I appreciate your kindness, ~L

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Pile of Dirt

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary